Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_189235121

Why is my cactus starting to grow leaves ?

I had this cactus for a year (I bought it last summer ) and at the middle of September it has started to grow leaves on the top . It's doing the same this year too
I would like some help to know if this is even a cactus or something else ( yes it has spines and also seem like it was used for a moon cactus ) it has a clear cut on top. I would really like some help

Comments (110)

  • 5 years ago

    Yes I meant these Kara, I wanted to be sure what to do with them, I'm also happy that it's a bloomer

  • 5 years ago

    I live very close to a mountain Rina so it gets cold during the nights

  • 5 years ago

    And also will I get seeds from it or not ? I really want to have a cactus from seed

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It will give you fruit, but tbh I don’t know if it needs to be crossed with a different Mammillaria elongata cv. Kopper King to get seeds which are good that will produce baby cactus for you.

    The fruit will look like pink little peppers.



  • 5 years ago

    We can only wait at this point , but thanks for saying

  • 5 years ago

    Hello again, today I saw that something might be going on with my moon cactus

  • 5 years ago

    The top is loosing color and getting a little bit softer on the bottom , it also looks like shriveling to me

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Teodora

    It is really best to post a photo anytime you have some problems - easier to give advice.

    Many ppl have similar experience with Moon cactus. There are 2 plants, top that has no chlorophyll (or very little of it) is grafted on different rootstock. From your description it sounds like it is rotting.

  • 5 years ago


    Here is how the bottom looks , it used to be a bright red color but it's now turning into orange/yellow but the green part is fine

  • 5 years ago

    It doesn't look bad on camera but it is

  • 5 years ago

    And I also saw something rn, the little ones growing on it are hanging on for dear life, if I tug they will be out

    Is it fine ? Or are they dying too ?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Yellowing is not a good sign. It is most likely rotting. It happens when plant is waterlogged from overwatering or bad drainage/water retaining soil. Same with darkening and softening of the base.

    Generally, young offsets growing on cacti could be rooted if healthy. BUT in this case, chances are very small since plant on top doesn't have chlorophyll, so it can not 'feed' and survive. So even if separated and rooted, if healthy, it is very likely it will not survive. Few ppl separated whole top plant and tried to grow it on its own roots, only some were/are successful. That is main reason for grafting it in a first place. Top plant is Gymnocalycium mihanovichii . You could find many of them that have chlorophyll and grow and bloom well o their own roots. There are few different plants used for rootstock, very often it is Hylocereus undatus.

    There are other reasons for grafting - plants that grow very slowly, but not these. Rootstock is a very vigorous plant, so it grows well and supplies 'food' to the colorful top. If both parts are rotting, there is a very slim chance of either surviving. Some ppl end up loosing the top and continue growing bottom/rootstock (the green plant). Personally, I wouldn't because it grows usually too big and spiney (depending on what is used for rootstock). But that is JMO, and it is up to a grower.

  • 5 years ago

    So if I take the top of now will it be okay ? Cause it's not so sunny

  • 5 years ago

    If there are rotting problems, neither may survive. Sun or no sun.

  • 5 years ago

    Well about the sun I asked will it be fine to do it now, cause I know that it needs sun to cure after the cut , but I'm not sure I'll be really able to wait anymore, and if I don't do it might be too late

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Nice plants Teodora, you are in great hands here. I am glad you are getting all this help with such kind people. Good luck. I am watching this thread.

  • 5 years ago

    cactus I have a little bit of experience with especially prickly pear

  • 5 years ago

    So today is the day I will remove the super long thing on my Opuntia

    And tommorow is the day to remove the top of my moon cactus, wish me luck

  • 5 years ago

    I'm still sad to do it but it must be done or both might die

  • 5 years ago

    that variety I know nothing about the one I know anything about is eastern compersa

  • 5 years ago

    I don't know much about it too to be honest

  • 5 years ago

    I would love to know if I can graft the top of my moon cactus to this one

    Or any other kind just in case I buy a new one

  • 5 years ago

    What is that? Looks like a holiday cactus...are the pads flat/thin? Could you post a better photo pls? If it is what I am suggesting, I do not think grafting would work. Plants used for grafting are listed here:

    Do you know how to graft?

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Teodora, I have a variegated Gymnocalycium mihanovichii (moon cactus) that was growing on its own roots (not grafted). One winter it did really badly, and lost all its roots, so I decided to try grafting the little round offsets growing on the side of it. I used Myrtillocactus geometrizans for the understock.

    Here they are right after I did it (spring 2018)

    I sliced cut the offsets off the original plant and cut the top of the understock plants. Then I simply placed the offsets on the base and taped them to keep them together. Some people use rubber bands for this, in fact you can see a rubber band on the 2nd one from the left.

    If you try this, make sure that after you cut the top off of the understock to the slice the sides down at a slight angle. There should be a flat area for the graft, with the edges sliced down somewhat. If you look closely at the above photo (especially the 2nd one from the left) you can see what I mean.

    Two of the four survived, and here they are today

    This is the only time I've tried grafting cactus. I'm thinking of trying to degraft one of them, but I don't know if I have the nerve to try it since they're doing well the way they are.

  • 5 years ago

    The Cactus you pictured as a possible understock looks like a Thanksgiving cactus to me. I don't think it would make a good understock for two reasons. First of all, it requires different care from the Gymnocalycium. Secondly I don't think there would be a large enough flat surface for the graft, and I don't know how you'd keep the two fastened together.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Totally agree with sld about using TC or any other holiday cactus for grafting. Rootstock needs to be a vigorous plant, and not all are suitable. IIRC, Acanthocereus is very easy and forgiving plant, and it and Hylocereus are fast growers. Myrtillocactus is very good too (it should have bit warmer temps than other 2).

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with Rina, but just want to mention that the graft might not last as long on Hylocereus. Moon cactus usually come grafted on Hylocereus, and are somewhat notorious for not living long. From what I gather, there are compatibility issues due to the fact that Hylocereus grows much much faster than the Gymnocalycium, and this causes the graft to fail in a few years.

  • 5 years ago

    sld

    Good info. I was not aware of that.

    Do you have any experience with getting different stock suitable plants? It may wary from area to area, I just wonder it you had any problems getting Myrtillocactus.

  • 5 years ago

    I happened to find small Myrtillocactus at a local greenhouse. I have seen them on occasion at big box stores, and I think they're pretty easy to find on line.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for all of that

    I wasn't sure myself if I want to graft it or not and I wanted to know if it will work

    A friend of mine tried it this way with the holiday cactus but her offset were smaller

    I guess this will be a goodbye for the top

    But overall thanks for the info,I needed it

  • 5 years ago

    the reason why it is producing leaves the nutrition must just right or no leaves would grow the leaf growth is just starting before flower blooms

  • 5 years ago

    We figured it out that is was a Euphorbia lactea and that's why it has leaves

  • 5 years ago

    Ok but it a lot of nutrition for leaf production

  • 5 years ago

    and that often before flowers appear

  • 5 years ago


    After six hours we are here, I guess tommorow will be done!

  • 5 years ago

    The red is soft so I'll be throwing it away but over all really thanks for the help

  • 5 years ago

    Hi, so today I got a few new beauties that need to be indentefied, I'm sure that they are not rare but I don't know their names yet

    So I would like some help

  • 5 years ago

    1

    2

    3

    And 4

    I'll be happy to know their names

  • 5 years ago

    #4 looks like Gymnocalycium mihanovichii or stenopleurum. #2 is aloe, not quite sure of sp but maybe Aloe claviflora (it should have spines down the middle of underside of leaves)? There are some others that look similar.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi guys again

    I have to ask what is going on with one of my cactuses

    It has been doing it for a while and I had it for 3 years now

    Please help me know what it is it doesn't seem like a root rot

    Only the tops are a little loose and are doing this

  • 5 years ago



  • 5 years ago

    The one that I cutted a few days ago isn't doing well too

    The top is soft and it's not stable at all

    The color is a little bit more yellow than before



  • 5 years ago

    The one that I cutted a few days ago isn't doing well too

    The top is soft and it's not stable at all

    The color is a little bit more yellow than before



  • 5 years ago

    How many times a week do you add water?

    It might be over watered.

  • 5 years ago

    For the first one or the second

    The first one hasn't been watered for over a week now

    The second one hasn't been watered for 4 days

  • 5 years ago

    Okay.

    Then it maybe fungus.

  • 5 years ago

    So today was it's last day I see now that maybe I thought that I'm not late when cutted the top but guess I was

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago



    Can someone tell me what is this and is it bad

    I've had this little guy for a week now and the spot was smaller

  • 5 years ago


    Here too

    The line is all around the cactus

    Is it from being close to the soil before ?

    I repothed it a little bit higher this time

    It doesn't go off with water or anything

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus