Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neptune25

Question about Hachiya persimmon tree

neptune25
3 years ago

I planted a Hachiya persimmon tree back 2014. At the time, it was about 4 feet tall. Now it's about 10 feet. Last year, it flowered for the very first time, but all the tiny fruit fell off. This year, there have been 3 smallish fruits that stayed on the tree. One was turning orange and becoming a little soft, so I picked it tonight.

These fruits are much smaller than the kind you get at the grocery store. The fruit I picked tonight is about 2 inches long and 2 inches wide. So, I was wondering—is it normal to get smaller fruit when a tree first starts bearing? And then they gradually get bigger each year? Thanks for any info.

Comments (9)

• neptune25
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks, Ken. What are the names of some varieties of kaki that bear small fruit? The fruit I'm getting so far is oblong-shaped like a miniature Hachiya.

And, in other words, you can't necessarily trust what a nursery claims to be selling you?? :)

• jason long (Z8a/7b)
    3 years ago

even reputable nurseries buy from wholesale retailers, so they will still get it wrong sometimes.

Saijo is a smaller persimmon that has the same shape as Hachiya. you mentioned that the fruits are 2" x 2" are they acorn shaped?

If not, you there are lots of round varieties that it could be, cinnamon, sweet pumpkin.

If the fruit is pleasant to eat before becoming fully soft, but still fully colored (ie non-astringent) it would be easier to try and look it up as well. if it is astringent, then we would still have lots of possibilities.

The tree can produce smaller fruit in the first year of production if it still hasn't developed the roots enough to provide all the nutrients to the fruit. Another thing, commercial growers all thin their fruits. I wouldn't want to with so few fruits, but next year, maybe take 1/4 of them off the tree when they are quarter sized. That way the rest get more nutrients/sugar and will grow larger in size. You may still have a Hachiya.

neptune25 thanked jason long (Z8a/7b)
  • neptune25
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jason wrote:

"Saijo is a smaller persimmon that has the same shape as Hachiya. you mentioned that the fruits are 2" x 2" are they acorn shaped?"

Please see the pix below. I read that Saijo is mostly seedless, and my specimen appears that way.

"If the fruit is pleasant to eat before becoming fully soft"

Didn't try that, but I picked the fruit when it was slightly soft, and it became fully soft in just a few days.

"but next year, maybe take 1/4 of them off the tree when they are quarter sized. That way the rest get more nutrients/sugar and will grow larger in size."

Thanks—makes sense.

"You may still have a Hachiya."

What do you think now after looking at the photos? ;)

• jason long (Z8a/7b)
    3 years ago

I think you likely have a Saijo, which is not a bad thing at all as they are supposed to be really good. However, the tree can get larger and the fruits are smaller. Given that it has ripened now, i would also say it is an early ripening variety (which Saijo is, Hachiya is a mid season, so should be ripening end of October).

neptune25 thanked jason long (Z8a/7b)
  • neptune25
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jason wrote:

I think you likely have a Saijo, which is not a bad thing at all as they are supposed to be really good.

It tasted just fine. The only thing that makes me question whether I have a Saijo is that a couple of articles said the foliage turns various colors later in the fall. I don't think my tree does that, but I'll have to pay special attention this year.

However, the tree can get larger and the fruits are smaller.

That's okay.

which Saijo is, Hachiya is a mid season, so should be ripening end of October

Thanks—makes sense. There are still a couple of fruit left on the tree, so we'll see when they start turning orange.

• Ken "Fruity Paws" (N-Va 7a)
    3 years ago

I have a Saijo but too young to fruit, so I'd be happy with those that you showed. If I remember, I'll look at my fruit tree catalogs when I get them, to see which other small varieties they offer. I toss them after I ordered last fall because the temptation of flipping pages is too great!

neptune25 thanked Ken "Fruity Paws" (N-Va 7a)
  • jason long (Z8a/7b)
    3 years ago

@ken, I suffer from the same problem. What else can i squeeze into my yard and keep watered, doesn't fail every year i seem to at least get one new tree.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ken wrote:

I have a Saijo but too young to fruit, so I'd be happy with those that you showed.

The fruit tasted good. In fact, one article said that Saijo is the sweetest variety out there.

If I remember, I'll look at my fruit tree catalogs when I get them, to see which other small varieties they offer. I toss them after I ordered last fall because the temptation of flipping pages is too great!

I actually hardly ever even look at paper catalogs anymore! Yeah, it would be interesting to know about other common small varieties.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus