Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b_cz10

Layering roses

Bc _zone10b
3 years ago

Hello everyone, just came across this write up on a technique to propagate a rose bush with long canes, was curious if anyone's ever tried or had success? A good number of my newly planted rose bushes this year have some long canes, and I had been wondering for a while if they would root if I pegged them down to the ground. This makes it sound like it might work if the point at the ground is wounded. Here's the write up, and then some pictures of one of my bigger growers Crown Princess Margareta that I was thinking of trying it since she's thrown out some long canes and the bed has about 4-5 ft of empty space in front of these roses.

Layering Rose Bushes

Layering is the act of bending a cane from the existing rose bush down to the ground, wounding a section of the cane and burying the wounded section under the soil surface, leaving the end of the cane exposed. The cane is U-shaped, with the bend anchored under the soil line. Wound the cane at the bend by scraping off a portion of the outer bark to expose the white cambium layer. Roots develop from the wounded section in a few weeks. Once the roots form, new growth begins from the exposed cane tip. Once the cane tip starts growing, use a sharp knife to sever the new plant from the old rose bush. For a healthier rose bush, allow the new plant to grow for one season in the same location you layered it before moving the bush to its permanent location.

Comments (11)

• seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

Yes, I think it would work just fine. Some varieties will just naturally root easier than others but there's no way to tell which until you try. Good luck and keep us posted!

Bc _zone10b thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Seil, thanks so much! I think I'll give it a shot with one long stem in early spring if any of these roses survive, that way if a new plant roots it will have time to get established.

Out of curiousity, have you ever broken a bud for a new cane at the bottom of your rose? I did it today while cleaning under one of the bushes and was worried that it might lead to problems with a cut being so close to the ground, but after reading that article on "layering" a wound to root, maybe it will be fine? Thanks for any thoughts-

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I have done this and it works fine! If you have some rooting hormone, you could help it along with that, but be sure to applya very thin layer. Let us know how it goes.

Bc _zone10b thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Vapor, great to hear, thanks! I'll have to get some more rooting hormone and give it a shot. Do you usually use the dry/dust kind or the liquid/gel kind for your roses?

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In 2011 I winterized 1st-year own-root Austin rose Radio Times by dumping fluffy horse manure (pH 8) mixed with peat moss (pH 4) to achieved neutral pH. I piled that up to 4 inch around the bush, then topped with corkscrew willow branches in early Dec. Willow branches have rooting hormone. In spring I found a baby Radio Times own-root next to the mother. That own-root was twice bigger than "band-size" sold at nursery. That's accidental rooting by "layering". Rooting by layering OUTSIDE through winter is MUCH EASIER than winterizing rootings in my unheated garage.

Bc _zone10b thanked strawchicago z5
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Straw and Seil! I might give the in-ground method of simply sticking it in the ground early next Spring, when it's not too hot, and if I get the chance try it your way Straw in October or November, with extra soil and willow branches since there are so many big willow trees here :) I might cut some extra willow branches and make willow tea to try on any cuttings I can get for indoor rooting this winter too. I'll keep you all posted on how that goes if I have any successes.

3 years ago

I use powder which is why it's more important to only apply a bit. I've read that gels work better for various reasons. I've also rooted just sticking in the ground next to a mother plant without it and currently have about six cuttings from the Spring that I hope make it through the winter. I've found it helps if I add compost to the soil. I use and pile the mulch high on the cutting. The most important thing is to keep the humidity up which the mother plant's leaves can provide. Spring prunings work great as the plant is primed for growth at that time. The advantage of layering is that the mother plant is still feeding what will be the new cutting.

Bc _zone10b thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Vapor, that all makes sense, thanks for the tips. Early spring I want to try a few of these methods, once the canes are in growth mode. Will be interesting to see what makes it.

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The thrill of a cutting "making it" never gets old. I check on my cuttings more than I do my roses! I have 22 varieties this year, but dread trying to get those in pots through the winter.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

This is exactly how I ended up with so many The Fairy plants. The original one was too close to the walkway, so I kept the long canes inside the bed by holding them in place with a rock. They rooted wherever they touched the ground. I transplanted them all over the garden.