Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_703492445

I don’t like my new backsplash ..I need your opinion :(

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I recently saw my backsplash paired with my granite top in my kitchen and my heart pretty much sank....

It wasn’t until AFTER I selected it during my design process that I realized I was pairing straight up white (with bits of marble gray) with a more cream colored granite top....so I was nervous to see it put together and now that I did it’s what I expected and I don’t really like it..I feel like the off white paired with white looks so tacky :(

..I didn’t change it because my fiancé really loved it and I didn’t want to pay 500 bucks during the process, yeah I know I should have gone with my gut earlier but I didn’t.

Because we’re close to moving in and I don’t want to pay extra to have it taken down and have delays, I think I’m going to leave it for now...I just want confirmation that it doesn’t look horrible to show to people when they visit for maybe like the next year until we can possibly change it? I’ve heard that with the appliances, pendant lights put in and decorations and Stools it‘ll probably look better, but I can’t help to lose sleep over it right now :( any thoughts, comments, suggestions, past related experiences?? All is appreciated!!

Sincerely,

26 year old first time home buyer who clearly is learning a lot lol.






Comments (24)

  • 6 years ago

    The difference in color doesn't bother me, personally. In fact I think it is interesting and I like it. The two patterns together are bit busy for my taste however. Maybe if you live with it awhile you will discover stronger feelings for or against it. Unless you are sure now, then you might want to change it sooner rather than later. We need to do a similar job in our very outdated kitchen and I also have a lot to learn!

  • 6 years ago

    What you did here is what many have done before you. If I choose a tile with all of the colors in the granite, is will go, right?

    Your instinct is right in that they don’t go together.

    They are both competing for your attention.

    We say here, one star in the kitchen.


    What also happens is that you might bring home just a few tiles, and those aren’t a true representation of what a whole wall would look like.


    Many of us here have had to redo our backsplashes. I did. It doesn’t help that your fiancé was excited by it. Your granite and the tiles are nice! Just not together. Doing a renovation is so hard on a couple.


    The better choice would have been a solid cream or gray color tile that picks up the lightest tone in the granite.


    My hope for you is that many here will agree that the backsplash isn’t right and needs to be redone. You can show your fiancé this thread. Many have been swayed by us here!


    Good luck.



  • 6 years ago

    Thank you both so much.

    I think I am leaning more towards changing it but I guess I just wanted to see if people thought it still looked okay for now until I can change it...simply because I am afraid to find a replacement until I can see the whole picture and kitchen...I’m afraid of choosing another style that I will still not like and then having the house delayed AND pay extra?

    So I’m thinking of waiting to change it in the future but wanted to check If it wasn’t too horrible to leave for now...hope that makes sense

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Audrey
    Your instinct is correct. They are fighting with each other. It doesn’t matter, they are nice. Glad you chose neutral. I would accessorize with dark pieces. It will take away from the backsplash. Once things are in , you may not notice it.
    If you still hate it you can add peel and stick on top temporarily to fix it.

  • 6 years ago

    I don’t like it either. The gray vs cream jumps out at me immediately. Sorry.

  • 6 years ago

    Audrey, good idea. Then, come back here and we can all help you!

  • 6 years ago

    "I think I’m going to leave it for now...I just want confirmation that it doesn’t look horrible to show to people when they visit for maybe like the next year until we can possibly change it?"


    "to see if people thought it still looked okay for now until I can change it"


    If you can't afford to change it now, don't. A new house comes with a lot of expenses and some are unexpected (an emergency fund is essential). Don't feel your kitchen needs to be perfect before people can see it. Your house isn't there to please other people. This is real life, not Houzz or HGTV come to life. :) Yes, you want your house to look fabulous and be proud of all your choices but if something doesn't look exactly so, will friends and family be offended? Also, most people have "stuff" on their kitchen counters and the backsplash is barely noticeable.


    For the next backsplash, consider posting here for advice or hiring a designer (which can be an upfront cost that ends up saving money). My advice is to go with a plain tile since the counter is highly patterned. Depending on your motivation and skill level, DIY backsplash installation could be a money-saving option. Lots of YT videos from skilled people. Hth.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Horrible no .A poor choice yes and IMO it will drive you crazy until you change it so wait a bit to save enough money to do it In the meantime add some bright colored counter appliances to take you eye somewhere else.

  • 6 years ago

    People notice the food, not the backsplash. Put out some amazing platters of food and invite them over!

  • 6 years ago

    At the moment, you are seeing an empty kitchen without a place for your eyes to go to except to the backsplash. Once you have a few things in your kitchen, you will be able to live with it until you can replace the backsplash. Perhaps you can accessorize to distract your eyes from the backsplash to pretty things that bring you joy: a tray with kitchen items, fruit bowl, attractive kitchen towels, and a green plant. Lean a variety of different shaped wood cutting boards on the backsplash. Try a pretty lamp on the countertop that fits under the upper cabinets. Place a decorative canister with kitchen tools beside the stove or lean a pretty framed against the backsplash. (You can hang a print on the tile with Command Strips and it won't damage the tile.) HOUZZ and Pintrest have lots of pictures of styled kitchens. If all else fails and you need an inexpensive remedy, there is a special epoxy paint that can cover tile. I had a professional painter spray paint my brown bath room wall tile. The paint smells when it goes on, so the area will need to be ventilated until the smell dissipates. The painter said he uses the Sherwin Williams epoxy paint for this purpose. I'd suggest going with the cream color in your countertop. May your new first home be filled with much happiness!

    Audrey Maravilla thanked Barbara
  • 6 years ago

    Your 3rd picture looks great. So take heart that is what most people will be seeing.

  • 6 years ago

    @Audrey Maravilla, everyone makes mistakes, try not to feel bad about it.

    Removing the backsplash is a filthy, dusty, dirty job and I would do that before you move in. You can cover the hvac ducts, tape up some plastic sheeting, and diy the demolition before you bring rugs and furniture into the space.

    You can hire someone to smooth out the drywall and paint it, then put up a sheet of stainless behind the cooking zone.

  • 6 years ago

    We had a last minute countertop change that ran our granite counters creamier than the initial selected slab. After that, I couldn't make one.more.decision on our build...as for a backsplash...I asked the fabricator to throw up the shortest granite piece they could fabricate and decided to wait. A year has passed and I still have the granite piece in place. Tile? Maybe one day, but honestly, no one cares but me.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Ghastly. This post should have a warning label before viewing that picture.

  • 6 years ago

    Joseph, WE know you are kidding ;)

  • 6 years ago

    Don’t be too hard on yourself, it’s a small blip in the light of things. I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse. It’s all a learning curve. Add some cool accessories.
    Joseph Corlett, that was unnecessary

  • 6 years ago

    IMO, if it bothers YOU, then it's enough of a reason to change it. You should care less about what others think and more about what you think. You are young...so this will come more with age. However, in the meantime, if you can afford it and have the time to change it. I would go for it now. Your home is supposed to be your peaceful place...Where you can relax and unwind. Does it have to be perfect, NO, but it should represent you and make you happy. It took me a while (years) to realize the importance of making your house a home and if you are going to cringe every time you step foot in the kitchen, then IMO that is no way to live. Even for a year. Now, that doesn't mean rush into another disaster either. In reading in between the lines (and having experienced this with other situations myself, including with our current gut renovation), it's time to really become connected with your inner instinct and fight for "her" to be heard. If it matters to you...it matters. No matter how silly or trivial it seems. Don't let others, especially your husband convince you otherwise. It's when you ignore your gut that the issue becomes magnified (more money or time to change it or you develope resentment or bitterness for not taking action). Again, from your post...it appears that it matters enough to you and is causing a great deal of anxiety. Now, let's think of various ways you can now accomplish your vision. Change the tile, change the counterop, or keep it as is. What aspects do you truly love...and start with that. Life is too short to live for others. Again this is not a race, so take the time you need. Consider visiting a tile shop with pictures, or perhaps doing a virtual consult with a designer who's style you love. You have options! Good luck! And don't be too hard on yourself.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you all for your help, tips, and suggestions!! I truly appreciate it. God Bless

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Oh Audrey,

    I'm so sorry..absolutely agree with you!

    But Congrats on your new house!!

    Your post reminded me of this, maybe some ideas to help?

    Clashing of warm and cool colors.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5430997/countertops-clash-everything-clashes#n=156

    PS when I was 26 I was too busy partying and acting foolish to even consider purchasing a house.

  • 6 years ago

    We all know what you’re going through, but please be happy and proud of your new home! It’s quite an accomplishment for you and your other half. About the backsplash: every home owner makes design mistakes. This one isn’t huge, but you’re upset about it. That’s enough to change it, but not now. New homes need a lot of stuff (and yes, an emergency fund as tartanmeup stated.) Take the next year or so to consider what else you can do. Put up poster board painted the color you’d prefer and keep focusing on the rest of your house. You can easily distract the eye by decorating the countertop (a set of 4 gorgeous canisters would be a great gift from your mom or best friend right now). I agree that your own design sense is correct - the match isn’t great. It’s far from a “DISASTER” but it’s not the best. As others have said, your decor does not make your house a home. You WILL change it, but not this week. As you design other rooms, you will get a lot of pleasure from your house and this blip will diminish. Enjoy the process,and stop beating yourself up. But yes, it would look better if it were different.

  • 6 years ago

    The backsplash is great, the marble is classic, the granite is a little busy though, it would have looked better with a granite was more solid black or grey.

  • 4 years ago

    It looks like someone photoshopped in the the wrong backsplash. Hey Audrey, we decided to change the color of our cabinets after they were half way through installing them. The contractor's face was priceless when I told him we wanted them repainted. I would consider just painting them to match the background beige tone in the countertop. You'll never regret it.

  • 4 years ago

    Audrey - how is your new home? I hope living with the backsplash is making you feel better about it.