Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thefof

Which Hydrangea?

thefof Zone 8/9 UK
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Growing in woods, in the grounds of an old family estate. The grounds were planted and landscaped of many generations. This could be a heritage species, but just as easily, not.

TIA

Fof

Edited to say location, North Cornwall

Comments (14)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Likely Blue Wave. And the colour shows the acidic soil there.

thefof Zone 8/9 UK thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

There are an awful lot of blue lacecap hydrangeas out there...... and most look pretty darn similar. Could just as easily be Blue Billows or Blaumeise. Or Bluebird.

thefof Zone 8/9 UK thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

But it’s most likely to be the one I named based on how long it’s been around (over 100 years) and how ubiquitous it is in the old gardens of Cornwall. They’re everywhere.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

'Blue Wave' is a synonym of 'Mariesii Perfecta'.

thefof Zone 8/9 UK thanked Embothrium
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

I was too lazy to give both names. Typing at midnight over here.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Mariesii Perfecta/Blue Wave has been around for a long time and I will defer to any locals that this is what it is. It just seems strange (to me, anyway) that all blue lacecaps in the area are necessarily the same plant when there are multiple options that look virtually identical.

• thefof Zone 8/9 UK
    Original Author
    3 years ago

gardengal, hi

I didn't realise there were so many lacecaps, all of which would be blue. Acidic soil.

Knowing that the last time any major redesign of the estate, appears to have been in the 1860s, I was quite expecting this to have been a heritage spp. It was the done thing, at the time, to incorporate as may of the newly discovered/imported plants as possible. I know nothing of the history of Hydrangeas and their cultivars, but this, I would suspect, is a descendent of one planted during the 19th century

The estate was in the hands of the same family from mid-12th century until 1916.

Fof

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

the second and third pix are brilliant ...

do you use a real camera .. to accomplish that in full sun???

ken

thefof Zone 8/9 UK thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • thefof Zone 8/9 UK
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yep. Don't have and certainly don't want one of these all dancing, all singing, "I'll do anything and everything for you"- type smart phones.

As an aside, but does anyone else see the Submit button, as Indsend. I seem to have the Danish button.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Out of curiosity, I rumbled though my favorite hydrangea monograph and counted up the blue in acidic soils lacecaps :-) 25 listed under H. macrophylla and 18 under H. serrata.

Now not all of these are readily found in commerce (more in private collections) and some will have colored or variegated foliage as well. And this is not a real recent publication so many new intros are missing. But still a heck of a lot of blue flowered lacecaps!!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Apparently Blue Wave was introduced in 1904.

If growing semi wild in the woods, rather than in the gardens near the house, I think it’s even less likely to be a newer variety. Hydrangeas are virtually naturalised in parts of Cornwall. Which garden was it thefof?

Houzz must think you’re in Denmark. The country button bottom left must have got bashed.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

'Mariesii Perfecta' is a 'Mariesii' seedling raised by Lemoine ca. 1900. 'Mariesii' itself was introduced by Charles Maries from Japan in 1879. It produces a broad, flat head with jumbo ray florets.

If the plant asked about here is in fact a spontaneous seedling then technically it isn't any named cultivar maintained through cloning.

• hyed
    3 years ago

Edit|Delete

hyed(Boston Ma 6A)

Digger, have a 30yr old Blue Billow , never Winter protection...have never prune it kind of prunes