Software
Houzz Logo Print
warnerreisman

design help for blank wall in dining room

6 years ago

I’m desperate to do something with dining room wall. Note that there is a soffit and dining table not centered. How do I ignore or use soffit. I’ve thought of grass cloth. Artwork and paint. But anything looks strange due to the soffit on left wall.
Thoughts

Comments (44)

  • 6 years ago

    That vent is sticking out more than the soffit. Paint it the same color as the wall.

  • 6 years ago

    A vent is a vent, I didn’t even notice till it was pointed out. It looks like it is the same color as the wall to me, but if not I agree, it should be the same color. I think the soffit does not distract whatsoever. I would paint the soffit and walls all the same color, which it looks like you’ve done? But hard to tell with lighting and monitor colors. It’s a beautiful room. A great art piece on the blank wall would complete your room!

  • 6 years ago

    I’m not planning on redoing my HVAC but thanks for the pleasantly worded comment shirlpp and it is the same color.
    Home owner the walls are all the same color. An art piece should be centered. But centered to what. If in line with table it’s not center of room. Picture I want to paint wall a different color as a focal point. Just that wall. It won’t work with soffit. Or wallpaper or grass cloth on back wall. How with that soffit? Thats my question.

  • 6 years ago

    Have you considered making the far wall (empty one) the one you paint picking up on those great blues? I would center the furniture n art based on table placement n can always put floor vase or plant to fill space to left so doesn’t look off center from photo vantage point. Good luck

  • 6 years ago

    From the angle of your photo, the soffit almost looks like a tray ceiling. Maybe coffer the ceiling or some other kind of ceiling decor that incorporates the soffit. Then you can work with the back wall.

  • 6 years ago

    Love your space and colors! Really pretty. The buffet wall feels a bit overdone. Art, buffet, extra chairs, lamp, candles,photos, etc. how much space is behind the chair at the long end of the table? I almost feel like the art should go on that wall, since you can see it from the living room. Maybe add a few shelves above the buffet and move the photos up to the shelves? You cannot actually use most of the the top of the buffet for food, plates, etc.

  • 6 years ago

    You can center art on the wall, or on the chandelier, or over the buffet. It doesn’t have to be centered on the buffet, but if I hang a single piece of art over the buffet, I would center it on that piece. I like my dining table centered under the chandelier even if the chandelier is off-center. If you hang more than one piece of art, you do have some leeway. If I hang two or three smaller pieces over the buffet, I would not go beyond either end of the furniture. I try not to put too much stuff on any surface to avoid the cluttered look.

  • 6 years ago

    Can the buffet go on the blank wall?

  • 6 years ago

    Every room has assets and deficits. Soffits are deficits, and if you can’t hide a deficit you can always try to highlight an asset!

    The buffet is the focal point right now which calls attention to that wall. I would edit the bric a brac and add some vertical shapes to help counter all the horizontal planes. Matching tall topiaries or a pair of tall lamps would add height and help visually support the soffit.

    Personally, I would like to see a big piece of art as a focal point on the end wall to draw the eye away from the soffit wall. Lighting over the piece would create drama. The colour scheme could use some bright pops of colour. and a nice big abstract would shake things up a bit. They are great conversation pieces and perfect for dining rooms. It’s a beautiful room. A tall mahogany wardrobe would also look great on the end wall and balance the space, if there‘s space. Alternatively an antique silk kimono wall hanging, or a textile hanging would be stunning! Three vertical silk panels would be quite lovely as well

    It’s already a gorgeous space. I love the classic colour scheme. Please post photos, whatever you decide to do. Have fun!


  • 6 years ago

    ....

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks everyone. It is the blank wall at the end I’m trying to do something with. Second the buffet is not usually that cluttered the candlesticks go on the table but I’ve been doing my jigsaw puzzles on the table during COVID. I’ll show you tomorrow how it normally looks pre COVID.

  • 6 years ago

    What about boxing in a ‘faux’ soffit across the back wall?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Try hanging cobalt blue decorative plates above the buffet and have your wall art at the end wall or a different painting

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Your room looks great............you're just not finished yet. Here is how I might compose the wall with the buffet. Whether you use wallpaper or paint is your call. I can't see how it might end on an outside corner.

    As for the other wall, I would assemble a plate arrangement. Depending on the plates you find you may need to paint that back wall to showcase the plates.







  • 6 years ago

    Thanks. For the most part my buffet wall is like that without sconces. Plates while nice I find a little traditional for my tastes. Any other ideas?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Oversize triptych....


  • 6 years ago

    The soffit only looks awkward because you are featuring that part of the room. I would put a large piece of art on the blank wall (love the one MJD just posted!) - center it on the chandelier, and then add coordinating art or plates above the buffet. Definitely center the table under the chandelier - and add a rug underneath. It will make the soffit appear intentional.

  • 6 years ago

    I like the idea of a doing a gallery wall but don't hang the art evenly. If each piece was a smaller individual piece with something cohesive tying them together (All b&w or same colour frame) and if you hung them 'unevenly' (see below for inspiration) you could find a layout that works for your wall shape and it would really play into the uneven wall shape in a fun way.




    I would also consider de-cluttering that side hutch thing. It looks busy, but I like the blue/white you have!

  • 6 years ago

    I love the 6 brown frame blue foliage prints. Would help make look centered. Can you share where to buy. I’ve been googling but have not seen these 6. Thx

  • 6 years ago

    The ones from BeverlyFLADeziner

  • 6 years ago

    Hey Warner, when I wrote out my comment, I just googled 'uneven gallery wall' but I've dug through and found you the original link.


    http://ourstylestories.com/2015/07/29/jane-and-daniel-cheeks-style-story/


    Not sure where they bought the prints, but as an avid thrifter I see art JUST like this at every single thrift store I go to.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Kaitlyn M. Different tastes. Funny you think my buffet is busy and I find this picture layout too busy. Appreciate you looking for this though.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Have the entire wall mirrored by a glass company, also with beveled mirror strips for edges and going up and down in sections. Will look amazing! On your ceiling, apply a lincrusta. The room will be too amazing to notice the soffit.

    Mirrored walls are back. Make your room look twice as big. https://www.pinterest.com/janicemillerrn/mirrored-walls/

    It can be simple. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/221520875405082597/

    Here's one idea that I like. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/495818240229252812/

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Did you ever have the buffet on the back wall as suggested by quite a few? It might be worth a try.

  • 6 years ago

    It will not fit. Thanks. The dining table would then be pushed out into other rooms

  • 6 years ago

    No. No mirrors. Sorry but thanks

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Warnerreisman!
    I stared for a long time at your wall trying to think of something that would tie it all together. Here's my idea for you. What about open "box" shelving that is made up of connected boxes of various sizes with an asymmetrical design that way it's repeating square and rectangular shapes that are in the soffit, table, staircase, buffet, chairs etc? You could paint it blue, white or a warm red or yellow to make it pop out as a statement piece all on its own. Then you could put family photos on the various box shelves. You can make it any size and shape and just have fun with it! It would be amazing and personal and unique! I was an Art major and now I am artist. I think it would be a slam dunk!

  • 6 years ago

    P.S. Or stain the box shelving to match your brown buffet for a more neutral look!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    What about turning the table the other way and then putting the buffet on the other wall? Probably not enough room to walk around.

  • 6 years ago

    Here’s some beautiful blue coral artwork at ballard designs that would look great in your space. You could do a grouping of 4 or 6. There is also a lot of similar art on Etsy.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hi warnerreisman, You don’t want your dining room to be traditional yet you have everything there that is traditional more like gothic. Are you planning on giving purchasing new furniture?

  • 6 years ago

    Gothic? It’s more transitional....and a little British West Indies comfortable

  • 6 years ago

    I think you can search on Etsy for blue botanical prints or blue fern prints. Can buy just the prints and frame them, or buy framed, or buy the image and print at home.

  • 6 years ago

    I like how the soffit, walls and ceiling are all the same color. That is a good start in making the soffits disappear.
    I would add something large and colorful on the wall to focus the eye there instead of on the soffits. Like one big painting. Or make it an accent wall with peel and stick wallpaper. Something really eye catching so you walk in and see it immediately and don’t even notice the soffits.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/indigo-foliage-print/?cm_src=AutoRel

    The blue prints are from WS Home, but I'm sure you can get something similar for less on Etsy.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I found the attached prints and am thinking of getting and putting in black frames like the picture so that it’s not too fancy. Don’t want to go too much into fancy traditional. My other room is getting some whimsy with a cow picture.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Big abstract art to bring a modern edge to the room--not necessarily this but this vibe. Check Etsy--you might be able to commission someone to do line art in blue. Or check out Society 6.

    Large Abstract Painting on Canvas Modern Acrylic Skyline- 40x40- Blues, White · More Info



    Bungalow 5 Castelli Framed Silk Panel in Blue · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Love the buffet and am also a "gatherer" so wouldnt change a thing! Perhaps wildly celebrate your soffited wall by accommodating it with a wallpaper mural feature. .

  • 6 years ago

    Love the potted plant art!

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Agreed - odd ceiling. You could carry the soffit onto the other 2 walls, add crown, and make it look like a tray ceiling. As far as being centered, let a large piece of artwork dictate the center, not the other way around.