Need help tying shower wall with shower and bathroom floor tile

HU-758189954

Last week we picked the our bathroom floor, shower floor and wall tile. I was not feeling it that day and a week later I'm still not so my spouse has said to go select something I like ...

The bathroom counter is a remnant piece that you can see laying on top of everything in the pic. It was selected weeks ago. We have not finalized the vanity color yet ... so we can pick any stain, any wood, etc. there. Also, the remainder of the bathroom walls do not have an assigned color yet. The dark gray hexagons are for the shower floor, the lighter gray hexagons were selected for the bathroom floor (spouse really wants slate-look hexagons or slate-look herrigone so I'd like to keep it). Where things went wrong was the big cream looking tile in the pic for the shower wall (purpose was to match the vanity countertop). The first selection our designer guided us towards was a similar size that was even creamier. After my input, this tile (less yellowy/creamy) was selected as a compromise but I still do not like it (I was told that we could not use subway tile on a shower bench (?)).

What do you think would work better on the shower wall?? (I like subway tile). Thank you for your help.

**Note that the shower will not be zero entry per the plan**

• thisisnotadrill

Others here are better at the color suggestions than I am, but I can comment on your shower bench issue. Typically a piece of solid surface is used as a bench top. If you used subway tile it would expose lots of grout to standing water. Also I think a solid surface looks cleaner.

Thank you thisisnotadrill. Yes, I am aware of that but I don't believe that should've precluded us from having subway tile on the rest of the shower wall. Hopefully there's a color combo that works on the shower wall.

Need HELP in choosing tile for bathroom floor and shower.

Yes, I have. I am going with the San Michele Vein Cut porcelain from Dal-Tile. Putting it on the bathroom floor and shower walls. Up until then, my favorite was the tile in the last picture as well. It's the Regis from Arizona Tile. They are fairly similar. Am I right though in thinking that the brushed marble in the first two photos was waaay too creamy/yellow/brown to go with emerald pearl granite. My husband wanted that one and it was just getting me all confused. Thank you so much for responding!! My next dilemna will be choosing the wall paint and maybe going a little warmer on the white cabinets. I'll probably end up back on the discussion board!!!!

Need help to re-tile my bathroom shower

Can you post some pictures so we know more of what your looking at? Also is the overall shower needing replacement for some reason, or just the shower pan. I know I have a tiled shower and they replaced just the pan and a few bottom rows of tile which worked out okay (I didn't do the replacement, it was done by a previous owner). And if it's just a grout issue you could look into regrouting. Of course then again if tiles are falling off the walls sometimes you have no choice but to replace!

Shower Floor to blend w/ shower walls bathroom tiles-floor and shower

If your shower pan has failed, you have a lot of options for smaller tiles that will look like they were intentionally different from the field tile, as acm said. Try matching up a couple of paint chips to the existing pinky beige and nearly white tile. Then take those to the tile shop. Try Daltile's regular ceramic tile line - there are at least three whites. American Olean may have a pinky beige. Another option is a speckled tile which picks up both white and pinky beige in a smaller size for the shower base and a much larger size for the bathroom floor. http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?seriesName=semigloss

I need a good shower accent and shower floor tile for 2 bathrooms!

Some ideas
  • aprilneverends

We decided on subway everywhere including the bench to have bench less slippery(I've many issues with this or that being slippery). I wipe it after I take a shower, no problems. But maybe you have a smaller bench? Where wouldn't look right/be hard to set? Ours is quite big. Can you ask about their "whys"?

What's the size of the bigger hex? 8 by 8 or 6 by 6? Would help me to decide about subway too. Or its size. Or it being subway.

In any case, I agree that the suggested tile doesn't work, colorwise. Too warm and creamy. I know how hard it is and time consuming, to choose all the elements, but you're right, don't go for it..try for it to work with other tiles, countertop can be standout a bit and picked up in accessories, lights, etc.

Thanks Aprilneverends ... the bigger hex tile is 8x8.

IMO the larger the tile in a bathroom the less work to clean. I like 12 x24 porcelain tile for both the bathroom floor and the shower walls . The crean tile in your pic in no way works with the others and I like the hex for the shower floor but not for the bathroom floor and IMO get a different counter or start over with tiles that work with that counter.

HU-758189954 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting

Thank you, @Patricia Colwell Consulting. I was afraid this (getting rid of the counter) was what would be suggested ... you validate my feelings as it always felt off to me.

This is the slab the counter will be cut from. If there are no suggestions to make the current slab work, I’ll push for us to pick another slab as it has not been fabricated yet (cabinets are not done). Thanks for everyone’s thoughts - this is harder than I thought!

• aprilneverends

well it's very personal. I admit all the master bath endeavor was tailored to the needs of strange me, and me alone. Because I'm a piece of work, healt-wise. The tub, the shower, the choice of materials-everything was such as to take it into account. I feel very unsafe on a folding bench for example. I get very dizzy too.

And big tiles would be too slippery for me. I love the aesthetic, btw, But I personally would be miserable. I would avoid using the shower alltogether.

With so much money and energy going into remodels-I encourage everybody to try to go with/ predict their own safety concerns ..no feeling of safety-no comfort.

If one has no concerns-well..what can I say. There was time in my life I had no such concerns either, and I didn't know how very lucky I was. Was preoccupied with other things I felt unlucky in))

Houzz User-I can see why the slab was probably chosen-looks much grayer when standing vertically. That's a common thing..I remember circling all the slab yards and putting tiles next to slabs horizontally, and wringing my neck while trying to see how will look like when installed.

If you feel it's off (I also feel it's off but I see only a small piece and hope it has more gray in it than I see anyway) better to circle these slab yards again, as hard and time consuming as it is, and take tiles with you too. It's a very irritating part, and one feel like a monkey trying on glasses..but it's too big a deal to compromise on.

Flo Mangan

Warm stone a no go with your other selections. Find one lighter with whites and grays. Dark vanity also. I agree with Patricia on bench and niches. You can incorporate small shelfs into corners.

Thx Flo. I’m trying to convince my spouse to start over with all the selections lol. This is new build and we just finished framing, windows. So not much time but enough... I think.

• ptreckel

Thanks for telling us of your health concerns and issues. Those will play a major factor as others advise you. You might consider larger format tiles for the WALLS of your shower, vs. subway. We don’t have a sense of your aesthetic. Traditional? Modern? Transitional?

Flo Mangan

You have plenty of time. However, materials are in short supply and deliveries are slow and unreliable. So getting decisions made promptly will increase the chances your builder can deliver close to finished time desired.

Ptreckel, I’m the OP. No health issues on my end but I appreciate @Aprilneverends for sharing her situation.

Also, thanks for the advice about the shower bench. Let’s say my spouse is “taking it under advisement” at the moment! 😂

So far I’m hearing that everyone doesn’t see a wall tile that’ll bring the counter together with the floors...

Elizabeth Minish Design

There are many, many issues to consider here, but if the slate-look hexagons are staying, the slab needs to go. That will never work. Any shade of white tile on the walls of the shower will work with the hexagons, but the size they are should be tied into the style of at least the master bedroom and hopefully the rest of the house. (the larger the format, the more modern.)

More information about the style of the rest of the house will also helps us direct you as to the colour of the vanity. Wood tone does not immediately spring to mind, for example. A painted vanity in white with a dark top or dark (perhaps dark gray), with a light/white top in quartz so you are not plagued with trying to match it to the white subway tile, would be a suggestion.

• Sara S

If your top two preferences are the slate hexes and using your counter material, it seems like you can work with those.

You'll need the other tiles to have a little bit of a yellow to them to tie into the counter, but I'd focus more of matching the least yellowy color of the counter so that you don't fight with the slate color.

Maybe something like this:

Thx Sara S. Do you have the manufacturer name of any of the tiles you shared?

• Sara S

I pulled all of the pictures either off of Wayfair or Tilebar. It’s fairly easy to get sample tiles from either of these sites to see them in person with your other components. Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to do that!

• chispa

The counter material looks like Taj Mahal quartzite, which can be off white, beige, taupe and/or gray. Veins can be gold, rust and/or brown. Depending on the mix of colors it can look cool or warm toned.

Since the slab is a remnant, ask that they chip off a small piece that you can take with you when you go tile shopping.

Thx @chispa. The first pic above includes a chip from the remnant slab. At this point, we are going to choose everything again since the it’s been confirmed the tile hasn’t been ordered: so another countertop, new floor (I like Fordham Bianco in the below pic). We’ll see what happens at the stone yard.

VersaTile Interiors

Your product selections are almost all fine. Subway is fine for the shower. The bench seat should be made from the same stone as the counter top. The problem is the cream color for the shower walls. It does not work with the rest of the products. A better solution would be standard white with silver gray grout joints, or my preference, silvery gray subway tile. I think a porcelain tile that resembles a stone product would look great but a solid color may suit your fancy, too.

• felizlady

If you have issues with dizziness, you need to add several sturdy security handles inside the shower which you can hold onto. One bar should be near the door/entrance for you to hold onto while entering or exiting the shower. Your shower floor tiles should be small textured matte-finished tiles to allow more sanded grout for a secure no-slip floor. I had a built-in bench with a slab seat put in the shower and it is a good place to sit when washing feet...you don’t want to bend down too far if it makes you dizzy. Our bathroom floor is also the same matte-finished textured porcelain tile with sanded grout.

• aprilneverends

now I feel bad..that's my dizziness problem I went into when replying , not opening poster's. It's just that I write sometimes the longest posts ever. It can confuse other readers. But yes felizlady, our shower floor tiles are exacly as you've described. The main floor tiles are very textured too. We had them custom made.

I saw some appalingly bad showers this year when apartment-hunting, Potential for all sorts of future troubles-mold growing, water spilling allover because no proper closure, drains that are wrong, whatnot. Even a very healthy person would eventually have problems there. I guess seeing so many choices that'd be bad for any bathroom, regardless who's using it, left its mark on my tender psyche) It's so very strange that building things in a correct way is apparently not a given..

OP I wish you luck ..Please share with us your progress whenever you feel like it, and I apologize for taking too much space in the thread.

• RedRyder

I’m not a pro, but here goes. I like the new floor tile choice! I think it will be easier to match with all the other elements. Hang in there. This is a difficult room to design due to all the elements you need to choose. I understand you’re somewhat under pressure because it is being newly built, but this new floor choice just made it easier. IMHO a single slab bench is more practical. You don’t need niches, just put your shampoo on it. I travel a lot for work and every hotel bathroom has made my bathroom preferences more clear. Single slab benches is one of them. If you’re buying a remnant piece for your countertop, the stone yard might be willing to put it horizontally for you to see with other tiles you bring with you as you shop. (The whole vertical slab problem makes us all crazy.). Smaller matte tiles for the shower floor are definitely safer. Keep looking for those. Tile Bar is a great site.