Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_446578433

Motorized blinds - levolor? kirsch? hunter Douglas?

Z Y
3 years ago

Looking to get motorized roller shades (2 sliding windows) + motorized cellular honeycombs (a few of them being top down/bottom up).

I’ve talked to Home Depot and another local blinds store. They suggested levolor, kirsch, and hunter Douglas and I’m waiting on the quotes. Anyone have any insight? I’d like to be cost effective if possible

Comments (30)

• teaka123
    3 years ago

I'm looking for the same information!

• Z Y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Let me know if you find anything and I’ll do the same :)

• Nidnay
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just recently (3 weeks ago) had Lowe’s install Levelor motorized cellular shades (12 of them....which equals 144 batteries!). I LOVE them! So much more reasonable than many of the others out there. I checked out blinds.com and the same shades were much more expensive and Hunter Douglas was completely out of the ballpark.

Lowe’s came out and measured and did the install. Everything went off without a hitch. I love that I can set up the shades to rise and close according to a schedule through the app (you need the six channel remote for that I believe).

Lowe’s puts them on sale regularly so if you go that route, I would inquire when the next sale is (I received 40% off their regular price). One thing to remember about the Levelor ones is that they are Bluetooth only (not WiFi) so you cannot operate them while away from home (although your schedules will operate automatically no matter what).

I’m very happy with my purchase.

Bathroom shades....

Room darkening for the Master....

Z Y thanked Nidnay
  • Z Y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

chrisinsd and nidnay thank you both SO much!! very helpful and much appreciated!!!

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    3 years ago

How about our Fenstermann Shades? Our lithium battery motors do NOT require you to change any batteries - you charge the system like your tablet via a plug and play cable every 6 to 9 months and you are good to go. The motors are remote controlled and you can operate all motors (up to 15) on one RC. We have by far the largest selection in fabrics and our quality is pretty good as well (just see our reviews here on HOUZZ). Check us out at www.fenstermann.com or give us a call at 619.665.9446

• T
    3 years ago

@Nidnay how did they install those window treatments? I have the same windows as you I think and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to do the inset window treatments on double hung windows!

• Nidnay
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In order to hang them inset, you need fairly deep window wells. Mine are very deep (due to cheap thin windows and 2x6 exterior walls). Mine are hung by clips that are screwed into the top inside jamb. If your jambs are not deep enough, you either have to do an outside mount, or change the trim around the windows to make them deeper. I have 5 inches of depth for the shades so it’s not an issue for me.

My daughter has the same problem with her brand new (very expensive) windows...no room for an inside mount, so she is building out her trim to accommodate an inside mount.

• T
    3 years ago

@Nidnay oh shoot! I should've been more aware of this when we were building... I think it's too late now to change anything at this point. To build out the trim would be a big undertaking I don't think I can do that. My best option may be outside mount I'm thinking.

Right now, I can fit inside mount but it would drill into the top of the window (if I were to raise the bottom one all the way up it would go right into the window treatment). Blaaaaa! I wish I would've had them do it the way yours are done.

Thank you though!

• Nidnay
    3 years ago

It’s just one of those things that is SUPER easy to overlook when building or replacing windows. Unless your builder is sharp and thinking about it, it’s just something that wouldn't even come up. And not many homeowners are thinking about window jambs and their depth.....not on their radar.

When people finally get around to their window treatments, it’s a real shocker (and disappointment).

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    3 years ago

@Nidnay thank you so much!! We had no idea what to do in the big world of blinds. We are building with 2x6 so we should be ok. Thank you for the videos!!!

• T
    3 years ago

I guess outside mount isn't the end of the world but I love our trim and would hate to cover it up... I'll have to look up some pictures for inspiration. Right now we have the stick on paper blinds. I'm going to start by adding curtains in rooms first and go from there!

• Linda Yin
    3 years ago

Has anyone seen 40% off Levolor at Lowe’s? I’m only seeing 25%.

• Nidnay
    3 years ago

I was so happy with my blinds that I decided to install more in my guest room and got 50% off. That was about 1 month ago. Ask your sales rep when they’ll be going down that low. They are very often on sale for at least 40% off.

• Linda Yin
    3 years ago

Nidnay thank you for your response! I’ll go my local store and ask. I love your blinds and can’t wait for my own.

• Nidnay
    3 years ago

You will LOVE them once they’re installed! The convenience is sooo nice.

• Sunil J
    3 years ago

@chrisinsd this is terrific info and research, thanks for sharing!

• Linda Yin
    3 years ago

Mine were installed about a month ago. They are fantastic. I’m so glad I went with Levolor.

• bibbus 7b
    3 years ago

Can some of you give a ballpark price breakdown? Is it feasible to do a double window in one room?

• Nidnay
    3 years ago

When you say “double window” do you mean 1 shade or 2, and how wide is your window?

• bibbus 7b
    3 years ago

I would prefer one shade over two windows that are right next to each other. the demensions are approximately 6 ft by 6 ft.

• Nidnay
    3 years ago

To give you an idea, My largest blind was 93” x 65” and cost $399 (That was with 50% off). Several others were 26 x 63” @ $224 (again at half price).

• bibbus 7b
    3 years ago

Thank you. And the motorized part, how much was that?

• Nidnay
    3 years ago

Each price was the ENTIRE cost for the motorized blind. When they go on sale, it’s usually 30-40% off the regular price. I was able to get 50% off because a few months prior I got a couple of rooms full of blinds and the woman who worked with me kindly took off another 10%. It was like $2400 for nine motorized blinds (including remote and installation). It doesn’t get much better than that as far as price goes.

Go to Lowe’s and they will walk you through the entire process....and make sure to ask when they’re going on sale (which happens quite frequently).

• bibbus 7b
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! I will do that.

• nolagirl51
    2 years ago

Can anyone suggest a color from Levelor sheer shade and the collection i cant decide between snow and whisper in the Dresden Collection Here is a picture of the 4 windows Thanks!

• Patricia Mawer
    last year

Anyone here buy a motorized shade that is about 115" wide? If so- any problems? Thahks.

• Nidnay
    last year

My widest shade is 93”….not 115”, but no problems with it. Operates just like all my other shades….and uses the same number of batteries as my much smaller shades.

• Patty Mawer
    last year

Thank you for sharing!

• ALI
    last year

Great information! Thank you!