Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Sad News regarding Okiedawn

Hello Everyone,

My name is Christopher Coyle and I am Okiedawn's (Dawn) son. I know that my mother was involved with this community and dearly loved interacting with you all. Unfortunately I have sad news to post today. On Wednesday, September 30, my mother passed away unexpectedly. I have posted the information on Facebook but I was afraid that some of you may not have been "friends" with her on there so my Dad wanted me to post to here if we were able to. My mother really enjoyed helping others and talking about gardening- and she would talk happily about you all quite a bit. I will post the service information below for everyone.

https://www.wattsfuneralhome.com/obituary/dawn-coyle

Respectfully,

Chris Coyle

*Mods* I am not sure that this is the correct place to post this information as I am not personally involved here, so please feel free to move or edit this as needed or required by your terms of service. I just wanted the people here whom she interacted with to understand why she would suddenly stop interacting with this wonderful community. **

Comments (38)

• dbarron
    3 years ago

This is very very very sad news indeed. May I ask if it was related to her recent cold? We shall certainly miss updates on her family (including yourself), over the years, it's felt like we know you.

• cooper8828
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. She will be greatly missed here as well.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

Chris, this is unbearably sad. Yes indeed, we all knew Tim and you and your family. I know all our hearts are breaking with yours.

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

I'm in tears. I'm so sorry.

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 years ago

Who’s up for meeting me at the service?

• Sandplum1
    3 years ago

Oh, Chris, I am so sorry. Praying for you, Tim, and all of Dawn's family and friends.

Carol Buchanan

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

I am in shock. My condolences to the whole family.

Moni

• luvncannin
    3 years ago

Bless you Chris and your family. Thank you for remembering us. We loved your mom and hung on her every word

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Love to you and your family, Chris.

we loved her so much here. She‘s the best and such a blessing to so many.. and will

be missed greatly.

There are no adequate words.

• jlhart76
    3 years ago

Dawn was one of the first ones to encourage me in gardening. She will be missed greatly.

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 years ago

I was just looking at my tray of ripening tomatoes, and thinking I wouldn’t have gotten nearly this far if not for her advice. I am going to go eat one for dinner in her honor.

• Megan Huntley
    3 years ago

I honestly cannot even process this. My deepest sympathy to your whole family.

• alexis munkres
    3 years ago

This is devastating news. I'm so sorry for your loss, Chris. I can't even wrap my brain around a firecracker so bright going out. She was my inspiration for starting to garden a decade ago. Oh my God. 😭😭😭

• leava
    3 years ago

so grieved she helped me so much. love to your family Chris thank you for letting us know

• Melissa
    3 years ago

I am at a loss for words and my heart has sank tonight. So sorry for your family's loss, Chris. She helped me through plenty of times. She will be greatly missed!!!

• shankins123
    3 years ago

Your mom was amazing....in her friendship, in her knowledge, in her spirit! I count myself so very fortunate to have known her for the last decade or so. Please accept and extend my condolences to you and your dad and know that the contributions she made to my life (and many, many others) will live on for years to come. This is such a shock to us all.

• Macmex
    3 years ago

I "met" Dawn in 2005 when we were just getting ready to move to Oklahoma from NJ. She invited me to this forum, where many of us enjoyed years of garden banter and sharing of experiences and information. Most would agree that Dawn was practically the embodiment of Oklahoma Gardening. I used to tease her that she was my "secretary," as she could find stuff I posted, even when I couldn't. I only met her the one time I went to a Spring Fling, back in 2008.

Tim and Chris, she always referred to you both with the highest of respect and love. I'm sure you already know this. We will be praying for you all.

I look forward to seeing her again, with our Lord, before the throne, by the river of life and under the tree of life, where, no doubt, there is also a garden...

“And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each [tree] yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him. They shall see His face, and His name shall be on their foreheads. There shall be no night there: They need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light. And they shall reign forever and ever.” Revelation 22:1-5

• HU-422368488
    3 years ago

I've followed Dawn for years on this forum . I was so impressed with her in depth knowledge of all aspects of gardening . My condolences . So Sorry.

HU

• Lynn Dollar
    3 years ago

This is really a shock, Dawn was an encyclopedia of gardening knowledge and helpful to everyone . This is very sad, my condolences.

• farmgardener
    3 years ago

Thank you for letting us know. Dawn was our inspiration and our mentor for everything garden wise. Our prayers for your family - she was so proud of all of you and cherished every moment with each of you.

• stockergal
    3 years ago

I did not know Dawn personally. but enjoyed and benefited from her endless life knowledge. She was always the first to share any information on any subject. I will miss her deeply. My prayers to her family at this difficult time.

• elkwc
    3 years ago

Chris I sent you, your Dad and family a message. I met your Mother on this forum. Shared many message, emails and seeds. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless.

• merrybookwyrm
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry. Dawn was amazing and kind.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 years ago

Yes indeed, merrybookwyrm.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

I was thinking about Dawn today when I was cleaning some henbit out of the garden, seeing the bees on it and remembering her saying that she left henbit for bees and other pollinators, I hate henbit, but left most of it for the bees.

• dbarron
    3 years ago

Eat your henbit Larry, it's nutritious and (to me) tastier than lettuce.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

I have never tried to eat it, I think it stinks and makes me itch, but you have sparked my interest, I think I will go get a small taste. If the deer find out it is edible, it will gone soon also................

Well Danny, you are a better man than I am. I picked about 2" stem of henbit and tried to eat it, chewed it up and had to spit it out. I picked a large arugula leaf and ate it to get the taste out of my mouth, now my mouth is burning. I grow the arugula for the kids, I normally don't eat it either. I am guessing that the arugula gets hotter when it gets older.

I went out into the pasture and picked up a cold frame that I had my helper build last year. I don't know how god it will be, but I will give it a try. I have been trying to teach my helper how to do a few thing, but he ls like most kids, driving something is more fun than anything else, and I think I was the same way.

Y,all will "black ball" me from this forum before spring. I dont have enough things to do, I dont have enough things that I CAN do. This forum is my only contact with the outside world.

• dbarron
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hmm, I find henbit not bad. Chickweed (the non hairy one) even better, dandelions fantastic. And I'm not even a light greens eater. Course because I'm not a greens eater, I generally wilt in with olive oil or use in a soup.

Umm, I only see live people when I go to the grocery store...

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 years ago

That was beautiful, Heather. . . as one of her new students and friends, I still felt like you. And more tears tonight. That's okay. She's worth every one of those tears.

• Kate OK USA (7b)
    3 years ago

I learned *SO MUCH* from Dawn and from this forum. Iused to read and post a lot but life is busy with little kids...then I logged in to find this sad news. :( I loved her almost devotional style of writing about what was happening in the season and in her garden.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 years ago

Christmas is approaching, and I am thinking of Dawn. How much her family must miss her. We all do, her larger family. To Tim, and Chris and Jana and kids. . . love to you all and God's blessings. I know Dawn is one of God's children.

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    3 years ago

Just seeing the sad news about Dawn. I only log on here every few months or so, so I missed the news in Oct. How unbelievably heartbreaking. My thoughts are with the family, especially now as the holidays approach. I never met Dawn, but I’ve learned as much from her about gardening as I have from anyone in the 13 years or or so I’ve been on here. I joined here in 2007 after buying our first house and Dawn was the first person to offer advice and encouragement. No matter what the question, you could expect a thoughtful and friendly response from Dawn. So many people will miss her. Such a kind soul..

• Melissa
    3 years ago

Man this holiday season has been hard on me!! I've been missing my dad and grandma to the max along with a few others including Dawn. It still doesn't seem like it should be reality.

Sending much love to her family!!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    3 years ago

I'm so very sorry to hear this.

I met her 2x at the spring flings! What a wonderful lady.

like the rest of you I always came to see what she was planting and questions she

was answering.

RIP Dawn.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I pulled up Week 4 of March 2020 yesterday and weren't we all so lucky to have had Dawn in our lives! I was so sad--but so admiring, once again, of her wonderful storehouse of garden information AND her great conversational skills.

And I cried, and cried. We all miss her so, I know. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and miss her. . . and I know that is true for all of here. Wanted you all to know how loved she was by so so many.

• karoliberty OKC zone 7a
    2 years ago

Oh, no, I am so sorry. Dawn was so influential to me personally as a sometimes-poster, longtime lurker. I am grateful I had the opportunity to meet her at a spring fling and talked about snakes. That year I brought a bunch of potted-up volunteer plants in red cups thinking that surely they were open-pollinated but instead was generally awkward and gave folks Sungold volunteers. The paperwhite and bearded iris I picked up that year have been separated over and over and now fill my yard in OKC.

Rest in peace and power, Dawn!

Thank you to everyone here on this list for your wonderful community and guidance.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting