Software
Houzz Logo Print
carolynwray

Nice kitchen, but missing something

6 years ago

We bought this new house four years ago and are finally getting around to decorating. The kitchen is very nice but I feel something missing. Maybe it’s too rustic for my taste, but I can’t see ripping it out and starting over. Here’s my thoughts....Too much wood, don’t like the glaze on the cabinets. Should I replace the light fixtures? Should I paint the island and if so what color. Rug suggestions appreciated. Trim is SW moderate white.

Comments (43)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Definitely replace light fixtures, I think your kitchen is very beautiful, but I do see what you’re saying about the glazing. Maybe replace the floor with a lighter color stone/tile? Your kitchen table doesn’t help the ‘wooden’ overload either..maybe a tablecloth? Scratch that, I just realized your floor the same throughout...I’d just paint all the cabinets tbh...

  • 6 years ago

    I think you have a lovely kitchen, but understand you would like to make some tweeks. agree changing the pendants will help and maybe painting the hood and island the color of the walls, looks like a soft mint color, that would lighten the room and make it less heavy feeling to me. I might also change the stools for something more simple. here's some ideas for pendants

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I think your kitchen is beautiful, but I would do something to tone down the range hood. Its size and color are overpowering.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago


    I think it's beautiful but what you might want to go for is more contrast--a bit of modern against the "rustic" in furnishings, rug, lighting, and shapes, light against dark.

    --Replace your curvey traditional lighting with something modern and more angular. For over dining table, a rectangular pendant. Get clear glass pendants with straight hanging rods for over the counter. Match up finishes--dark bronze--even if styles are different.



    Light colored chairs against your dark table. You could do slipcovers over current chairs.

    Sandy House- Dining · More Info


    Get modern ivory counter stools:

    Riverwoods Retreat · More Info


    Get a high contrast patterned rug in dining area in same palette as your countertops--cream, brown, etc.


    Lavish Home Opus Artfully Abstract Area Rug, Gray, 8'x10' · More Info


    Replace clock with modern art work:



  • 6 years ago

    a couple ideas for stools.

  • 6 years ago

    I also like the idea of slipcovered parsons chairs, maybe in a fun color to coordinate with the mint walls.

  • 6 years ago

    Theresa I wanted to mention the stool as well...too much wood, easier/cheaper to change up the stools etc to lessen it

  • 6 years ago

    I think it’s the LED lighting making the walls look mint green in the photos. They are beige, with a light glaze. I was thing about painting them a bit lighter. The floors are nail down red oak with fruit woof stain throughout the house. Would blue accents go or should I stick with neutrals?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Kitchen is great; light fixtures are dated. You can go bigger on the pendant size and get a large fixture for over the breakfast table.


    How about this for over the table:



    6-Light Transitional Large Wood Pendant · More Info

    And maybe these for the island:




    1 Light Mini Pendant In Matte Black (22-MB-421) · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    I agree with comments on updating lighting. Consider bar stools and dining room chairs that are fabric to break up the wood feel. I also wonder about the range hood...feels very heavy looking to me.

  • 6 years ago

    With all that said...love the floors, wood beams and cabinets

  • 6 years ago

    trim out the windows, they appear unfinished.. add large scale art to the dining area, update the lighting to something thin, elegant and sweeping to fill space, but not out do the range hood, beams and rustic flooring. I see a modern French country...

  • 6 years ago

    maybe consider one light instead of three?

  • 6 years ago

    Definitely need new lighting, I’d do two large lanterns over island and something different over table. I’d also replace your kitchen chairs. Otherwise you have a beautiful kitchen! Enjoy

  • 6 years ago

    I think that adding some colors with pretty draperies in your eating area will add some life to your beautiful kitchen, too. It feels “unfinished” because it lacks the softness of fabric and color.

  • 6 years ago

    You have a lovely kitchen and I like the mix of textures in the hood, beam and cabinets. As you are looking for new light fixtures, don’t forget to change out the one over your sink. Shop on Houzz and use the “see it in your room” feature to decide on the shape and style you like most.
    Also, if you can recover the seats on the breakfast room chairs — and it looks like you can—that would lighten up that area. Get a table runner that coordinates with the chair fabric to give more contrast on the table. If you purchase new bar stools, they will likely have a solid fabric so you can start with that in choosing a color/fabric for the chairs.
    Do post your progress. We all enjoy seeing the results.

  • 6 years ago

    I like your kitchen a lot. I DOES look like a “rustic” person suddenly took over a lovely transitional kitchen. If you tone down the range hood, change the fixtures and add fabric covered bar stools, that would fix the mis-matched elements. Your eating area could be much lighter as well with a table cloth or changing the chairs as suggested above. I was wondering if others thought she could bring in a soft color (like a blue or green) by painting the hood and adding that color through fabrics? Depending on what you do to the hood, you could easily change the eating area rug to complement it. Several of us are pretty good at rug-hunting. But I love the overall look of your kitchen.

  • 6 years ago

    I agree with many of the comments, I think the light fixtures aren’t doing you any favors. Replacing those, the bar stools, and the kitchen chairs would go a long way to freshening the look and making it lighter. (I also agree with changing out the clock by the table for some interesting art.) Personally, I like the range hood because of the contrast. I would first make those other changes before painting the hood. After lights, etc are changed you may find the hood less dominating. Really pretty, functional kitchen!

  • 6 years ago

    One last thought. What is behind the cabinet doors on the hood? It's probably a duct for the exhaust, but if not remove the doors and put interesting pieces there--copper, stoneware. Or cookbooks you don't use that often.

  • 6 years ago

    Dining area and countertop lighting pairing with same bronze finish:

    There's a photograph of the pendants over a counter if you click on the link so you can see the size.

  • 6 years ago

    Went to the lighting store today and here’s what I purchased. Top picture goes over the breakfast table. The lantern style lights go over the island. Sales person thought I could use three. I’ll have to see if that works or maybe just install two. The bottom fixture for over the kitchen sink. Am I on the right track? I can return them as long as I don’t install.

  • 6 years ago

    One more question.... I omitted the view of the “desk” area in the kitchen yesterday so here it is. It’s such a junk collector area and never used as a desk. Should I put a stool or chair there? Would a wine fridge look out of place below the desk?

  • 6 years ago

    I think three of the lanterns over the island will look great. to me your current ones look a little small so these larger ones will have better proportions for the island. I like all the fixtures you chose. for the desk area, i would add a slipcoveres parsons chair, to me a wine fridge will look odd, but others may think differently.

  • 6 years ago

    follow


  • 6 years ago

    I like your new fixtures. New chairs for dining table. A bigger and costlier change would be the backsplash, but I'd have that on my list. I think you have a nice kitchen.

  • 6 years ago

    I think your kitchen is quite nice; the floors are gorgeous. The only thing that really jumps out at me is the range hood and it just doesn't seem to go with the rest of the elements. I'd try painting it, either the color of the cabinets, or, if you're not crazy about the island color, paint both of them a contrasting color - like a french blue maybe?

    Not this blue but just showing the two elements matching in a white kitchen:


    I was thinking more this color blue:

    Or a blue island with the hood to match the cabinets:


  • 6 years ago

    f

  • 6 years ago

    Yes to the lighting choices! Yes to the wine cooler there or dining room.

  • 6 years ago

    Something to consider...in the Wayfair app you could likely choose a similar looking light fixture and then look at it virtually in your space...I have used it a lot and found it very helpful. With that said the ones you bought are on the right track definitely!
    Regarding stools, I would recommend you go with one that has a half Back and is fabric versus a stool with a fabric bottom...will help with balance...

  • 5 years ago

    Progress photos. I’m almost finished with the kitchen and couldn’t be happier how it turned out. Most of the comments I received really helped with my decision making. I still need to accessorize the table and possibly do something with wall where the clock is.

  • 5 years ago

    such a great update and transformation!!! love it all, so much lighter feeling all around

  • 5 years ago

    Looks great! The fabric chairs and stools made such a difference, as did painting the hood. Beautiful!

  • 5 years ago

    Wow, I’m impressed! I would get rid of that fake plant in corner above cabinets and replace clock with art.

  • 5 years ago

    Nice

  • 5 years ago

    Jeanne Cardwell. Agree! I completely forgot the fake plant was above the cabinet until i saw it in the photo. It’ll be in the trash tonight!

  • 5 years ago

    Just want to thank everyone for all the constructive comments. It helped confirm some of the issues I had going on with the kitchen decor.
    Any ideas on what to put on the breakfast table? Typically we just eat at the island so I don’t need to worry about moving it a every meal.

  • 5 years ago

    Wonderful changes! The range hood before seemed like too much wood. Love it!

  • 5 years ago

    as for table top, I would add some greenery, possibly try the vase and greenery you have on the console table. that might just do it, if too tall, maybe put a grouping of 3 vases and add the greenery to one of the shorter ones...

  • 5 years ago

    It’s all looking great! Did you ever investigate whether a wine fridge could fit into the “desk” area?

  • 5 years ago

    Wow - everything looks so much better, you did a great job!!

  • 5 years ago

    As for the wine fridge, it won’t work under the desk. The counter is too low. I ordered a chair for that area but in the meantime I’m using it as a coffee bar.