Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwilmers

Desperate! Please help!

kwilmers
3 years ago

After sampling literally every light greige paint color known to the internet I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to either Benjamin Moore Gray Mist or Olympic Mountains (which I have been told is the same as Fog Mist). Think I’m leaning towards Gray Mist but just checking to see if anyone has any input/experience with either of these colors before I go buy a gallon to try on the walls. I have a tricky room with an east facing window in the back which is the dining room and a west facing window in the front of the room (living room) and then high vaulted ceilings in the entryway which stay pretty shaded mist of the day. Everything I like in the dining room turns too muddy/dark in the entryway corner especially in the evening. I’m pretty resolved that I will never find a color that I love in all the different lights but it’s going to cost quite a bit to have it painted due to the high ceilings and corners so I’m trying to make sure it’s right. It’s currently painted a light peachy color called Verona Beach by Dunn Edwards which was here when we moved in and while I don’t hate it I just want to make it a little lighter and more neutral but still warm and cozy. My family won’t even give their opinions anymore because they say I’m going crazy “just paint it white!” So any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

When you say "sampling" what does that mean? If you are just painting a small square on the walls with all the colors sides by side, that is really not helpful at all.

Get a sample of the color you like - paint it out on a large piece of poster board then hang it on the wall - not next to any other colors you are considering. Look at it in the day light, sunny and cloudy and at night. Do this for each wall that will be painted.

If it looks good - buy it

• kwilmers
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have done that actually but I may need to get larger boards the ones I have from the paint store are only 8x10 thick poster boards. I actually painted one entire wall (one of the ones that don’t get a lot of light) Wind’s Breath which is what I thought was what I wanted and it is oh so close but there is something about it I’m not liking in there. It goes slightly yellow/green.

• simplechoices
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

First off: Olympic Mountains is not the same as Fog Mist. They are close but not the same.

All these colors are so close in terms of their DNA.

Name: HueFamily Value Chroma

Olympic Mountains: 3.56 Y 8.62 0.81

Gray Mist: 4.88 Y 8.69 0.80

Fog Mist : 2.62 Y 8.65 0.9

Winds Breath: 2.87 Y 8.57 0.88

The only real difference is that Fog Mist and Olympic Mountains sits a little closer to the Yellow-Red Hue Family than Gray Mist which sits almost in the middle of the Yellow Hue Family. The fact that you are seeing a green/yellow hue is odd and means your light is not balanced.

Do not buy a full gallon without testing both. Buy Quarts. Yes it will cost you a bit, but testing is always worth it. Paint large poster boards and not the wall. Move them around during the day if you want to. The current paint color can trick your eye by "changing" the color on the board. It's best to have a neutral grey background, but even if you can't, you will get a good sense of the color in your space. Change your lightbulbs to something close to the 4000K as a warm white bulb might be what is causing every color to go murky.

I just added Winds Breath to the list of Data, and it is nearly identical to Fog Mist, so they will probably act the same.

A bump in Chroma (colorfulness) is what you might need to counter the murkiness. I will look for something similar to Gray Mist and get back to you.

Hope this helps.

• simplechoices
    3 years ago

Here you go. I have also tried to find you colors that have a slight bump in chroma and a bit closer to the yellow-red hue family to counter the green-yellow that you described. Ballet White has more Chroma than Gray Mist but sit close together on the color wheel. Maritime White and Sonnet also have more chroma than Grey Mist but also have a little "peachiness" to counter the yellow/green you were seeing.

• kwilmers
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow! Exactly the kind of info I am looking for thank you! I definitely need to address the lighting problem as I do have soft white bulbs the chandelier is too high for me to change the bulbs out but I am ordering a new one anyway so I will take your advice on the new bulbs when they install it. I have played with Ballet White before so I will use that for one of my poster boards for sure. At this point I have spent so much money on samples and the sticky ones from samplize as well I’m not really concerned about the cost of buying quarts so I will try that too. Had not looked at Sonnet yet so I will do that tomorrow but had actually been think about getting samples/quarts of either Maritime White or Feather Down. Thanks!! :)

• vjwilkinson
    3 years ago

If you like soft white lighting, i think you should keep it. (I hate cool-toned lighting and refuse to use it.) If I were you, I'd adjust paint color choice to fit your lighting preference, not vice-versa. There are thousands of paint colors but only a handful of choices for lighting temperature.