Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lula_fl

Is my Kitchen island too big?

Lula Fl
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

I DIY a kitchen island and now i think it is too big for the space. What do you think? Also, what type of bar stool should I get? The original bar stools I have may be contributing to the bulkiness of the kitchen island. . Should i keep just one cart or are the two fine?

This is a rental by the way.

Excuse the mess, we are in the middle of unpacking.

Update: added better pictures.

Comments (29)

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

"Too Big" only you can decide at this point. Can you open and use all your appliances and cupboards? When someone is sitting at the island counter can people walk behind them? If yes to all then it is fine. Safety first!!!

Lula Fl thanked arcy_gw
  • millworkman
    3 years ago

Much too big in the fact that you have no room to walk around it. Way to close to the stove for an island that size. Definitely out of proportion in my opinion.

Lula Fl thanked millworkman
  • Lula Fl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Should i just stick to one cart and cut the plywood down to where the second cart end? will that help?

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Can you move the big oven (not sure what that is) that's on the island to a more inconspicuous place in the kitchen or adjoining breakfast nook? That's what is making the island look so overwhelming to my eyes. I would then try the barstools on the side of the island across from the door.

• Monique Barrow
    3 years ago

I would not do an island at all. Even if you do one cart it still will be too close to the stove and ( I guess) front door.

What is over at the brick wall? You might have room there for a peninsula

• JuneKnow
    3 years ago

Unsafe. There isn’t room for people. Remove it immediately. Any rental inspection by the landlord and fire marshall would heave that fire safety issue into the yard, PDQ. Extension cords draped everywhere is why the NEC required outlets in islands. The too narrow aisle at the stove, trapping you if there’s a grease fire is why the NKBA specifies 42” aisle space as a minimum.

Lula Fl thanked JuneKnow
  • roarah
    3 years ago

One portable cart with a bit of over hang for backless stools that tuck under only across from sink wall not infront of the stove nor infront of fridge side might work.

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

Extension cords draped everywhere is why the NEC required outlets in islands.

There aren't any extension cords anywhere in that kitchen. You always add hyperbole that doesn't exist.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO more of a hinderance than a help . What is the oven thing on the island and yes that island is too big. IMO the only purpose it seems to serve is a place for 2 stools you have a dining table use it.

• JuneKnow
    3 years ago

So the uninsulated 450 degree exterior countertop toaster stove right next to the seating runs on invisible electricity?

• Lula Fl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I updated the pictures. The brick wall is the living room area. We need a sitting area.

• Lula Fl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do you think any of these countertop bar stools would help?

• User
    3 years ago

Some of you need to work on speaking nicer. Direct doesn’t have to be rude.

How much space is between counter and side? Looks like you can walk around just fine. Mine is only 36”. I know it’s not correct and a few people can get crowded but I’d rather have island top to work on than not. Six extra inches isn’t going to save me in a grease fire. I’d remove the stools though because they look too crowded there.

• Lula Fl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@User I can walk around it just fine. It's the bulkiness that I'm trying to minimize. Do you think any of the bar stools i posted above would help ?

• einportlandor
    3 years ago

I suspect if you cut down the width of the island top and leave just one stool on each end you'll be ok. While you're at it, maybe round off the corners a bit to minimize bruised hips.

P.S. Don't worry about Fire Marshal inspections. They don't regulate or inspect interior dwellings. Nor are they in the habit of throwing people's personal property into backyards.

Lula Fl thanked einportlandor
  • Lula Fl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting We don't have a space for a dining table. We wanted something functional that serves as an eating area, storage, and counter space.

• JuneKnow
    3 years ago

The stools are not at all the issue. A human being is a 30“ circle, taking up space, no matter if the stool is a tiny 14” perch, or a generous 21” upholstered seat. The island is too large for the space.

The architecture of the room is not designed to provide seating in the kitchen. Like many small apartments, a small 2 seat bistro between the kitchen and living area is all that it is meant to support. Or, eating in the living area, as many college students in efficiencies all over the world do.

Lula Fl thanked JuneKnow
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

I have a very tight area, too, for barstools, and yes, the backless ones really make a difference. None of us sits on them for very long, so we don’t miss having backs on them. I prefer padded seats, but that‘s just my own preference. We only have two, but they come in handy for extra seating.

Lula Fl thanked Jilly
  • auntthelma
    3 years ago

I like it and I think the diy is very clever. You needed a dining space and more counter space and You fixed the issues. What is on the non- kitchen side of the island? Maybe you can grab a few inches there? I don’t think it’s too big if it works for you.

Honestly, it’s a rental, you have to work with what you have. Good fix, in my opinion.

Lula Fl thanked auntthelma
  • Lula Fl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@roarah I think removing the second cart and letting that space be the overhang would work?

• User
    3 years ago

What is the overhang length? If you really want stools I’d try and get something without a back and not too bulky visually.

• olychick
    3 years ago

I think I'd love having an island that large in a rental with no dining space. You don't show the side of the room on the other side of the island, but I might scootch it away from the stove a bit. I'd rather have the extra few inches between the island and the counter in the work space and have the far walkway be a bit narrower.

Is the island square or a rectangle? Before you change the stools, if it's a rectangle, try turning it (if there is enough walking room on the far side) and have the chairs on the long sides (in the same place they are now, but with the island turned). That might reduce the bulky look, because they appear to be hanging out over the end of the counters now.

Do you need 4 chairs at the counter every day? If there is only one or two of you, you might just leave 2 at the island and bring out the other two when you have guests.

Or leave it as it is and try two stools on the hallway side with just one on each end where they are now. Smaller stools might help, but the ones you have look comfortable and inviting and like the white in your space.

Some people don't "know" how to be civil.

• mononhemeter
    3 years ago

Not a pro. I think it’s adorable and looks great in the space. However, the possibility of tipping, especially if children live there or visit, would concern me. I think a person leaning down or a child sitting on one of the ends could easily upset it, especially if the top is heavy. I personally hate aisles in my kitchen narrower than 48”, but if the aisle width doesn’t bother you, I wouldn’t worry about the size.

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

I think it looks fine as it is.

• Tara
    3 years ago

On my computer, there is nothing on the island except a plant and an empty vase. I see either a countertop oven or a microwave oven on top of a stainless steel thing, maybe a cabinet or possibly a small fridge. Of course it gets plugged in; they probably use the outlet to the left of it. I only see one island on my computer. I think this one is clever. But it may be a bit too big. Maybe only use one cart as the base. Backless stools definitely will take up less visual space. As for causing a panic if there is a fire.....well an island too close won't cause someone to panic if they're prone to those things. And if you keep a fire extinguisher on the cart...hey it's near.

Lula Fl thanked Tara
  • Fori
    3 years ago

I think it looks good and I like the stools with everything. If it's not in your way, it's not too big!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Now after you cleaned up and decluttered your kitchen an island looks good.

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    3 years ago

We think you have the right idea adding a kitchen island in. Below you will find a few different types of islands that might help you with your dilemma.

Tribeca Apartment With Roof Deck · More Info

Chloes Bloom New Build · More Info

Casual Classic Remodel · More Info