Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph_anie73

window location help

Steph Anie
3 years ago

We are building a home and notice that the kitchen window over sink was set too high and I can’t look out comfortably. The windows are all lined up from the ceiling in this open concept space. Our options are to lower this window or to pay $1000 to get a taller window. Right now it is 51 inches from the ground. Will it look bad to lower it or should I pay the upgrade. I’m a little upset because we already upgraded this window to get a wider one but now they say we have to rebuy and whole new window. I assumed that I’d be able to see out my window when we signed off on the house.
Thanks

Comments (19)

• doc5md
    3 years ago

What do the plans show for window elevations?

• Steph Anie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have 8ft doors so I should have known the windows would be a foot below the ceiling and then did the math but I assumed I’d be able to see out a window that is over the sink.

Should I lower it or will it look bad?

• Steph Anie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Back view.

• bichonbabe
    3 years ago

How much leeway do you have to lower it before it hits the counter?

• millworkman
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would just lower it were it me as long as it does not interfere with the counter-top.

• doc5md
    3 years ago

Now seeing the pictures, I think lowering it would be fine. It won't be noticed.

• PRO
    BobH
    3 years ago

Lower it so the sill is right at countertop height.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I like a window a bit above the counter above a sink for sure and 51” unless you are really short should allow you to see out. This is what happens when people get anal about certain things in this case all the tops of the windows lining up. If it makes you carzy then pay to fix it now because it will always make you crazy

• Steph Anie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m just not sure if there’s a rule that windows should all be the same distance from the ceiling in an open concept space. I don’t want it to make my cabinets look short. I’m not doing uppers in that wall and the cabs on the other walls will go to ceiling.

• Steph Anie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Counter is 37 inches and I am 5 foot 2 inches

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Be careful lowering it to countertop height because you may need electric outlets there. Check how far apart code requires them to be.

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

I'd change the window, and switch to one with a wider center part like the window to the left in your interior image above.

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

Lower it and mount a shade/curtain higher. But don’t lower it all the way to the counter. That would be asking for trouble regarding matching counter height and designing sill & backsplash, not to mention the outlets that someone mentioned.

• lkbum_gw
    3 years ago

check to see if they can add a transom to your existing window. Remove the window, add the transom and reframe the bottom to the new height.

• rmsaustin
    3 years ago

What PPF said.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

What is so "comfortable" about looking out the window as it is? How high off the finished floor will the bottom of the glass be?

• Seabornman
    3 years ago

I'd get new windows and sell the old on Craigslist. Why can I see daylight around your window frames? Why don't I see anything but Tyvek on the walls- no flashing, no water protection? I don't see how they can finish properly.

• Steph Anie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I decided to purchase a new window that is 9 inches taller that way the top will line up with the other windows and I can still see out of it. Thanks for your help. Sucks I had to buy another window. Hopefully I can sell it. This was the height and as you can see, way too high for me.

• lkbum_gw
    3 years ago

if it's not too late, call the window supplier and ask if they can field mull a 9" transom on top.!