briana_blakefield

granite vs quartz

Building a new home and debating between granite and quartz- these are the two options we like for the counter tops- my husband likes that you can sit hot stuff on the granite and the quartz is $3,800 extra.. but I love the quartz color.. I think! I am terrible at decisions! Is this granite too dated Luna Pearl, and what are your thoughts on Cambria Berwyn. Any picture of either one of you have them would be helpful!! Thank you

• K R

Two totally different looks. If it were me I would 100% choose the quartz combo, it will be lighter and more updated. The granite paired with the dark backsplash and floors will be, well, dark. And more of a look from mid 2000’s. Just google Cambria Berwyn and there are tons of images of different kitchens using that quartz. It’s pretty busy, but so is the granite.

• thinkdesignlive

Your backsplash and wall color will look off together regardless of counter. Best to stick with a splash that matches the cabinets if you have to select it before counters are in. I am not a fan of that type of quartz or granite but if someone held a gun to my head I’d pick the granite.

Granite Vs. Quartz

Quartz is fairly uniform in color. There can be a great deal of variation in color in one slab of granite and from slab to slab. Quartz is harder than granite and does not need sealing. The only natural material harder than quartz is saphire, diamond and topaz. Silestone brand of quartz inserts an anti-bacterial agent in their manufacturing process. Quartz does not need to be sealed. Granite, not being as hard as quartz, is more porous. Some granites need to be sealed. Because it is a natural material, there are variations in porosity. There is no way to know exactly how hard your granite will be so you will most likely be told to seal it. Quartz cannot be repaired if it chips or breaks. Granite can be touched up and fixes can be almost unnoticed.

granite vs. quartz countertops

Both are great in terms of durability and maintenance. I think it depends on the look that you want and your other selections. If you like the movement and color variation of natural stone, I would select granite. If you like the clean, uniform look of quartz, go with that.

Granite vs Quartz

i cant think of any cons for my quartz my island is honed black granite. the honed surface makes it more difficult to clean as you need to buff it dry so it doesnt show sponge marks. but the honed surface also makes it much less refective/glarey. absolute black is a very close grained stone so it needs no sealing.

Granite Vs Quartz

Is Quartz in and Granite out?
  • Briana Blakefield

Oooh thank you! I am no design expert so I have no clue I just picked them at the design center- I like the agreeable gray walls- what backsplash color do you recommend? Cabinets are white

• Steph H

I like the quartz with the cabinet color.

• Melissa R

another vote for the quartz. I do think that granite is a bit dated.

• Rachel

I'm building a new home and one bath has colors very similar to yours and I've selected Luna Pearl countertop. The colors are perfect but I'm a bit concerned that with the mosaic tile I'm using, it may be too busy but that doesn't seem to be an issue with your selections. FWIW, I don't care for the quartz you've selected . . . I think it's too busy though the colors are lovely. That's a pretty big difference in price.

• Susan B Wright

Go with what you love. Both are lovely choices and I can see how you would be happy with either one. You do not remodel your kitchen often so have to go with the love. Good luck.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Your husband is wrong about setting hot things on stone. Trivet use is recommended by the Natural Stone Institute, the 70-year-old trade association of the natural stone industry. No exceptions.

Required trivet use makes granite, engineered stone, and Corian essentially equal in the heat resistance department.

• jewelisfabulous

I like the quartz. Do keep in mind that it is has a polymer to bind the quartz chips together, so it will scorch if a hot pot is put on it.

• SashaDog

I like the granite, I think what surrounds it in the kitchen is what makes it look ‘dated’. But the quartz will also look dated in5-10 years anyway. Plus, $3,800 is a fair chunk of cash.

• msteezzy

That is a really nice use of the granite.

• acm

I like the granite, because I think you'll end up with a very pale kitchen if you go for the quartz. but either can be nice. if you do go with the granite, find a lighter backsplash and make sure it doesn't clash with the undertones in the flooring...

• Briana Blakefield

SashaDog I love how you put that together! Is that your kitchen?

Beth H. :

that's quite a big diff from granite and quartz. Cambria is one of the most expensive and Luna Pearl is one of the cheapest granites. So, keep that in mind.

you're going to be living with it for a long time, so don't let the extra cost sway you too much. If the only thing he doesn't like about is the hot pan thing, buy lots of trivets! what's the big deal?

this is Luna Pearl and what it usually looks like. the tiny little sample pieces you look at don't give you any clue about the entire slab. you must ALWAYS view the entire slab before EVER purchasing your countertops. That advice is free and will save you a ton of headaches.

personally I wouldn't choose this granite when there are so many other better choices

what Sasha dog showed you is ok, because the granite top is used sparingly. It just depends how your kitchen is being built (is there and island) and how long your countertops are. it could work in a tiny kitchen, but this stone is just too busy and too dated looking to put in a brand new, large open kitchen. There's a reason why you never see it used.

River White granite (Dallas White, Kasmir) is pretty cheap. I'd take this over Luna

you can find middle ground on both choices.

leave out the backsplash tile choice until everything else is installed.

Have you gone to an actual stone yard and walked around? Not home depot or lowes, but an actual stone yard? There are tons of granite choices, or even quartzite.

Have you considered quartzite? stronger than granite, but it has more subtle patterns.

Taj Majal

SeaPearl

White Macaubas

honed and polished

are all good examples.

you have to make sure it's true quartzite and not a marble, so do your homework.

Fusion Quartzite

Galaxy White granite

• Mrs Pete

I prefer granite over quartz ... but I don't care for THAT granite. I don't know if it's "too dated" or if it's too "basic", but I don't care for it.

In spite of not liking quartz, I do like the quartz you've chosen.

• eageree

I have Cambria Berwyn in our kitchen and love it. There is a lengthy Houzz thread about Berwyn - started over 3 years ago I think. Many pictures and comments. It helped me alot in my decision making. I do recommend to work with your fabricator and the layout of the slab. Berwyn does have some sparkle - or at least it did 3 years ago - and since I'm not a sparkle person I wanted to minimize those areas. But now that I've had it for a while I enjoy those areas - a visitor who was also a designer told me every room needs some sparkle and she was right.

• Briana Blakefield

Can you share a picture??

• felizlady

Keep looking at granite. It comes in many colorations and some granite is less “busy”. Go to a larger stone supplier for a wider selection. I love my granite perimeter counters. (The island has a butcherblock top.)

• eageree

We chose cherry cabinets as we like the look of wood. Kitchen is small but is bright because of LARGE window..

Lots of different pictures with "white" cabinets in this thread. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1313408/has-anyone-used-cambria-berwyn-i-can-only-find-one-picture#n=547

I can take better, close up picture of countertop if needed. - This is picture I had saved on computer

• tcronan40

The thing is granite is real. Quartz is fabricated. We went with granite in the kitchen. We have quartz in the bathrooms. We did walnut cabinets with snowfall granite. Similar colors to Luna Pearl but bigger pattern. Everyday I see a new mica spot that I didn’t notice before and it makes me smile. I don’t care if it’s too busy or will look out dated.

Color Zen

For sure the quartz, that granite look is on the dated side. There are some better granite options available with more white space. GL!

• tcronan40

Hers not a great pic of the Snowfall. It has more white space.

• Victoria

I've had granite and currently have quartz. Looks and pattern aside, quartz is anti-microbial. I love it much more than granite and think it's a smart investment in upgrading a hardworking element in your kitchen.

Granite over fake quartz every time. I have never designed a quartz counter top for a client . IMO real is the way to go and yes you can out a hot pot on granite but most of my clients use a trivet. I have no comment on the microbiality of fake versus real stone but IMO if that is your important issue then get wood it has an enzyme that actully kills bacteria . There are literally 1000s of real stone in a color more subltle than luna .Do not plan a backsplas until you have chosen and even installed the counter . If you google white and taupe granite you will see many that IMO are more attractive tha the quartz you like

• lucky998877

I get the choice of quartz if you are after a solid color, and don't want any movement, or want very close to pure white. But if you are looking at a quartz that has some of the same movement and colors that a natural stone, then why choose quartz? It will never look like the real thing...yet, you are looking at one that is trying to be the real thing? There are plenty of natural stones that are not the speckly granite from 20 years ago.