Software
Houzz Logo Print
quirkymimaw

Bedding and Rug

6 years ago

I recently purchased this rug for my bedroom. Can I get suggestions on what color(s), pattern, style of bedding to compliment? I can’t use white due to Dog’s.

Comments (36)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Use another color from the rug and IMO pretty plain but with maybe some texture like quilting.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    What a gorgeous rug! Not knowing what your style is or what the furnishings are like, I'm envisioning something like a happy yellow Buffalo check with other touches of blue. (Might not be best for your dog hair issue though. I have the same issue, but with cats.)



  • 6 years ago

    I'd go neutral with the comforter - a nice fluffy down comforter in a tan color. Find some throw pillows and/or a throw in the non-blue colors of the area rug.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    More Inspiration:


    Gold Stripe Queen Goose Down Comforter 8-Piece Bed In A Bag · More Info


    Blue and Gold Diamond Pattern Quadrille Decorative Lumbar Pillow Cover · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    I assumed that you had a King bed, just because there are usually fewer options with King size, and I didn't want to share ideas for a Queen in case you liked something that wasn't available in a King. :-D

    I also immediately envisioned using yellow (or goldenrod), like Miss Ida. <3 I would personally add textured, solid blue Euro & accent pillows to any yellow set.

    Macy's:

    American Home Fashion Estate Marseille "Straw Yellow"


    Overstock:

    Pasadena Medallion 3-pc Quilt Set


    Bed, Bath, & Beyond:

    Wamsutta Hand Stitched Velvet Collection


    I actually have the plum version of the first one (AHF Marseille), that I use as my Spring/Summer bed, then the quilt is folded and laid across the foot of the bed during the Fall/Winter, when I switch to a pinch pleat fluffy duvet for colder weather. Quality is pretty good, and customer service was great (I had an issue ordering through JCPenney, and AHF was very accommodating). :-)

    What do you think, Miss Clarissa? Yes, no? Need more ideas? <3

  • 6 years ago

    Gorgeous rug with a lot of colourful inspiration. Is it white that I see in the rug or pale blue? What style (and colour) is your furniture?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Love the rug. Really nice choice.

    You can go any number of ways with color for bedding, as you see. It really depends on your preference. Gold. A light blue as @tartanmeup mentions. I would probably not do the darker blue for main bedding.

    The greens in your rug are subtle, but prominent. I think I might pick up on that color for bedding.





    https://www.target.com/p/ed-by-ellen-degeneres-belmont-twin-duvet-cover-set-jade/-/A-78805354?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Bedding%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Bedding_NonBrand&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9004177&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1247068&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1v-Q89-b6wIVtvzjBx0hOQGHEAkYCSABEgKlN_D_BwE

  • 6 years ago

    @tartanmeup the light color in the rug is actually a pale bluish grey. The furniture in the room is a medium maple color and the furniture is pretty traditional. I’ll be replacing it later with more eclectic pieces.

  • 6 years ago

    @IdaClaire love these happy buffalo checks! I like the idea of mixing patterns.

  • 6 years ago

    @One Devoted Dame, I love the yellow set from Overstock. The bed is a queen size and pretty traditional. I’ll be replacing the traditional furniture with more eclectic pieces. I would love to find something in yellow/golden with some blue mixed in. Maybe trim? Want to find the perfect set! 😁😁

  • 6 years ago

    I would love to find something in yellow/golden with some blue mixed in.

    So, to clarify, are you looking for a single element (pillow sham, quilt, etc.) to incorporate *both* yellow and blue (yellow quilt with blue embroidery, for example), as opposed to mixing and matching solid yellow elements (pillows, quilt) with solid blue elements (pillows)?

  • 6 years ago

    @One Devoted Dame I would really love a single element incorporating both yellow and blue but not so busy that they compete.

  • 6 years ago

    I like this for the colors, the pattern is too busy with the rug.

  • 6 years ago

    I would really love a single element incorporating both yellow and blue but not so busy that they compete.

    Gotcha! I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were looking for; it'll help me look. :-D

    (I'm such a bedding/pillow obsessed nut, lol. I love fabric!!!)

    Off I go....

  • 6 years ago

    Is maple's finish on the peachy side at all?

  • 6 years ago

    Other neutrals too. Poly with good reviews:

    ruffle skirt-bp-gray-3pc-k · More Info


  • 6 years ago


    Bosque Residence · More Info


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Clarissa, I also like the blue and yellow bedding you found. Wish I could do a mock up with your rug for you. Stripes or checks might be an easier pattern to mix with your floral rug though. How much rug is seen in the room? Did you have an idea for the wall colour?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Okay. So it's kinda tough to find yellow bedding that doesn't have a ton of gray in it, lol.

    I also thought of stripes, like Tartan mentioned, but couldn't find anything that also didn't have a ton of white in it. :-/

    I know this isn't as brightly colored as the bedding you found, but what do you think? I tried to stay subtle, since the rug makes such a statement by itself, and I think the lighter tones of the yellow and blue might work with the lighter yellow and blue in the rug.

    Hayneedle:



    Pacific Coast Textiles "Dresden" Set

    My best attempt at a mockup (in Paint), lol....





    (Edited to add accent wall color and a shot of the reversible side of the same bedding set.)

  • 6 years ago

    @everdebz the furniture doesn’t have a peachy tone, more of warm, dark honey or maple syrup color. I like the blue bedding you’ve shown. The walls are the color of the tan/beige in the rug with one accent wall in a shade darker than the blue in the rug. Lamps are neutral, with white shades.

  • 6 years ago

    @tartanmeup you will see about 1/2 of the rug. The walls are the color of the beige/tan in the rug and an accent wall done in a shade darker than the blue in the rug.

  • 6 years ago

    @Clarissa : do you have a link to the rug if it's available online? It's beautiful.

  • 6 years ago

    @One Devoted Dame I love bedding and fabric too!! I try to keep a couple of sets I like and change them out through the year. I’m a bit of a risk taker and like things on the eclectic side. I love the blue in the bedding you’ve shown. I like the look of the blue throw and accent pillow. I’d like to have the main bed cover a bit more yellow. What do you think of a yellow stripe?? This is as hard as picking a new purse!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • 6 years ago

    I like pattern and would be drawn to patterned bedding similar to what you shared. I found this Pottery Barn one and did a screen capture with your rug pic. On my screen, this works but perhaps the idea of keeping the pattern to pillows or throws is the easier one. Sometimes, the only way to see if it really works in the space is to try it out. (I have bought and returned a lot of bedding in my life. :P) I don't know your budget but if you go this route, you might have an easier time finding fabric for "custom" pillows.



  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I’d like to have the main bed cover a bit more yellow.

    So, more "yellow" less "gold"?

    What do you think of a yellow stripe??

    I really like the idea of a yellow stripe, but dang, I couldn't find a yellow stripe with blue (I was swimming in gray, though, which I would be hesitant to pair with the rug, and of course I found white with yellow). I'll keep looking....

    This is as hard as picking a new purse!!

    I have to go to Etsy for purses, because I'm so darn picky. lol

  • 6 years ago

    @tartanmeup I like pattern as well. Interesting fabrics, textures and colors always draws me in. The Pottery Barn set is gorgeous! I think you may be right, I may have to buy a few and try them out. The remodel will be finished in about a month so I have time. If I find the right bedding, I can always look for fabric and make my own custom pillows.

  • 6 years ago

    Here is what I’ve found so far.

  • 6 years ago

    Patterned bedding seems nice, but if there are more patterns, probably small-sized - lamp shade, or curtain detail. Is that your look? which is fine.

  • 6 years ago

    Here is what I’ve found so far.

    My two favorites are the top left stripe, and the buffalo check. :-D

    Third would be the other yellow one, below the yellow stripe. (And if I recall, because I've seen that one in several places, that particular set *also* comes in a dark blue colorway, so if you buy both, you could easily combine the two.)

  • PRO
    6 years ago




  • 6 years ago

    @everdebz Patterns will only be rug and bedding, lamp shades are neutral and I don’t care much for curtains. I’ll use a textured shade or shutters.

  • 6 years ago

    @One Devoted Dame the yellows are my favorites as well! I’ve eliminated all the other patterns except the white with blue on top right. With yellow and blue pillows and a nice chunky yellow throw it might work too.

  • 6 years ago

    I might have to buy two of the yellow’s and the white with blue and try them. 😳😳