Software
Houzz Logo Print
norgen

help choosing a sconce

5 years ago

i am going to replace the four sconces I have in these two rooms. The blue tape in the sitting room is where a large window is going in. I want to move toward a modern style. on the left of the picture of the dining room is a fireplace where I am putting in a 3" thick black walnut mantle. My ceilings are not high. They are whatever the lowest regulation height is.


i was looking at sconces in WORLEYSLIGHTING.com. I like the Blue Ridge, Stem Globe and Link Sconce to give you a rough idea.


Any suggestions would be welcome.






Comments (14)

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Why would you place sconces next to the windows? That combination makes no sense to me especially if you have to consider window treatments.

    Also, think about the quality of the light from the sconces and what you hope to achieve in lighting the room.

    Why not look at the sconces offered by Restoration Hardware?







  • 5 years ago

    The reason I would put it near the windows is that I need more light. THe can ceiling lights are not enough. Lamps would interfere more with the windows and window treatment. The window treatment will still leave me about 2' on either side of the windows for the sconces. I like the restorations hardware examples you sent. Particularly the one with the clear globe.

  • 5 years ago

    Your sconces over your lamp/table beside the sofa seem unnecessary. Would choose a pair of matching tables and matching tall thin lamps with large white shades and consider not replacing the sconces there -- tape the wires and cover both with a square box shelf with a back board;


    however, if you prefer to replace these two sconces, then, for these two sconces and


    For the other two sconces, have them all four match -- and do choose box sconces so that you are not looking directly into a light bulb -- a box with the light shining either up or down or both, preferably a white box.


    https://www.google.com/search?q=box%20sconces&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CRjXGy1hPe7hYXFs67ErgLeD&client=firefox-b-1-d&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CAIQrnZqFwoTCICBkdexwewCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ&biw=1349&bih=654.

  • 5 years ago

    ok, I guess I will rethink sconces near the window in the sitting room. Sometimes you just get attached to an idea, those scones have always been there, so I wasn't thinking of not having them. I will consider reconsidering that. Now you and Beverley suggested the same thing. If I stick with 4, I will definitely do all 4 the same.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    If you do not replace the sconces, you will have wiring to deal with. Replacing all four of them with the same visually neutral white box sconces could actually be the more cost efficient and practical idea as it keeps your options open -- always a good idea: what if some time you or the next home owner wanted a sectional or just a longer sofa with lighting over that part of it or what if you want to use the sconces for mood lighting or specifically adding more bright light.

    What makes no sense to me is having an eye-catching light fixture -- emphasis on eye-catching fixture -- directly over a lamp.

    Do pay close attention to the kind of bulb that is t be used and what kind of lighting it will provide as you choose your box sconce -- or whatever other fixture you choose. Choose a fixture using a standard and readily available bulb style and size that gives you the most possible options for using the lighting fixture.

  • 5 years ago

    I could always take the lamp away. The lamp will be right in front of the window or window treatment anyway.. My window treatment will be white sheers on a black metal curtain rod. Just like the one in the other room.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    If the window is installed and drapery panels are installed, I don't see any place for sconces here next to the windows.

    Don't make the same mistake with your drapery panels. Select sheer, translucent panels, NOT sheer transparent panels for your windows.


    A painting above the sofa with the proper picture light for illumination would have also been a reasonable solution for your lack of light in the room.


    norgen thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 5 years ago

    i see what you mean about the space. I think I am going to get the restoration hardware Wright Sconce you showed for my dining room. There is plenty of room in there.


    How did you do that with the pictures that is AWESOME. Can you put the RH Wright Sconce into the picture in my dining room?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    The adjustments are made to the photos using Microsoft Paint that comes on any Windows computer. It's merely cut and paste.

  • 5 years ago

    That is a large window, that large? well, I want to say that I see this type every which way, every room. Would this qualify as contemporary, and as useful for task lighting?

    // plug-in [on/off rotary switch], or hard-wired -- not dimmable. W 6.97" / D 10.82" / H 5.5"

    Rustic Wall Sconces Black Hardwired and Plug in Wall Sconce, Set of 2 · More Info


    norgen thanked everdebz
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Is this one a bit helpful when reading, etc...

    Idk why these 2 lights [this post and my last] couldn't be in same area...?

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    This mid century modern design features top quality unfinished brass - not too shiny and has a softer look that fits many modern interior designs. 5"D X 5"W X 10"H / 5" Wall Canopy / Small Globe G16.5 (Bulbs Included)


    Geometric Brass/Black Mid-Century Wall Sconce Light · More Info


    norgen thanked everdebz
  • 5 years ago

    I agree no sconces by that huge window. if your ceiling lights arent helping you perhaps step one is to upgrade those light bulbs, and baffel to get you more, better light quality.

    norgen thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • 5 years ago

    i think that for now i may just stick with looking for sconces in the dining room. And yes the window is big. It will be divided into 3 casement panels. I am doing it to bring light into the house from the South side that it faces.