Software
Houzz Logo Print
mandarinaoptimista

How should I shape my Ficus benghalensis (Audrey)?



Finally took my first jump getting a medium-large ficus! I got a Ficus benghalensis (aka Audrey). It's about 4 feet tall from topsoil, trying to figure out how to prune it to give it more of a (non-lollipop) open tree structure. Most pictures from the US shape it like a lollipop, but I've found and fallen in love with Japanese-style open tree structure where I can actually appreciate the trunk and branches like this one from https://www.tree-tree.jp/?pid=48546042





The best advice I've found for specifically Ficus benghalensis (aside from Houzz forum's user Tapla) is the following from Smart Garden Guide, looking for more advice like this but maybe a bit more in-depth and hopefully with illustrations or videos (closest thing I've found is bonsai masters pruning away). This is the advice from the link:

  • Cut the top off a tree once it reaches your preferred height. For appearance’s sake, the plant will probably benefit from some preparatory trimming … so get started!
  • To encourage branching, cut the chosen branch back. Keep one to three leaves: new buds will form at the base of the remaining foliage.
  • To keep the structure open, prune so that emerging branches grow outwards.
  • Trim crisscrossing branches and those that grow downwards or into the center.
  • Correct crooked branches by cutting them back to a section growing toward an imaginary center line.
  • To create a harmonious picture, trim branches so they grow closer together as they reach the top, as happens in nature.

Been nonstop reading articles and watching videos about bonsai, niwaki, arboriculture, etc. If you have any advice or know of any sources of info that could be helpful, I'd be very happy to hear any recomendations 🤗


I just pruned a few downward facing branches and leaves from near the trunk to be able to see better, here is the result:



Comments (7)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Had to laugh at the "medium large." Whatever you do, don't plant it in the ground. It's the tree with the largest canopy in the world. This first pic is just one tree. Aerial roots hit the ground, grow into another trunk whose aerial roots hit the ground, and so on...





    Mandarina Optimista thanked shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I appreciate the kind words, Mandarina.

    The lazy-S trunk is easily attainable, but you'll need to be bold to attain it when the starting point is a standard (tree with a relatively long/straight trunk. What I mean by bold is, you'd need to cut it back so hard it forces back-budding low on the trunk. From there, you guide the top into the shape you like. The tree can take it, but are you willing to go that far?

    Alternately, you might wish to start a cutting and guide that cutting into the shape you desire over time - or air-layer a branch, which is just about foolproof.

    Al

    Mandarina Optimista thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • 6 years ago

    @tropicofcancer, that tree about made me faint! It is just that beautiful!

  • 6 years ago

    @shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b) haha I meant to say medium-large for a houseplant, not for a Banyan tree!


    @tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a) thank you so much for your response! I actually posted that second photo just as an example of an "open non-lollipop structure", because most people I've consulted just try to guide me in to the usual lollipop. I have to say I do love the lazy-S shape (thanks for the reference name!), so I will try that with a the cuttings that I have. Would you have any advice to shape my current trunk into a harmonious and taller tree? I don't need it to be straight, but I'd like for it to look like a tree (not a bush) and just have an interesting trunk on display.


    @tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA) Sorry to hear about the Great Bayan Tree :(. Thank you for the advice! I guess @tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a) and you would agree that to make great art be bold or get out hahaha, I am not yet at that level, but will take it into account if someday I muster the courage (I might!). If I do... do I leave that 6-7 inch trunk in the same big pot? How long should it take to grow lower branches?


    For propagating, should the cuttings be from the green trunks or brown trunks? Can it be done with just the leaves? Would you recommend water or soil? How long should it take? I've seen a lot of contradicting advice on the internet.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @tropicofcancer...very sorry to hear about the damage to that Banyan. I've walked around it many times (10 minutes to walk around one tree!) Sad. But give it another 250 years...

  • 6 years ago

    Mandarina: The best time for a hard chop will be late June or so when the plant is at its peak health and has a good long season left to grow back substantially. It helps immensely that the soil is good well draining like 511 or gritty - either will work nicely. It also helps a lot if the plant is outdoors in full Sun. No problems with leaving the stump it in the same pot. New branches will show up in a week or two. It is possible that many new buds will pop up. You have to selectively prune out the buds leaving few that point towards desired directions. After a branch has grown a bit prune/pinch the third or 4th leaf so that a new branch will grow out of the axil again in the desired direction.

    Ficus B will root from any cutting almost. The ones that have browned a bit root easier. Leaf cuttings will not work. No hormones needed. Just be aware that some people are allergic to latex Ficus produces when you cut. I keep a spray bottle with water to wash away the latex. The latex can be irritating and in some cases reaction are known to be more severe - especially in full Sunlight. Apparently the skin can become very sensitive to light. Wash your tools as soon as possible. Dry latex, although harmless, on tools is harder to remove and it sticks to everything. But if you wash it water when fresh it goes away quickly without leaving a mess.

    Mandarina Optimista thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
0
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert