Software
Houzz Logo Print
keri_scarff

Wood burning fireplace update ideaS

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Would love to update this room, starting with the fireplace, then the flooring. Unfortunately TV has to be placed above. Dilemma.... get rid of brick, paint brick, what about hearth?



This room is across from the kitchen. Needs to complement each other.


Comments (16)

  • 6 years ago

    Change the flooring first and then see how the fireplace looks. I think it looks nice as is. The brick is nice.

  • 6 years ago

    Leave the brick.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Well are you planning on doing a gas insert or keeping the wood burning. If the TV is above what you show then it is way too high and I see a wall where the chirs are that a TV could easily go on . Post some pics of the whole space please IMo the biggest update would be to continue the wood flooring into the space . I like the brick BTW

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for your advice. We love a wood fire and have inserts in our other fireplaces, so we will keep wood burning fireplace. My main concern before changing the flooring...is the hearth. If I made any changes to the fireplace it could effect the flooring. Based on all your wonderful ideas and thinking about it, I think I will look into adding the same Swedish finish wood floor (and hope the process if less messy than in the past) and maybe look into adding a millwork mantel to tie in the shelving? About moving the TV...our kitchen is a step up from the family room and height is OK...we all are use to it. I too am not a fan of the TV being the center of attention....I would love to consider moving the TV..don’t tell the family! Here is a pic of the room in its entirety. Really appreciate the comments!😁

  • 6 years ago

    After flooring and fireplace...all new furniture, want cleaner and crisper lines. Cat, dog and kids have loved this room to death!

  • 6 years ago

    Keri, what if you had the brick professionally cleaned? Do you think it would make a difference for you? It looks like so many fireplaces where the fire has flared up just a bit too much at times.


  • 6 years ago

    Hi again Keri, My neck hurts just looking at the picture of your tv. What you might consider if there is enough room is getting a cabinet where the tv can be mounting inside and a remote brings it up into the open for view. I saw the construction of such a cabinet on youtube at one point but don't have the link. I have one that I bought used sitting in my garage but it has more cabinets with it and is fairly large. It's the same idea though.

  • 6 years ago

    So funny... I was just googling TV lift cabinets! I’ll let you know if I find one that is the right size and style! Really appreciate your input! Thank you!

  • 6 years ago

    I agree, that tv, is way too high. If you are going to put in a new floor, can you match the existing floors? Two different kinds of hardwood next to each other, wont look all that great.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Perhaps sharing some designs from our design portfolio will help? Note the fireplaces and flooring in each image.

    Altadena Farmhouse: Phase 2 · More Info


    La Canada Blvd Residence: Living Room · More Info


    Upscale Family Home: Living Room · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Our layout is similar. I agree that if you cannot match the wood floor your current carpet will look better. I like your brick colors. They go well with your furniture. We painted our fireplace white but our walls are dark.


  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! Beautiful rooms and inspiration! I am going to extend the exstisting flooring and will work up! :)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    For your room I will suggest painting the fireplace brick and all the walls the same color. This should (emphasis on should) unify the room while the painted brick should provide some texture without being obtrusive. The built-in cabinetry on either side is nice but not sure about the doors with glass on the left side. Btw, I love the shutter you have on the right side of the photo.

  • 6 years ago

    Flipped the room, a little less clutter, still waiting in flooring contractor.

  • 6 years ago

    No go with family on moving the TV!😆

  • 6 years ago

    The poor doggie lost his awesome window seat! :-)