Software
Houzz Logo Print
carol_elliott55

Does a modern farmhouse have to have window grilles?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

like the views with no grilles. Or just the front of house with grilles? Wouldn’t affect side windows with floor plan.

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Define "modern farmhouse".

  • 6 years ago

    Similar to this

  • 6 years ago

    And casement windows

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    No house has to have grilles. Totally up to your wants and likes. Since you are going to use casements it really will not look like the inspiration anyway so I would do what you want. What Mark was getting at is there really is no official "modern farmhouse" architectural style, it is a contrived name that someone pulled out of his hat.............................

  • 6 years ago

    No grilles is totally fine!

  • 6 years ago

    You should not choose windows as though 1 from ColumnA, 1 from Column B, 3 from Column C, and 9 from Column D. Strive for design consistency in size and style, all the way around the house. If you deviate for a special window, it still should relate to the whole. It shouldn’t come out of left field. No peniswindows mixed with craftsman.



  • 6 years ago

    Yikes. This is front of house. Aren’t they consistent?

  • 6 years ago

    Lol! I had to read JuneKnow’s comment 3 times for it to sink in . . .

  • 6 years ago

    > No peniswindows mixed with craftsman.


    This begs the question, what DO you mix with peniswindows?

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Compare renderings of the house of the two alternatives drawn to the same degree of detail. See which one comes closest to the statement you want your house to make. Grills in windows add character to a house, but it may not be the character you want.

    "Modern Farmhouse" is many times any house with board and batten siding on it with no regard to windows, layout, massing, form, details, or other feature. There are no rule regarding "modern farmhouse" other than someone called it one. I owned a modern farmhouse that was built in 1955. It was a modern farmhouse because it was modern and it was where the farmer and his family lived on his farm.

    Carol Elliott thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @Mark Bischak, Architect, I understand your valid point and I agree that looking at the two alternatives side by side should be helpful to the OP.

    However, I am beginning to believe that it takes a trained eye to see if the windows selected support the statement the buyer wants to make with their home or not. How many times do we see a home with totally disparate elements posted by consumers here on Houzz and the poster has no idea that those elements conflict with one another? Many people building homes for the first, second or even third time don't appreciated the cohesiveness of style that an architect brings to the table (among other attributes). It's not their fault. One can't be an expert in all things...that's why a professional is needed. JMO.

    Carol Elliott thanked Denita
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have an architect. He said either would be fine... I feel the grilles make the house look “complete”. I just don’t like the look from the inside of house out. Lol. I may just do grilles in the front. I don’t have any areas in the front that also have windows on the side of the house making a room look silly inside. So many decisions...

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I wouldn't do grills on the front only. Whatever you do, you should be consistent.

    Grills are a more traditional look so it depends on what look you want.

    Here is a modern farmhouse with no grills:

    Modern English Farmhouse | Hillsboro, Oregon · More Info

    This one has grills:

    Farmhouse Exterior · More Info

    What is your preference?

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you. Do you have the front picture of house with no grilles?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Click on the "more information." This is not my house, I found it on Houzz.

  • 6 years ago

    Front pic and others are HERE.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    A house has two sides, the inside and the outside. If you have grills on one side of the house, have them on all sides of the house.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Mark. Just not a big fan of the view out from the inside of the house with the grilles but like how they look from the outside. 🙁

  • 6 years ago

    Diane Bier. Looks like the front of the house of house in question has grilles in front but not in back. Thank you for the picture. It is nice to see that way as well

  • 6 years ago

    Our build, which some might term "modern farmhouse," will not have any grilles, FWIW.

    It does have oodles of windows.

    And, it is on a farm :)

  • 6 years ago

    I've don't recall ever seeing a farmhouse with grilles, but it might be a regional thing. Why not get the windows with the removable grilles and you can remove them if you don't like them.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Vocabulary. The term is muntins. Even if spell checker doesn’t think so.


    This is a grill.



  • 6 years ago

    It is your house, do what you want. We redid a colonial on a farm. We have casements with grilles on three sides so it looks consistent from the street and no grilles on the back, where there is a fabulous pond, farm and wildlife view. I thought the inconsistency might bother me from the inside, but I don’t notice it at all.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    If you have double hung windows you have the option of having the top sash with and none in the bottom sash. A similar effect can be achieved with casement windows.