Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosemarie_cuffy

Limoges Haviland Dinnerware

5 years ago

Anyone know the motif name of my grandmother's set? I have been eating from these my whole life. I loved looking at the sideboards as a child. There are even pieces from my great grandmother in a different pattern. Hmm, have to carve out some time to take a look at the set again.

Comments (30)

  • 5 years ago

    I would have thought it was one of the newer not real Haviland patterns....had you not shown the back!! I have never seen that sort of pattern with a mark like that. What does the script say? I can't read ti. Is it Dutch?
    And that fruit knife is lovely, by the way!

  • 5 years ago

    The script says "Decor de Jolanfe Patry-Bie", ie, "decorated by Jolanfe Patry-Bie".

  • 5 years ago

    hmm, I read it as “Solange Patry-Bié” 😆

  • 5 years ago

    Search replacements.com and you’ll should find the pattern there.

  • 5 years ago

    There actually is a Limoges-Havilland decorator called Jolanfe Patry-Bie.

  • 5 years ago

    I just didn’t look closely enough and “defaulted” to a familiar French name!

  • 5 years ago

    I believe that if they are not the same person Solange Patry-Bie was a French artist from the 1920s. I only found one mention using Jolanfe but several using Solange. Interesting side note is that when I tried to see if the two names were the same just different countries spelling as sometimes happens I found that Jolanfe apparently has Welsh history.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for that, I used that setting for the recent Thanksgiving and had steak. I emailed a free service that looks up from over 20,000 patterns available your specific pattern, it's Havillandcollectors.com

  • 5 years ago

    One thing that I find curious are the Haviland France and Haviland Limoges backmarks on the same item. Haviland France according the collectors site was used 1946-1962, Mark Q, Theodore Haviland but no back mark that has just Limoges under the arched Haviland. There is a mark showing both France and Limoges under the Haviland but not just Limoges. It may turn out to be a pirated mark.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It has a very distinct (I think) mid-century look about it. It reminds me of my grandparents’ china pattern, Noritake “Brewster.”

  • 5 years ago

    The shape is very Noritake rather than any of the Haviland"s. I hope once the OP has had it identified through the Haviland Collectors they will return with what the name is.

  • 5 years ago

    Interesting thread. I have my grandmother’s china. Mine also says Haviland Limoges and Haviland France.

  • 5 years ago

    the OP's plates are very "un Haviland" looking. At least not like any Haviland china i have seen....neither David nor Chas Field nor Theodore.
    Very curious to what it indeed is. Hope the OP reports back.

  • 5 years ago

    @maifleur ah of course, I neglected to pay attention to the “Co”. Thanks for the link!

  • 5 years ago

    Quick google provides examples of this designer and similar mark though: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Plates-Dessert-Porcelain-Limoges-Theodore-Haviland-Solange-Patry-Bie-/202816960775


    The colors and especially the art style are midcenturyish, but seem standard for this artist (the colors less so). It is a unique style for the period I suspect!

    Here is another:


    (Different mark though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HAVILANDS-PAISLEY-BREAD-DESSERT-PLATE-PINK-GRAY-FLORALS-PATRY-BIE-LIMOGES-/401224813248)

  • 5 years ago

    There are even pieces from my great grandmother in a different pattern.

    @Rosemarie Cuffy: Would you mind sharing some of those with us? I’m becoming a bit of a china addict—I mean collector😬—so this is fun for me.


    There actually is a Limoges-Havilland decorator called Jolanfe Patry-Bie.

    @colleenoz: I haven’t been able to find (through a cursory search, at least) any information on this decorator. Would you mind telling us more about her? Thanks!




  • 5 years ago

    Very on point. My grandparents were major Mid-Century Mod fans.

  • 5 years ago

    @sammy There aren't many pieces of this left. At one point I think pieces were stored in a garage/cold storage. Def this collection feeds my interest in fine china. Enjoy!

  • 5 years ago

    The thing I think is "odd" about the first china in question, is the blank....the shape of the piece, and the glazed foot as opposed to the dry foot on the Chas Field platter.


  • 5 years ago

    The Havilland expert replied and told me that the pattern with the blue flowers and wheat is an aftermarket designer who would have hired an artist to either hand paint or do a decal design. It became popular to have plain white porcelain decorated. There is little value to these designs since (what I'm guessing is) it's not a catalogue item....off book sort a speak. The name of the pattern isn't traceable and according to Arthur R. Stees, the value is on the lower end for the brand.

  • 5 years ago

    Did the expert give any time frame for it to have been done? The suggestion of being popular to have plain white porcelain painted suggests that it is much older than what it or the design appears.

  • 5 years ago

    If you google it, there is a reference to the designer/artist in a book about carpets. Active in the 1920s.

    This is not at all like the blanks my great aunt decorated!

  • 5 years ago

    @maifleur03 late 1800's to early 1900's, the trend must have gone on for years as my grandparents bought in the late 40's.

  • 5 years ago

    I have a problem with that age because of the shape of the blank.

  • 5 years ago

    Agreed....that shape was lots later than late 19th Century to early 20th.

  • 5 years ago

    This from the expert about the platter.

    The pattern is cataloged as H93. Solange Patry-Bié did a number of patterns for Haviland, post WWII. One such pattern is Blue Bells. (this description of Blue Bells seems like he's talking about my grandmother's pattern which he already replied about).
    The platter looks like CFH144. 144 also has a chain of laurel leaves at the verge. The platter does not have that additional decoration, but would still qualify it as 144 in my estimation.

  • 5 years ago

    In that case you have either miss typed something or the "expert" did. If it was done by Solange Patry-Bie it is not from the 1800s to early 1900s especially if it was done post WWII. The benchmark for Theo Haviland with the France under Haviland was used between 1946 and 1962. There was a combined one with both France and Limoges underneath was done in 1962. Either of which would make it mid century.

    This has made for an interesting change of pace.

  • 5 years ago

    The Haviland china began production in 1840. Over a long run, the company produced an estimate 20,000 designs. At one point in its history, the company split and an agreement was made about markings. Later, the company was put back together. Before 1926, most patterns were not named. This makes for lot of detective work to place a date on a particular design. Throughout the early years, the company procured blanks from one factory and decorated and glazed the pieces elsewhere. The decorations were hand painted by local artisans and finish glazed. Some sets were offered in 2 versions, one with gold gilt edging and the other, without.

    Some pieces carry two marks, one for the blank and a second for the decoration. Some may have the first mark under the glaze with the second mark on top of the glaze.

    The company was the first one to use decals and this is a clue one can use. (I don't have a date for this.) I acquired a set of Haviland plates, saucers, and cups plus 2 platters last year and I was able to detect my pieces were hand painted. Variations can be found between like pieces of the hand painted ones. Decal decorated pieces will be very consistent from piece to piece.

    Also, earlier pieces tend toward light ( sometimes faint) pastel colors whereas later ones are darker and more saturated.


    https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/haviland-limoges-148574


  • 4 years ago

    I have similar


    D