Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_164742531

recommendation for a rechargeable battery mower?

6 years ago

Probably between 1/4 and 1/3 of an acre to be mowed. I need a good mower that can be maneuvered by a 4'11" 100 pound female.

Comments (11)

  • 6 years ago

    How long does the battery work on a single charge? I don't have a huge lawn but I'd like to do it in one go.

  • 6 years ago

    Mine almost always lasts 45 minutes to mow about 6,000 square feet. The only time it does not last is when I let it go for a month without mowing. I have to go over everything twice, so it's longer than 45 minutes. Fortunately I have 3 batteries, so I can finish the job, but not with the original battery. My lot is slightly hilly and St Augustine is a very dense turf, so I use the self propelled feature all the time.

  • 6 years ago

    i would likely need to use the self propelled feature because i'm a tiny person!

  • 6 years ago

    David, can you tell us the voltage and amps on the battery? Plus the amps on the mower? It's a useful guide to how long things will last and their tolerance to drag (so those with lighter lawns can or cannot be assured that this will work better/not better for them). Also, the battery type, which I assume is lithium.


    I could look it up but I have a vet appointment in 50 minutes and I need my rabies shots... :-)

  • 6 years ago

    56V 7.5 Ah ARC Lithium™ battery.

    I don't see amps on the motor.

  • 6 years ago

    Off topic or on topic....re: cordless OPE .It's all about the battery system you buy into but also batteries start -going bad- they minute they roll off the factory line. They do have a declining lifespan, and this is taking into account then when not in use, the battery is also kept in the proper SOC. On my battery OPE, it's a hedge trimmer, a extension hedge trimmer, chainsaw, blower, weed whacker. they're decent, don't smell like gas at the end of the day, but I find the tools are not balanced and heavy for typical handheld use. But it's nice to use on a early Sunday morning...


    So for those reading this thread, just keep in mind, that batteries as well do have a usable life, and replacements in the high AH, 40V, etc packs are not cheap. Whereas a -motored- product can potentially be a lifetime tool.

  • 6 years ago

    That's true, but most users can rest assured that lithium batteries are very durable and fairly tolerant of normal conditions (compared to, say, the average lead-acid battery or an NiMH). Offhand, the lithium type is not listed for this particular battery, although I could probably do a deep dive and find out. There are three kinds; lithium-ion, lithium-manganese, and lithium-iron. The voltage is consistent with a lithium-ion and lithium-manganese, but voltage regulators aren't exactly expensive or difficult to concoct and I can throw one together in about ten seconds on my bench.


    The listed lifespan is 3-5 years or about 500 charges, but that's widely variable. I have smaller 18500 batteries at home that are near the 5 year "limit" that still work extremely well, and are well over 500 visits to the charger. It's all in how you treat them.


    Killers of lithiums include high temperatures. Fortunately, you also don't like really high temperatures and won't be using it under these. Your garage might suffer from high temperatures and the battery will tend to last longer if you can store it indoors.

    Location does depend here. My garage rarely gets warmer than 30 C (86 F) and not for terribly long, due to being in PA and facing northeast. I don't worry about battery storage out there, but still tend to bring smaller ones in for storage in July and August.

    Low temperatures to -20 C (-4 F) are fine, so please feel free to store your batteries in the garage over winter through most of the United States, some of Canada, Europe, Oz, and so on.


    They do best if not used full-stroke, so don't fully discharge your battery before recharging it. Using 60% of the charge and then recharging it would mean getting around 2 1/2 times the lifespan out of the battery. For most of us, this is inconvenient.

    However, stopping at the 80% discharge point (not so inconvenient) will extend your battery life out to about 1.5 times the recharge rates of your batteries.

    So, if your batteries would normally last for 500 charges, simply stopping at 80% depth of discharge will extend the lifespan to around 750 charges.

    Theoretically, if you can arrange for very light use of your lithium batteries, you can do much better. Most of us can't do this and I won't discuss it here.


    Age is the third killer of lithium batteries, but it does depend on battery type, make, and model. It's also not a hard wall. After about 4 years, battery capacity is reduced to around 80-85% of the maximum (and most batteries are actually performing better than this these days; the average Samsung is still in the mid-90's).

    Combining constant heat and age is a killer, however, so cool storage over long periods of time is necessary.


    For longer-term storage, such as over winter, it's smart to discharge the battery to around the halfway point as well. Lithium batteries store best when half-discharged as they're not under stress at that point. Check periodically (once or twice) to assure that they're still charged as storing a dead battery will kill it quickly, and any monitoring system attached to the battery is using power.


    Combining all these tricks can extend lithium battery life amazingly. They'll all eventually die, of course, but you can get an incredible amount of life out of that battery.

  • 6 years ago

    Morph.....here's the ? for most consumer homeowners though....what is the SOC will they keep it in between seasons. How long will they just let it sit on the charger for a finite amount of time ? Or how long will they let it sit at a finite amount of discharge.

    I get the whole convenience thing with battery operated OPE. 2 stroke, 4 stroke, how much oil, how much will I smell afterwards. The noise, etc.

    As long as the -consumer- knows what ROI they will get out of said tool, I'm all onboard. Because these are battery driven devices though, I feel like with poor/misinformed practices, said systems are often having failed life or just bad battery performance sooner than later....comes with the territory I suppose. A single battery does run at least a Benjamin for these things (on average). No right or wrong on battery vs. OPE. I personally just see consumer battery OPE and such filling up the landfill more.....vs a gasser that just keeps on running, as long as it has clean fuel.



  • 6 years ago

    Shrug. Will the consumer change the oil? Will they use a gas and oil mixture if they're supposed to? Will they maintain the engine properly? Do they have a clue about spark plugs? Will they eventually recycle the engine the way the batteries can (and are supposed to be) recycled?


    It cuts both ways. Electric engines are extremely simple things.

  • 6 years ago

    I've got both gas and battery....I tend to grab the gassers....I do LOVE the battery operated blower, but I use it way much more for blow drying the cars after a wash. Power delivery imo is better and it's more balanced on the gas tools


    I dunno. You can have a crappy not maintained mower still running in year 10 and still mow the entire lawn. I don't see that happening with a electric lawn mower - in which the battery was either left in whatever state it was left in since it's final mow before the end of season. Battery talk aside, brushless motors do fail. More often I've seen is not the motor, but the controller goes bad...solder/wire fail. Not exactly a DIY repair as well depending on cost/availability and what needs to be broken down in order to repair.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Columbus High Quality Painting Expert