Software
Houzz Logo Print
kateavocado

Updating a kitchen remodeled in 2008

6 years ago

We just moved into a our first house and the previous owners remodeled the kitchen around 2008. It’s not...bad...it’s just not quite our style and seems a little outdated. Here are a few thoughts I had on ways to update without going too trendy just to have it looks dated again in a few years but I’d love to hear the opinions of others as I’m not very design-minded.

  1. Change the edging on the granite from bullnose to square.
  2. Replace the cabinet knobs and drawer pulls.
  3. Remove the crown molding on the cabinets (it appears to be a separate piece that could screw right off).
  4. Ditch the stove backsplash and 4 inch backsplash and replace with white subway tile.
  5. Paint the cabinets midnight/navy blue.
  6. Replace the faucet with a pull down one.

My biggest concern is the granite color. It looks to me with my untrained eye as Santa Cecilia Light but I definitely could be wrong. It has some yellow tones in it which I don’t love. I’m a bigger fan of white quartz so there’s more of that stark contrast with the cabinetry. Given the cost of replacing it I think we’ll likely just have to live with it.

For additional information the house is a 1950s ranch and we lean towards an updated version of mid century modern in terms of furniture and overall style.

Comments (16)

  • 6 years ago

    I would not alter the cabinets. The 12 y old paint finish is holding up well. I might do a different more simple molding on the top . You would inquire about the paint so you can match the cabs. Did they leave you this info in documents ? The hardware counter and backsplash is discretionary. Depends on what you seek to achieve. Consider budget and think of different options. Under cab task lighting would be an upgrade I would pursue before those optional expenditures/ unless it’s there.

  • 6 years ago

    I agree with Amber plus I would remove the focal backsplash above the stove; it is definitely dated. Then you can add a new backsplash to the entire area. The cabinet color and granite color appear neutral to me. Also I would invest in a rug to tie in the cabinets to the floor. The floor really pops for me and I see a lot of red/orange which conflicts with the cabinets. A soft rug to tie it all in might improve that. You have a great start!

  • 6 years ago

    That is a really nice kitchen. I agree that the colors seems off , at least in the photo on my monitor, the floor and the cabinet color is not harmonious and the cabinets to the counter as well. The counter kind of works with the cabinets, but you said you really don't like the counter. I don't know if that is santa cecilia ( if it is, it's the grayest looking one I have seen. it's usually a lot more gold yellow).

    I think the other things you mentioned such as changing out backsplash and hardware are certainly doable. I love navy but I might wait and just see if you can find a nice rug as has been suggested to tone everything down. That and some other accessories on the counters.

  • 6 years ago

    Add under cabinet lighting, then bring in several samples of subway tile in varying shades of white. If you go too super white it might bring out the yellow tones in the counter top, which will fight with your floors. Wait on evearything else, except for the rug, a few years and see if this doesn’t work for you.

  • 6 years ago

    The kitchen looks good to me. I would be tempted to live with it for a while to see how the layout works for you. There doesn't seem much point making cosmetic changes until you know if there is anything more fundamental to might also want to do and then you can do it all at the same time.

  • 6 years ago

    Get a real kitchen faucet. You cannot even put a pot under there! Besides that, I agree the colors don’t all work together. I would probably ditch the granite as it bothers me the most. Takes up a lot of eye real estate. If budget is a huge issue, consider an all white Corian or something. I say that without having priced it but others on here have said they like it and it seems to not be outrageous. You spend so much in the kitchen that I wouldn’t want to be bothered with it all the time.

  • 6 years ago

    If you like the layout (which you will know after cooking in there for a while) then the cost of painting the cabinets professionally might be worth it. However, if you want this kitchen to start moving towards mid century modern, then save your money. Refacing the cabinets in flat panel doors would give you a more MCM and less traditional/transitional look. But for now, everything else you planned (except the granite edge change) sound reasonable. Keep your long term goals in mind and don’t spend too much now. Faucet, backsplash for sure. (Having a granite edge changed on site is not reasonable.) Just curious - any plans to refinish the floors or change those? The strong color is difficult to design around.

  • 6 years ago

    I love this kitchen.
    Good eye about the faucet. I missed that but did see the pot filler which I have never understood. They make it easier when you have lobster or a huge crowd for a pasta dinner but just who is going to empty that pot? Hmmm. 😬. It’s interesting that they would upgrade to add that but put in a dinky bathroom type faucet.
    I think this kitchen could be gorgeous if the granite was replaced with a white counter. Is there room for a small narrow island to bring interst to the center?

  • 6 years ago

    I also like the kitchen. A new faucet and hardware are easy fixes. A good paint job is not cheap, but it would allow you to change the crown molding.


    Be careful about removing the granite backsplash. If the granite countertop was not well fitted to the walls, then there may be a gap which is not filled by the thinner tile.

  • 6 years ago

    The thing that jumps out at my the most is that the backsplash behind the stove doesn’t go with the cabinets or countertop. I agree with PP above - remove the 4” “lip” and fill the whole space under the upper cabinets and above stove with a simple backsplash with a light color that goes with both. I also think if you put a colorful (washable) rug down, it would cheer things up a bit.

  • 6 years ago

    Backsplash

    Faucet

    Lighting (it seems awfully cool/blue)

    Cabinet pulls/knobs

    Replace cabinet moulding if feasible

    If you want to change the cabinet color to something that doesn’t have an expiration date, navy is not your answer. Besides, I don’t see it with your granite, which I definitely think you should keep. Are you amenable to a different color? Btw, Whoever repainted those cabinets in 2008 did a really good job it appears. If you decide to repaint, get that person’s name from the previous owners!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I’d skip navy, as you have to coordinate better with the granite as the floor has a strong impact and I think you have to tone down contrasts.




    Change hardware, faucet, tile to subway. I’d leave moldIng and granite as is.

  • 6 years ago

    Yes to a new faucet!! I totally missed that.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I like your kitchen. I would replace crown with something simple. replace the counter with a white quartz and add a new backsplash. There are some reasonably priced quartzes (Cosmos, MSI) available.

    I see a lot of high-end Parade homes showcasing a different tile behind the stove. The difference I see is they are not doing it outlined with a picture frame. Instead, it covers the entire area. A lot like yours in layout. Your tile is dated. The idea of an accent wall is fresh and current.


    If you do white subway tile, I would consider an accent wall over the stove.