Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris209_gw

Fertilizer Routine Questions

My roses were spectacular in the spring after lots of rain and feedings with rose tone, alfalfa tea and Alaska fish fertilizer. However they really petered out after the weather dried out and I began to slack with fertilizing. I want to do better next year and perhaps switch to granular fertilizers only to save my back. Trying to give them the suggested 5 gallons of water per week is tough so I'm also investigating expanding my drip system. Typically I do an application of rose tone in the spring. After reading the virtues of Osmocote Plus on another thread, I'm wondering if the 2 products can be applied at the same time? Or is that overkill? Also, I plan to get my soil tested, and if lime is needed, can that be applied at the same time as the other two? If yes, would once per month be good? Since time is always in short supply, hoping to maximize my efforts.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Comments (14)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Have you heard of the thing you attach to the drip system to fertilize? It does the work for you ! I don’t have one personally but just thought I’d mention it . I too really stink at keeping up the excitement after spring flush .

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

Of course the 2 can be applied at the same time. You will be happier if you do that.

• seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

In the spring I give all my roses Rose or Holly Tone and some kind of slow release fertilizer. I mix them together in a bucket and scoop some out and sprinkle it around the base of each rose and scratch it in. After that I use liquid foliar feeding the rest of the summer.

• sbrklyn_7bny
    3 years ago

I applied rose tone in the spring, then fish emulsion for summer. But fish emulsion takes a lot of work every week. For next year I am going to try monthly application of Mills Magic rose mix or Maxsea that others have recommended.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lily, I'll have to look into that, but I'm usually very skeptical of gadgets so we'll see haha. It definately gets hard to do the work as the days get hotter, and then I have to start giving the veggie garden more attention.

Okay sounds great! I love the idea of getting both done at once. Seil, what product do you use for foliar feeding? Is there anything else I should consider including in ny routine? I know a lot of people apply manure, but I don't have easy access.

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    3 years ago

Great tips here! @sbrklyn_7bny i wanted to try MaxSea too, since gracerose farm recommends but it’s so expensive! Have you found a source with a good price?

• seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

I like Spray n Grow and Bill's Perfect fertilizer but I will use any good well balanced one. When I need fertilizer I look for what ever seems best for the price at the time. Same thing with the slow release fertilizer. I've probably used all the major brands at one time or another. They all seem to work just fine.

• sbrklyn_7bny
    3 years ago

@CeresMer: yes it sure looks pricy, but supposedly one bush only needs a tbsp every month. I am still trying to figure out which one(s) to try. There is the general purpose 16-16-16, then there is the 6-20-20 for flowering plants which seems a bit low for nitrogen.

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    3 years ago

Oh good to know, I believe grace rose recommends the one with less nitrogen. Idk, I bought so many fertlizers this year lol. But got so hot in August I ended up not applying. Next year for sure!

• Glenn 9B Florida
    3 years ago

I'm in FL 9b and we have a very long growing season. I put down alfalfa meal in Feb, osmocote Plus in mid June and alfalfa meal again in Oct.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Does anyone put down epsom salt as part of their routine?

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

From the soil booklet that I got with my soil test, it states that magnesium def. is VERY RARE and occurs mainly in sandy soil. Magnesium is what makes clay clumps together. Magnesium is what makes my clay sticks tight to shoes & skin. My black clay was tested exceedingly high in magnesium. Magnesium as a chemical crystallizes upon exposure to air and hardens soil. Even potting soil (with brown peat moss) has plenty of magnesium. Leaves have plenty of magnesium. Magnesium clumps soil together and helps with moisture retention.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    3 years ago

The David Austin rose food that they sell on their website works really well - you just sprinkle it around the base of the plant (can also be used in containers). I tried it for the first time this year, and could really see a difference.