Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_496027775

Tape residue on bare wooden floor

5 years ago

Really hoping somebody has the answer this as I've been battling all day with it! I'm preparing my oak wood floor so I can oil/wax it. However, it previously had vinyl on it that was stuck down in places with double sided tape. I've removed the tape but it's left some gooey residue around the edges of where the tape was that simply will no budge!


I've tried:

- white spirit

- nail polish remover

- baking powder

- white vinegar

- sandpaper

- wire wool

- automotive tar remover

- automotive scratch remover

- soapy water


However, there is still residue there that I can't move.


Any ideas or help would be hugely appreciated.

Comments (10)

  • 5 years ago

    Have you tried WD40?

    HU-496027775 thanked krissie55
  • 5 years ago

    That was the one I missed of my never ending list. Yep, tried that too :-(

  • 5 years ago

    Goof off? Goo-be-gone?

    HU-496027775 thanked millworkman
  • 5 years ago

    Contractor's solvent or the citrus based type works, but can affect the wood finish. I used on vintage oak floors.

    Dab on lightly with cotton swab, wait for it to dissolve the residue, scrape off with plastic putty knife. Keep rag wet with a little detergent and wipe immediately. Repeat. It works but you have to be really really patient and careful. Also something called Motsenbacher's, at Ace Hardware. Not sure of spelling. Comes in a little can. Never tried on wood but very fast.

    Good luck.

    HU-496027775 thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    I've had tape residue on my vinyl (or whatever material from the 50s) kitchen counter after leaving really strong mailing tape on it for several days. What I found effective was rubbing it with cooking oil. The oil makes the glue less sticky and you just use some a rag (not paper towel pls) to rub it off. It does no damage to the wood at all. Everything you've tried so far I think is water based, so trying something oil based might work. Adhesives often are oil-based. Good luck!

    HU-496027775 thanked Ivy Wang
  • 5 years ago

    And just to add to the pain, anything CHEMICAL is going to cause ISSUES with refinishing. Remember: chemical contamination (aka..WD40, Goof Off, Goo Gone, Orange oil, etc) will prevent your floor from taking a finish. Hmmmmm. Not good.


    You really should be using a mechanical removal system (aka...low-grit sand paper...palm sander, chisel, etc). If you PHYSICALLY remove the glue (and some of the wood it is sitting on) you will NOT have an issue with refinishing.


    Besides, an OIL finish requires EXCEPTIONAL LEVELS of sanding. The very BEST sanding professional you can find = just good enough for oiled floors.


    How about a photo so we can see what you've got going on for wood and adhesive.

    HU-496027775 thanked SJ McCarthy
  • 5 years ago

    Mc Carthy is right....try denatured alcohol....but your best bet will be sandpaper....or perhaps a hair dryer to soften it, then scrape with a spatula and finally sandpaper.
    But WD40....goo gone, orange oil, goof off all will leave grease behind that will affect the finish you will put on next.


    HU-496027775 thanked lindac92
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    So what I've ended up doing is using a mix of a belt sander, orbital sander, mouse sander and then using a small wire brush gently (as gentle as you can be with a wire brush!) go with the grain as that was ultimately where most of the sticky stuff was. Now, by using the wire brush and alcohol you are being quite brutal but I didn't mind that and what I then did was use the belt sander to sand a few more rough areas into the wood so those areas where the tape were weren't as noticeable.

    Finally, I then used the orbital sander with a 150 grit disc so get a nice finish. Spending the forthcoming weekend oiling it with Osmo 3044.

  • 5 years ago

    Mineral spirits to get the tape residue and then denatured alcohol to clean off the mineral spirit residue.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio