Software
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Linen drapes that are cheaper than RH?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Any suggestions for 100” wide ivory-colored linen drapes that don’t cost a fortune?

I recently ordered some PB Emery drapes. They are nice but I’m not thrilled with the loose weave (the samples in the stores vary. Some of the Emery samples have a tighter weave, some looser.) I have their Peyton in another room in oatmeal and am happy with that but that style is discontinued.

i saw some nice ones at RH (washed Belgian flax linen) but those are $$$.

I’ve been googling for other sources but not many come in 100” wide.

FWIW I have a 1940 bungalow and I want them to work with the rod and rings i have. (The curtain hook slips into the ring).

thanks in advance for any leads.

Comments (40)

  • 5 years ago

    If you like the Belgian flax linen from RH, have you tried the Belgian flax linen from PB? I have them in my bedroom (though my personal preference is for the Emery panels in my living room).

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for the suggestion. Is this the one you mean?

    https://www.potterybarn.com/products/belgian-linen-drape-ivory/


    I saw those in the store today and yes, I prefer that weave. Unfortunately it does not come in the 100” width. Also, I was looking for a cotton lining. This one comes either unlined or with a grey blackout liner. Since the drape is so light in color the blackout liner kind of casts a grey tinge to the drape.


    FWIW, I also looked at their Seaton. Not linen and a chunky weave, so not sure how that will work. It comes in 100“ but not an off-white.


    Are you using the Emery in the LR? What color? The weave looked better in different colors. I also noticed that the Emery rod pocket on display has a smoother weave while the Emergy grommet-top had a looser weave, like the one I have at home. I was working with a sale associate who saw that too. I was beginning to wonder if I was imagining things. LOL.


  • 5 years ago

    I needed a 100” in the Belgian linen so I had a seamstress sew two panels together (I always have the panels hemmed anyway, so it wasn’t much more). I have the Emery in white. For whatever reason, the white on the Emery panels is more off-white than some of the others. The ivory was too yellow for me. I have the rod pocket Emery, but I use the drapery hooks and have them hung on rings. Super happy with them; they look very high quality. I’m posting a photo of the Emery - unfortunately I don’t have a photo showing the rod. I posted a photo of the same rods/rings in my dining room with the PB Riviera stripe panel.

    girl_wonder thanked Ephma
  • 5 years ago

    Check out Half Price Drapes. Always look for a coupon code online before ordering too.

    girl_wonder thanked Sharon
  • 5 years ago

    I just received MTO Belgian flax linen from West Elm - they were having a 50% off sale. Mine are 180” x 100” (each panel) and were $730 for 2. I did IKEA for several years initially and had to sew together so many panels to cover the large span. Decided to upgrade when new windows were installed. The WE linen is much more substantial and less sheer. If you can catch a promo it’s worth the wait.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    IMO the width is acheived by getting more panels and sewing them together . How big is your window?

  • 5 years ago

    The large window, with 4” trim on each side, is 94” wide, so 7’ 10.” The last time I called (a few years ago) the cost of a seamstress was a bit $$$, so here it made me think if I’m going that route, it would make sense to just order the RH drapes in the size I need. (?)

  • 5 years ago

    @Missy P are the West Elm curtains still on the website? I could not find them. If so, could you share the link??? Thanks.


    When I looked there earlier, none were 100” wide except for custom. The custom ones are either unlined or have blackout fabric (having seen the PB blackout influence the color, I’m a little leery or ordering custom Blackout, sight, unseen). FWIW, West Elm does not stock any curtains in my local store. So I definitely don’t want to order custom without having seen them. Plus once you get to the price of custom, it’s around the same at the stock RH that I like.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Do you sew at all? I normally sew my own curtains and have used these folks with good results. I dyed the linen for shibori curtains in my son's room:

    https://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/linen-fabrics.html

  • 5 years ago

    Yes, I ordered custom. They are not lined. See if this link works. I’ve also seen some Etsy vendors who make custom linen drapes.

    https://www.westelm.com/products/belgian-linen-curtain-natural-t1789/

    girl_wonder thanked Missy P
  • 5 years ago

    Hi, does it need to be exactly 100” wide? Williams-Sonoma has Ivory Belgian Linen drapes on Sale in 2 sizes - 96” and 124”

  • 5 years ago

    @kiffkat thanks for sharing that. I got excited. But Those numbers are actually the length. And since they are clearance, they are not returnable. :(. Since these PB drapes don’t look like I expected, I‘d love the option to return if needed. Thanks for trying though. They look great.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi girl_wonder, I completely understand. Depending where you’re located, there may be an actual brick and mortar Williams-Sonoma store in your area and you could see them in person. Just to clarify- is it the 96” wide that you currently have?

    girl_wonder thanked kiffkat
  • 5 years ago

    I’m flexible on the width but near approx 100” wide (What I currently have).. Those W-S ones are like 54” wide and either 96” or 124” Long. Plus even if they look perfect in the store, I’d still like the option to try them in my house and return if I don’t love them. Thanks!

  • 5 years ago

    Target has nice, heavy drapes that hang well and look good. And cheap.

  • 5 years ago

    @Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 do you have a specific one at Target that you’d recommend? I looked again just now and even if I give up the idea of 100” wide, there seems to be something that’s not quite right. (doesn’t appear that many have a privacy lininng—they seem to mostly either be sheer or blackout; also. Not many are compatible with ring tops). A lot are polyester; I’m hoping for linen or cotton.. I tried one polyester one for the guest room from BBB and the fabric seems slippery. Maybe another poly is ok??? Don’t know.

  • 5 years ago

    Shoot wait...my WE linen are cotton lined. Need more coffee!

  • 5 years ago

    Just threw a panel up so you could get a visual

    girl_wonder thanked Missy P
  • 5 years ago

    Sling one panel up so you could get a visual.

  • 5 years ago

    @Missy P thanks. Those look good. I am still leery of ordering anything I can’t return. I‘d love to see it in my house. Maybe I can borrow yours for a couple of days, lol! ;) thanks for your help.

  • 5 years ago

    I have the West Elm Belgian Flax Linen drapes and yes, they are cotton lined even though they are listed as "unlined".


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Well I have the threshold blackout curtains in off-white from Target 84x53 or something like that and they have three layers are completely dense and have a nice heft and weight. They are polyester but they have a linen look.I'm happy with them and they are roughly about $25 or less per panel.

    here they are recently installed with Pottery Barn hardware but I haven't steamed out the wrinkles yet.


    girl_wonder thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • 5 years ago

    I'm trying to attach a photo, not cooperating

    girl_wonder thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • 5 years ago

    @Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 thanks for this extra info. Looking forward to the pic. Do you happen to remember which style they were? Tons of curtains at Target. Thanks

  • 5 years ago

    Also I forgot to mention that though the PB Belgian Linen might say “unlined” mine have a white cotton lining.

  • 5 years ago

    Threshold blackout linen look I believe


  • 5 years ago

    They still need some fiddling but they are very heavy and nice for the price. I have them over two windows in my bedroom too. Tons of high reviews.

  • 5 years ago

    Check eBay, there are MANY PB linen drapes listed there. Here's one that may work for you - Pottery Barn Emery Linen Doublewide Drape Cotton Lined 100 x 108" Ivory #4215

    The listing says they're new, price is $198.09 and shipping is only $1.99 from Ohio.

  • 5 years ago

    Aruba Blackout Curtain Panels - Threshold

  • 5 years ago

    Looks like it's only one panel on that Ebay listing, so if you need two, you may have a problem.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 thanks for posting the picture. How did you attach the rings? Is there also space for a hook on the back tabs? I think I may order some and see how they look. Thanks!


    @Ephma interesting that yours have a lining. I was in the store yesterday and the samples either did not have any lining or had a heavy grey colored blackout lining. I wonder why these items vary so much??? What’s up, PB?


    Thanks everyone for the eBay listings but I’d like something that is easy to return, if needed. I need a total of two 100” wide plus one 50”wide for the side window.

  • 5 years ago

    There's a place to attach hooks and you just slide them into the material. I placed half a wine cork,maybe a third on the back of each hook to prevent the hook from jumping off the ring.

    A few of my hooks need to be adjusted which is what I need to fiddle with to get everything perfectly even.

    girl_wonder thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • 5 years ago

    Interesting! I bought mine in February; maybe they’ve changed? But they are listed with the same photos.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Check Etsy for Linen drapes. I was surprised at the pricing.

  • 5 years ago

    Try Loftcurtains.com. Lots of choices and I just saw a friend's drapes from them and they are very nice - very well made. After requesting fabric samples, I plan to order their Belgian Linen ripplefold drapes for our 24ft of sliding glass doors.

    girl_wonder thanked lmp1959
  • 5 years ago

    @Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 thanks again for the suggestion on those ones from Target. They arrived and the weight is nice and they seem like they would lay nice. However, the blackout lining caused the color to be more of a taupe than an ivory that I’d like. So thanks for the idea.


    I found some on the BBB website, Valeron, and have ordered some that should arrive by this weekend. I’ll report back if it helps. BTW, BBB does price matching so I was able to get them cheaper than what is listed on their site.

  • 3 years ago

    Ephma I know this is an old discussion, but I'm researching curtains, and saw a picture of your dining room. It's beautiful!!! Could you share the wall color, above the wainscoting? Also, where did you find the chairs?

  • 3 years ago

    girl_wonder Hi! I know this is an old discussion. Just wondering what you ended up buying, and whether you like them? I'm shopping for curtains right now. Hard to find quality these days. Especially for a reasonable price.