Software
Houzz Logo Print
ncgirl317

Chandelier in My Family Room? Seeking Advice!

5 years ago

We put a ceiling fan in our family room but never use it. Would a chandelier look better in there? If so, what style and finish? Open space with 9' ceilings, so I'll include pics of our kitchen and breakfast as well. Thanks!!!

Comments (25)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I have a chandelier over my coffee table that I love and it provides lovely ambient lighting. Consider your other lighting in this open space when selecting.







    Because it’s over the table, go with a longer style vs a semi flush and it will be more impactful.

    Lori thanked Maureen
  • 5 years ago

    Ceiling light in family room doesn't do anyone any favors. Much better is a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height.

  • PRO
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you, Beverly! Can I use a black finish or do I need to stick to the nickel since I have it near the breakfast and kitchen lights?

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I would not do nickel. It will fade into the ceiling, however, you don't need to do black either. Just select something that works with the finishes in the LR.

    Even a jute-wrapped chandelier could work.


    Lori thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 5 years ago

    Lori, your room is beautiful. I have been searching for a sofa style like yours. i love all the details of it. Can you tell me the brand?

    Lori thanked Kathy
  • 5 years ago

    I'n glad you asked about the sofa, Kathy, because I am wondering, too!!! And as long as we're asking, I'm curious about the rug, as well. What a beautiful home you have!!!

    Lori thanked bac717
  • 5 years ago

    Hi Kathy and bac717, The english arm (or roll arm) sofa are made by CR Laine, but looks identical to a Bernhardt sofa we had in our last house that I liked just as much but was a bit cheaper. I am fortunate to live within 2 hours of Hickory and High Point, NC so prices here are great and don't break the bank! The rug is from Green Front Furniture, they have a store in Raleigh, NC and also Farmville, VA. If you ever get a chance, the stores in Farmville are great and it's a beautiful little town. Let me know if you want more specific information on any of it, I'm happy to share!

  • 5 years ago

    Beverly,

    Thank you for taking the time to post ideas for me, I've been eyeing one of the chandeliers you suggested for a few weeks now, so that was incredibly helpful. If you or anyone else has any other suggestions for the room, please let me know!

  • 5 years ago

    Lori, thank you so much for the info. I can check a furniture store near me to see if they carry that line. FarmVille sounds like fun and maybe we can plan a destination trip sometime. We went to The furniture gallery and High Point years ago and it was fun and sooooo overwhelming. It would be nice to live so close and do more often and more specific.





  • 5 years ago

    Lori, thanks for all the info. I was just out today looking at sofas and one of the companies carried in the store I was in is CR Laine! How ironic! I'm nowhere near NC and VA, but do have access to a number of large furniture stores. I've heard of Farmville because our best friends have a son who attended Longwood University there.

  • 5 years ago

    Lori, lovely home. Would you provide specific information about the rug in the family room? It provides such nice texture, yet very neutral. Thank you.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Donna,

    The rug in the family room was from Greenfront Furniture. Unfortunately, I don't know who made it or what it is called. It was in stock there and as soon as they opened it up for us, I had them roll it right back up and took it with me! I'm sorry I do not know more, only that it was wool and exactly what I wanted with a trellis design. I did look at the back of the rug, but no labels like my other rugs.

  • 5 years ago

    Just wanted to say your room is so pretty!

    Lori thanked Cindy Warren Fialka
  • 5 years ago

    All those photos look perfect to me; so I don't have anything to add but I will jump in with a question. What color is the wall paint? Thanks!

    Lori thanked Apple JT
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Late to the party but I was going to suggest the one Beverly first suggested. It is elegant and creates just the right look. Black is best IMO because it repeats the art and black cabinet and other dark tones. Your room is beautiful and this is final touches. I would lower the art over the black cabinet about 2-3”. 😊

    Lori thanked Flo Mangan
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you, Flo! I've ordered the light, or maybe it's just very similar to it, so I'm anxious to see it up in the room.


    Unfortunately, I can't hang the art over the cabinet any lower, there is a row of light switches right under it. Only thing I can do is move that wreath and whatever you call that piece I attached it to, to somewhere else and find another piece of art that doesn't have the height. Love the suggestions, please let me know if you have more for me.

  • 5 years ago

    Apple JT, wall color is very similar to Pale Oak. I am very embarrassed to say what I did, but I had several gallons of colors that were incredibly similar shades and same brand/sheen so I threw them all together in a 5 gallon pail. I did it based off of budget, or rather a lack of a budget. I got 5 gallons of paint out of it and I'm blessed that I love the mutt color! My Color Muse reads it as Pale Oak.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Hilarious and adventurous! It worked! I will look further later today but beautiful home.

  • 5 years ago

    I think that in your particular case, a chandelier will not be the best option. You have white walls and plenty of space, but the dining room already has light, so I would suggest something more modern and not a chandelier, the chandelier looks good on high ceilings and large rooms, I quickly took a look at Amazon. you can check: https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Semi-Flush-Pendant-Lampshade-Bedroom/dp/B07MSFP8SF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=EHRER6T3BFZW&dchild=1&keywords=pendant+light+for+living+room&qid=1603746480&sprefix=pendant+light+for+li%2Caps%2C339&sr=8-5



    By the way, you have good enough taste, my wife decided to go to a blogger and started blogging about lighting , just the first post about lighting in the dining room, although in my opinion it is not entirely successful, women consider feelings more than a rational approach, but in any case I will be glad if you look.

    Lori thanked Jon Bays
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Just playing with some ideas for above your black cabinet. Convex mirrors from Ballard Designs. A green glass vase with branches and a stack of books.

    Lori thanked Flo Mangan
  • 5 years ago

    I have a mirror in the room on the wall next to the railing, would that be too many mirrors in the same room if I put some over the black cabinet? I'll attach pics of that corner with the existing mirror.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Hi Lori,


    You have a great space. Ever consider Glass lighting. All our products are completely customizable and we offer FREE DESIGN SERVICES so you can definitely give suggestions and measure everything out for you. Below are some ideas that would bring not only light into your space but some positive energy as well.


    Let us know how we can help. www.galileelighting.com | 305-807-8711





    Lori thanked Galilee Lighting
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz