Software
Houzz Logo Print
dan_porper

countertop decision help

5 years ago
Looking for advice regarding our countertop selection.

Our cabinets are BM cyberspace (charcoal gray with some navy blue), backsplash is weathered white zellige from CLE tiles, hardware is restoration hardware hounslow in burnished brass and floors are bona natural red oak. There are no upper cabinets. The walls will be zellige to the ceiling.

Ideally we would have a primarily white countertop with light gray veining/movement similar to that which can be found in marble or quartz.

Marble is not practical for us and quartz is too one dimensional (just our personal opinion.). We might consider quartz as last resort, but our island is 68”x110” and we do not want a seem in the island. I generally do not like granite because it is too busy.

That leaves us with quartzite. Most of the lighter quartzite that are not actually marble mislabeled quartzite have creamy-brown colors. We found a few slabs of white pearl quartzite that is creamy, and now here near as brown as some of the other pearl quartzite we’ve seen. We were going to paint all walls in the adjacent rooms (dining, family) white, but not sure that would work with the creamy counters (counters that work take priority over wall color).

I have attached a few photos (lighting in slab warehouse was terrible, the color of slab is a bit cooler than shown).
Yay or nay? Other options?

Comments (15)

  • 5 years ago

    Hi. First off I love the space and the design with the black gold and STUNNING flooring. I wanna day that I think the counter you chose is very gray. Right? What about the same or similar style but more to the whiter side. Meaning less of the gray vaining

  • 5 years ago

    I love the way this slab looks with your cabs and hardware.


  • 5 years ago

    The countertop color is a bit creamy and not as gray as it looks.

    Here is another example - not the slab we are looking at but the lighting is better so this more accurately reflects the slab we are looking at.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I like it.

    I can't remember the name of this one. it's a blue gray. Argento Gray maybe?


    Cielo Quartzite


    White Macaubas


    Have you considered porcelain? I just saw these two at my stone place. Infinity porcelain slabs




    I think this one is real, the name follows the picture



  • 5 years ago

    Beth, I like the White Macaubas (and also White Calcacatta, which is similar). The slabs that I've seen are very white and I am concerned they are more marble than quartzite.


    I really like the blue-gray one, but it may be a bit darker than we'd like. We might consider something like that for our island and then do something light (plain white quartz or porcelain) for the perimeter.


    We ruled out porcelain because the slabs are not wide enough for our island (68”x110”) and we don't want a seem.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    dsp,,,there are no 'partial marble/quartzite slabs". it's either quartzite, or it's not. there's no combo. true macaubas is a quartzite.

    there is a Calacatta Macaubas, but I don't know if it tests the same as a White Macaubas


  • 5 years ago

    I love white macaubas, but isn’t it the one that several people on here have had the problem with the adhesive bleed around sink areas? Might want to search on that.
    Mine is called Opus White but may be grayer than you want.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Perhaps Taj Mahal quartzite

  • 5 years ago

    my slab of Opus White

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    opus white is another name for Infinity quartzite




    These are Mont Blanc, and also resembles the opus white.(and it being a true quartzite is questionable. ) It is a beautiful stone though. but prob not quartzite.




    White Macaubas. true quartzite. as more linear veining




    and I guess there is also a Calacatta macaubas.


  • 5 years ago

    Beautiful choices- go with it.

  • 5 years ago

    Opus White is definitely a true quartzite (responding to Beth’s original comment). Mine has been absolutely bulletproof.

  • 5 years ago

    Ephma. correct. the other name for opus is Infinity quartzite. yes, it's a real quartzite.

  • 5 years ago

    Beth H. Right. I originally saw your comment in my email saying that Opus White was another name for Mont Blanc. It’s definitely the real deal, I’ve lived with it. ;) That’s why i often recommend it for people looking for a quartzite, because I haven’t found a way to ruin it yet.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    oh sorry, I went back and corrected that. the pic I had of mont blanc looked like opus, but actually Infinity was the other name for opus and I subbed that one instead of mont blanc!. sorry for the confusion! I love the Infinity/opus. it's a beautiful stone!