Software
Houzz Logo Print
wozzies

Shelf height dilemma!

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have built in bookcases with 4 adjustable shelves flanking a picture window. Do both sides need to be the same or can they have different heights?


Comments (24)

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Pictures would be of great help! I think they should be of the same height to look appealing; otherwise, they may be of different height depending on your choice!

  • 5 years ago

    Different heights are fine...it really depends on you you place your decor items and whether you like perfect symmetry.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you, this has been driving me nuts. I've been searching photos that show varied heights on either side of a TV ,window, desk etc...

  • 5 years ago

    are you asking about replacing the built-in bookcases? I think they can be different.

    wozzies thanked Jessica Gronski
  • 5 years ago

    I'd be tempted to use all the shelves on one side, full of favorite books, and then have one large opening on the other side with a decorative plate, sculpture, or other thing that fills that zone.



    wozzies thanked acm
  • 5 years ago

    I agree with acm, vary the shelf heights, fill with art, sculpture, family photos, books, collectibles, display items. Leave empty space on 1/3 of each shelf.

    wozzies thanked marylut
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you all for your input. I'm going to play around with it and figure out what I want to display and probably go for the different heights and openings.

  • 5 years ago

    Consider inverting - for lack of a better word - your alignment. For instance, in the photo you posted you have a wide space at the bottom right; make the upper left a similar space.

  • 5 years ago

    Prob the same. I pulled up some photos to give you an idea





  • 5 years ago

    Asymmetry pulls the eye in and around

  • 5 years ago

    The architecture of the whole window wall is lovely in and of itself and the symmetry of the shelves create balance on either side. It would be visually distracting to have both different heights of shelves and different heights of objects. A trailing live plant can help soften the

    hard lines and blur the edges a bit and adding a fabric/natural fiber valance would help bring some variety of materials into the mix as well. A cushion and pillows would add dimension too.

  • 5 years ago

    I really like this space, just enjoy! We would like to create something similar in our small house! Will there be a small table in front of window seat?

  • 5 years ago

    If you don't want to fill it. Just drop the top shelves down and add a spot for art on both sides. Maybe add color to the back of the shelves so your accessories shine.


    Some inspiration:


    Waco Symphony Showhouse 2013 · More Info



  • 5 years ago

    The shelf sides should match each other but that said, they can be any arrangement you want- I'd leave the top shelves on each side at a bigger height for larger items, maybe 14"-16"-from ceiling you don't need to get at very often and then the next two or three at more standard distances, 12"- but probably just 3 per side to keep things from being too cluttered. Then use the top of the cupboards as more display area for an art piece as opposed to mementos and books. Guess I am talking about horizontal symmetry between the 2 banks of shelves but then vertical asymmetry! May this be the biggest problem you encounter..



  • 5 years ago

    If you choose different heights then it helps to have some vertical dividers on the shelves, so you end up with more of a "cubist" look (but you don't need to make all the cubes the same size).


    The one thing I would not do is make two or three of the shelves on either side symmetrical, and then have a big gap and "uneven" shelves. If you are going to stagger them, mix it up from top to bottom.



  • 5 years ago

    Either Renovation Inc. or Fixer to Fabulous just had a conversation about "matchy, matchy". It's ok to have things different....have fun creating!

  • 5 years ago

    As long as you have "stuff" to fill the shelves it won't matter. What will matter is your stuff. Varying heights of different objects will be necessary if the shelves are varying. Do you have several large art objects such as vases or sculptures? Do you have family photos and books that are generally similar in size? You can do as a previous poster suggested and make one side all books and the other all art/photos/etc. but I think varying the objects within each side is a fine choice too.

  • 5 years ago

    Different levels would drive me nuts -- but I don't live there. I would probably feel fine about just skipping one shelf and doing a "double tall" on one side to accommodate bigger books or articles. I live in a smaller house, so having continuous lines makes things feel more expansive.

  • 5 years ago

    I have books and art objects of different sizes and heights. I want a case that allows me to fit my objects on the shelves. I find this preferable to having to find objects to fit a set height. Like buying books and objects of art based on their size and whether they will fit on the shelves. Asymmetry can give a more dynamic appearance and allow more diversity. But your visual palate is what you need to go with. Trying different permutations will help you find what is the best combination of form and function for you.

  • 5 years ago

    I love, love this nook .... I would let the items on display determine the distance between shelves. AND I would add a wonderful cushion and pillows for reading. Did I say I love this nook? Cheers from Bend Oregon.

  • 5 years ago

    Greetings from Kalamazoo, Michigan. Your wall is gorgeous. It’s okay to not know exactly how you want it. Just take one of the layout ideas you like and try it out. You can change the spacing if you don’t like it. In other words, don’t waste time trying to make it perfect first, when you could be enjoying the process of perfecting it as you go!

  • 5 years ago

    This is my house if it helps.

  • 5 years ago

    Different heights fine.