Software
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I like the one you design with your architect to meet your needs and fit your site. Hope you become un-stock soon.

  • 6 years ago

    I think you'd need to share quite a lot more about what you're planning - where you're building, what kind of lot, what sort of restrictive covenants, etc.


    Honestly, I don't care for either. I'm not a fan of bedrooms over garages, nor of two-story entryways.


    Both of them tend to say, "HERE IS MY GARAGE, to which I have incidentally attached a house." What they do not say is "Craftsman."


    And both of them tend to commit multiple design "sins" in the apparent name of "adding interest." (nested gables, indiscriminate use of stone, etc.) Neither has a pleasing symmetry to the facade that gives the eye a place to land. In addition, they both seem to be rather compressed, square plans that force the roof upward into an expensive, "high hat" structure.

  • 6 years ago

    Being a mere homeowner who has had one house built and is currently building another with DH alone, and assuming there is a reason you must go with one of these plans for whatever reason, I prefer the 2381 sq ft first one, the roof line is simpler, there aren't as many gables, still too many, but at least it's not gables and a hip roof. I had a 2 story foyer in my first house, ended up hating it, dusting was a pain, and really what's the point of one in such a small house. I also don't understand why it has to have angled walls for the study and the hall closet other than to try to make the 2 story foyer worthy of it's 2 stories?


    Any particular reason you're looking at these 2 floor plans in particular?

  • 6 years ago

    In the first one, where will you eat? At the counter in the kitchen? Am I missing a place to put a table?

  • 6 years ago

    My DH only sits at the table for Christmas dinner. I have heard that a lot of people don't bother with dining rooms anymore, but technically a Great Room can have a table, I have a house with a Great Room and indeed, my table fits fine. (even if it just collects clutter)

  • 6 years ago

    A great room, yes, there's room for a table - but on the plan OP posted, there's really not room even for a small breakfast table. We recently looked at a house that had this same setup and it was incredibly awkward and felt tiny.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I like 2452 better. For 71 more sqft you get a dining room, an extra bed, and 3rd full bath.

    The other plan has a lot of wasted space with the large entry and extra front hall. Trying to fit a dining table in the greatroom, while possible, would be a challenge. My current greatroom is that size and fits a standard couch, two club chairs, and side tables with good circulation. If I had to fit dining in here, I'd have to buy smaller everything to squish it in.

    I also dislike two story greatrooms. They're difficult to decorate, maintain conversations (lots of echos), and the noise travels upstairs. I do like the third garage bay and upstairs laundry, but I think the extra bed and bath, for such little extra sqft, adds more value. If those items are important to you, it looks like you could alter the 2381 plan to get them. (Stretch out storage area wall even with kitchen and sacrifice a little bit of the master closet by shifting that bath forward and creating a small laundry.)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    First thing I noticed was all the wasted space in 2381. A lot of hallways and entries which are useless except for milling-around-in. Do you do a lot of entertaining?

    I also dislike 2-story rooms. They seem ostentatious, built to impress but not useable for much.

  • 6 years ago

    I think the floorplan of the larger one is better.

  • 6 years ago

    Like Buzz, just another person building a home with an opinion :) I'd tinker with the larger sqft, as it looks like the kitchen/pantry/entry/laundry area could use some work to make it more efficient. I've never been a fan of walking around a dining room table to get from the kitchen to the sofa. I find the exterior stone facade on the right side going up really high to that window only on the front and not around the side very weird looking since I can see the side also. It looks like a stone wallpaper just on the front.


    I am a fan of 2-story views, and if the landing space above is usable. In ours, I have a reading nook planned and am excited about getting the light in from the front to carry over to the back. These landings don't appear functional (bridge only?) and don't carry light anywhere (walls?). How do you water plants on that 'shelf' ? If you've got some skin in this, you might consider posting your favorite plan to the kitchen forum and let the pros have a go at rearranging it for efficiency. They're brutal sometimes but are sincere in getting it to work efficiently.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Neither without big changes which will all cost money. Get an architect since a home is planned for thr lot for your life and I have never found as tock plan yet that works without changes. I also hate gables just the for the look. IMO views from the 2nd floor to the living space is a waste of space and creates all kinds of issue with sound control

  • 6 years ago

    Between the two -the larger one 2452 sq feet

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments. I like the larger one too but I think I will extend the bedrooms and rearrange the kitchen area.


    I feel like a 11 by 12 bedroom is small? Any comments regarding the size of the bedrooms?

  • 6 years ago

    I prefer the first one, but would remove the tandem garage and put the kitchen there. Then current kitchen becomes dining room.

    Agree with other posters above to seek help from an architect or design professional to assist with your project. It is worth it.

  • 6 years ago

    I think 11x12 bedrooms is fine, but you could make the two back bedrooms bigger by changing the closets to reach-ins. Reach-ins are great for kids.

    The front bedroom, well, I’m not a fan of the nested or extra gables either, so if you change that closet to a reach-in, you could move the front wall back even with the plane of the front of the house. Or, change the jack-and-jill bath to a hall-entry bath for all three bedrooms, remove the front bedroom’s closet it, and change the front bedroom’s bath to a closet.