Software
Houzz Logo Print
sanderellers

Living room decor & layout....what's missing?

6 years ago

I've recently updated my main floor from traditional/brown/golds to modern grey/white/silver. I can't seem to get this living room right and I can't pinpoint what is missing. I'm not sure if decor/art along the fireplace wall will do it and what to put there. I'm not committed to anything in this room. The desk and pet lizard enclosure have to stay for now, though not long term. Paint and hardwood not changing for now. This room is open to the kitchen and the eat-in area is on the other side of the cutout. It's also in direct sight-line from the front door. I feel like there's too much going on, but not enough? I don't know what's missing. Would love to hear/see your suggestions! TIA!





Comments (21)

  • 6 years ago

    I think you need a solid rug.

    sanderellers thanked Rachel Lee
  • 6 years ago

    Personally I would like an accent color (usually 3 places in the room i.e pillow , throw, candles). Too many pillows unless no one ever sits in this room. I would take the tall candle sticks off the mantle

    sanderellers thanked jck910
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Just needs some art on both sides of the fireplace and mantle could be layered as it feels lined up. You could replace some cushions with a color that’s in the artwork to lighten room up a bit




    You could adjust your curtains - see link https://pin.it/4HlPNe4






    sanderellers thanked Maureen
  • 6 years ago

    Side tables and lamps.

  • 6 years ago

    I feel like you need to lighten up the coffee table. Here's a room with basically the same colors as yours with a more open table.


    City Townhome · More Info


    Agree that you should remove the candle holders and add some color with pillows. A solid rug would be nice but you've probably invested a bit into the one you have, so I'd start with a different coffee table a a few color pillows.

    sanderellers thanked tozmo1
  • 6 years ago

    You have a nice room. What I feel is lacking is what I call personality. I have no idea what you are like ( except for the pet lizard) or anything about your life.


    Maybe display something you have picked up in your travels or a favorite piece of art.

    sanderellers thanked lindacottonwood
  • 6 years ago

    I think your room looks good.

    sanderellers thanked tob123
  • 6 years ago

    A lighter coffee table, like glass, as others suggested. Maybe an oval one, since you have lots of squares and rectangles in the room. Remove the line of candles under the mirror. I think it’s pretty!!

    sanderellers thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 6 years ago

    Has a lovely look already; youve done a great job. My first reaction when you asked for help is that you don’t have enough light in there. Heres my take but a quick question: what color is your couch, gold?

    sanderellers thanked Shoemaker
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!! I will move some things from other areas of my home and update pics. (Redecorating a whole main floor is stressful, but I have enough "stuff" to open a home decor store, just no idea what to do with it all!! I'll have to post other rooms in need of a good eye). The lack of personality is bang on! This room doesn't "spark joy" and reminds me of an impersonal hotel lobby - which is not what I'm going for.

    The sofa is a hand me down. I hate it and finally convinced my husband to replace it!! It's very beige. The pillows and throws are hiding torn and stained fabric. I am ready to order a new one today! The rug is also old, too brown and ready to move to the basement. Stay tuned.

  • 6 years ago

    You need to hang your drapes higher and they should be to the floor and need to be much fuller. Agree with others on a solid or solid look rug and glass coffee table. Remove the candle holders and add some art and colorful pillows that pick up a color in the art.

    sanderellers thanked Kate
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Your room is nice and put together but it looks dead...I like shoemakers mock up with the lighter colored panels etc. How about a pop of green??

    sanderellers thanked always1stepbehind
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Hi Sanderellers,

    You need a visual point of focus for the eye to be directed to. Your living space right now is very classic and chic, but need a visual accent.

    All elements will be enhance with this strategy!

    May you have any questions on how to execute this, do not hesitate to contact me.

    Best regards,

    Ariane Boisclair
    AB Interior Design & Staging
    514-571-0435

    sanderellers thanked ABtelier Design
  • 6 years ago

    I think I'm going to start with mantle and artwork and would like to add blue as an accent. The rest of the room will be easier to fall into place. I'd like to paint the existing mirror white to better match, I like the size and style. Eventually I will get console cabinets for either side of the fireplace. What do you think? I'm ready to check out on most of these items!! I feel like I'm heading in the right direction. (My posts keep disappearing, so going to split up pictures separately).

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    This option is using framed b&w prints from travels instead of art.


  • 6 years ago

    Loveseat I'm considering:


  • 6 years ago

    I like where you are heading.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    From the 3 options, it is definitely the one with the blue abstract art accent that catch the eyes and define the point of focus, which is the fire place wall.

    If you want, you can also add wall art murale on each side if your fire place.

    I create custom wall mural for client and do phone consultation for them.

    Here is an example of wall murale creation from a real client peony picture.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @sanderellers you can follow my page as I will be posting more murale and artwork creation!
    I am based on Montreal Quebec, if ever you want to add a chic european touch on your walls that would bring to your living space a unique look and differentiate from your entourage!

    Best regards,
    Ariane Boisclair