Software
Houzz Logo Print
becky22546

Samsung French Door Refrigerator with auto fill water pitcher?

5 years ago

I’m still looking for a refrigerator to replace my 18 month old KitchenAid. Today I saw a Samsung with an auto fill water pitcher in lieu of a water dispenser. It looks appealing, but I’m wondering if there are any downsides to this. Does anyone have any experience with the auto fill pitchers? Here is a link to it. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-28-cu-ft-large-capacity-3-door-french-door-refrigerator-with-autofill-water-pitcher-stainless-steel/6417768.p?skuId=6417768

Comments (11)

  • 5 years ago

    @Aglitter, I too have seen mixed reviews on Samsung, but lately I’ve seen mixed reviews on most all brands within my budget. ;) We got one of the higher priced KitchenAids in March 2019 and around 15 months we started having issues with it maintaining temperatures. We woke several mornings to a defrosted freezer and melted ices box which resulted in all the ice water leaking to the floor via the door dispenser. I’ve since decided I don’t want an ice dispenser. Due to the hassle we’ve had with KichenAid quality & the Whirlpool customer service with our extended warranty (filed claim early July & it is still not fixed, nor have they given us our $), I’ve ruled out all Whirlpool brands. When I eliminate KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana & JennAir there is not much left in my price range. I am considering Bosch, but I live in a rural area and rely mostly on big box stores to view the models. I’ve only found one Bosch and it is counter depth. I’m still looking though. We really want full size since we are a family of 5 and in a rural area. We do have a local Ferguson store, but last I checked they mostly had the high end appliances on display. I’m still trying to find some LG & GE models on display too.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Would a Thermador be in your budget? I would seriously not want a Samsung if you've already had headaches with another brand. This is spoken from just reviewing a number of different refrigerator threads here at Houzz lately where people have complained about that brand. They make great products in other categories; it seems just the refrigerators haven't performed well as of late. I'd almost go with an LG or GE over a Samsung based on what I've read.

    Becky thanked Aglitter
  • 5 years ago

    @Aglitter, I wish! If Thermador was in my budget, I’d just get a refrigerator column with no freezer. We have a deep freeze in the pantry and I’ve found we don’t really use the bottom freezer for much. Sadly they don’t fit within our budget or space constraint since our upper cabinets are around 75” high. Our budget is closer to $2000 this go round.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    That 75" height is definitely going to limit you since a lot of the built-ins start around 80". It's too bad the KitchenAid didn't work out. I like their styling a lot and can understand why you would have gone with them. If you've just been looking online thus far, a trip out to an appliance retailer might be helpful at this point. I realize a lot of in-person shopping has come to a stark halt during the pandemic. You might try Nebraska Furniture Mart online if you don't have a good appliance store near you. They have a wide array of different options. If Samsung is the only thing that works for your space, go ahead and take the plunge, but try to read up a little on Samsung in other recent posts here at Houzz before you do to try to find someone who has had a good experience with them and perhaps a particular model that might have some sort of durability edge.

    Becky thanked Aglitter
  • 5 years ago

    We have the model with the auto fill pitcher. It is awful- it leaks from the front-poor design. I have seen tons of people complain about it in the samsung community group- even their replacement pitchers leak. I will never buy another Samsung product again. We have all new Samsung appliances and we are having issues with them all. The dishwasher, the microwave...good luck


    Becky thanked mezsmiles
  • 5 years ago

    @mezsmiles, thanks for the info. I hope Samsung has this issue resolved because I already purchased the fridge. It was delivered a couple of weeks ago. It is still VERY early, but so far I haven't had any issues with leaking. This fridge looks a lot better than the more expensive KitchenAID in my kitchen and I love the amount of room in the fridge now that the ice maker is in the freezer drawer! Based on what I've read, it seems ALL the refrigerators these days have mixed reviews (@ least those priced < $4k). I purchased the Samsung from Costco. They double the manufacture's warranty plus I purchased an extended 3 yr warranty on top of that. This warranty is supposed to be a repair or replace with new; hopefully, I'm covered if it does start leaking. KitchenAid only reimbursed us 75% of the cost excluding taxes & shipping costs.

  • 5 years ago

    I’d steer you away from the autofill feature. It’s very neat when it works but ours only worked perfectly for six months. Then I had jiggle the container each time I replaced in order to have it refill. Eventually it stopped refilling and the out-of-warranty service is $600.

  • 4 years ago

    Samsung now offeres a 4 door flex fridge. You can have 1 freezer section and 3 refrigerator sections. The new Bespoke line is amazingly customizable. Personally, I adore Samsung. Samsungs I currently own: 2 phones, tablet, laptop, washer, dryer, fridge, 2  TVs, mp3 player (first ever touch screen, it's old). I had one problem with the fridge which was leaking when the water drain froze over. But they had a fox for that, and now it's fine. I'm preparing to buy a new Bespoke fridge, vacuum, robotic, stove and the Frame TV.  They currently have their 3 year extended warranty on sale for $1 when you buy an appliance.

  • 4 years ago

    Just found this while searching ”water pitcher won’t refill”. We have also had intermittent issues with our pitcher, but I love it so much I’m willing to let them slide. The MUCH bigger issue is the ice maker, which has been subject to class action law suits for its terrible performance: freezing up, getting the drawer stuck, etc. We had ours fixed once under warranty and now it’s back to its old tricks again. I’ll never buy another Samsung refrigerator but I really hope someone else adds the pitcher!!

  • 4 years ago

    Cindy, did you buy the Samsung Bespoke French door refrigerator? And if so how do you like it, problems etc? Would really love some feedback on the Bespoke particular models with the beverage center in the door and ice maker inside the freezer? Are these models still having issues?