Software
Houzz Logo Print
lyssamae01

Help with paint colors / accent wall

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We moved into a house that is straight out of the 90s and I am painting it to give it an updated look, but can't decide on color. I was sure after looking online that I wanted Sherwin Williams Repose Gray, but that looked very light on the walls, as we get a lot of sunlight. So, I went down to Mindful Gray, but that was too dark. I think I want to land somewhere in the middle. What do you think? Repose on the left/mindful on the right and a middle color on top and bottom in the pictures.


My next question is what color to do the accent wall that the TV is on and what color to do the walk in door from the garage. Have to get rid of all these 90s greens. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!







Comments (10)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago



    Mindful Grey



    Repose Grey



    Popular Grey



    Stone Lion



    Amazing Grey


    Balanced Beige.



    Versatile Grey

    I think neither of your choices. they read way too cool. Because of your carpet and fireplace I think you need a warmer grey or even beige.

    No accent wall! paint all walls the same color.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I agree, if anything, a greige. BM Edgecomb Gray, BM Gray Mist.

    Google ideas for the most popular greige paint colors.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for the suggestions. Repose and Mindful are supposed to be warm grays, but they are pulling cool for some reason in our house!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago


    Any of these are a little warmer and might work better





    SW Passive

  • 6 years ago

    Quick question, do you plan to paint the fireplace at all? Either or, city loft for the accent wall and Balboa mist for the other walls. I think painting the fireplace white or black would make it pop in the space. :) Accent walls don't have to be drastically different colors ;)

    lyssamae01 thanked Comoelita Melendez
  • 6 years ago

    No plans to paint the fireplace at this time.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    something else you have to consider is all of the oak trim, the oak bookcases, mantle, and even the fan. they all throw out a warmer, yellow tone. Any cooler gray is going to clash.

    I suggest getting a new fan (or at least fan blades, or try painting yours) painting the bookcase (or getting something else for that spot), and if you can, all of that oak trim around the doors/basebaords. If you want to move out of the 90's that's the only way you're going to do it. And to be honest, it's not some fabulous type of oak. it's generic and inexpensive builder basic trim they used back then. prime it and paint it white.

    Pale Oak and White dove trim


    SW Crushed Ice and a nice bright door and trim.


    Eider White


    Otherwise, embrace all of the yellow wood tones and pick another color and go w/cabin theme.

  • 6 years ago

    Yep! Love the look, but we have a baby on the way so won't have time to do all of that. Have a painter hired and just looking for a good color for now :)

  • 6 years ago

    Gotcha OP, would still choose city loft(for the accent wall) and balboa mist for other walls. :D

    Definitely gives you room to play around with decor later. Our builder was offering to paint our interior this sky blue(one of many choices) but I KNEW we were not going to stay committed to blue forever and KNEW we didn't feel like painting(if we changed our minds) after doing it a ton with our last home we sold. So, though I loved the blue color we decided to go with BM San Francisco fog. Gr-eige type of color, maybe another choice you could consider if you want. Gives you the best of both worlds. Great neutral color ;)


    Would show you ours but we have not gotten to painting just yet. ;)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    lyss,,,have the painter prime all of the wood trim/baseboards. since he's already there, won't be much more for him to spray it. then when you can do it, paint for an hour each day. just little by little do a semi-gloss white paint over the trim part. even if it takes you weeks, you'll get it done.

    your words were, 'moving into a 90's house and want to update it w/paint.' That's how you have to do it. leaving the trim as is, is still going to look like a 90's house, even w/new wall paint.


    the trim is yellow tone. If you really want that gray on the wall, you'll have to paint this trim.