Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Trailrunner...you ok?

Annie Deighnaugh
3 years ago

Just wondering how you're doing and hope you're getting better fast!

Comments (51)

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Trail - what is your blood type?

I'm A positive, and know that A type people seem to get it worse. 😕

• eld6161
    3 years ago

((((((Hugs)))))

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

On no - how did I completely miss this? I'm glad that you are at least past the worst of the virus and on the mend. I hope the rest of your family recovers quickly. I haven't heard of aroma therapy but I sure hope it helps - and your son too. I can't imagine cooking without tasting and smelling.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

C, I had no idea! I was offline for almost two weeks and I haven't even caught up with old topics.

I think your family is proof positive that O types definitely get mild or no infections at all. I'm also thinking you might contact the CDC and ask if there's someone you can report these tests to. It's the only way they find out.

DH, DS1, are both O-. Both O types seem to luck out. Not sure about DS2, grandkids, or ex-DIL, who has Covid and the kids are quarantined with her. I'm very scared, so I pray they're an O. I'm going to ask her later when I check in....virtually.

I think I'm an AB & I have asthma, and along with A's, we get the most severe cases. I'm a goner because I honestly think I'll get Covid because people here have also been blowing it off and the cases are skyrocketing. DH the O could bring it home to me and he'd never know he was positive.

C, take it easy. Do NOT over do it because this infection is the weirdest thing ever. People recover and a week later they get knocked out again. Save your strength and keep eating healthy. xxoo

• lizzie_grow
    3 years ago

C, so glad you're better!! Healing thoughts to your entire family! Hope the aroma therapy works....I had not heard of using it to bring back taste & smell....Take care!

• Oakley
    3 years ago

I just talked to exDIL, she and my grands are all 0-. I sure hope that's great news. Her symptoms are loss of taste and smell, but those came back after a day or so, along with a headache and fatigue. Is that considered a mild case so far?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the update, TR, and glad you are on the mend.

Thanks also for the cautionary tale...this thing spreads like wildfire. We can't be too careful.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

I missed this, too. I’m so sorry you and your family have not been well. What a horrible, horrible year, although I am glad you are doing better.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I missed the fact you had C19 too! Terrible to hear about you getting so sick, but glad you are better.

I had read things some months ago about O+ people having much milder symptoms. You are the first I know who has actually spoken about it. I am O+, DH is A+. We both are healthy and doing all we can to stay that way.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Outside, DH and I are the reverse. I’m A+ and we both suspect I may have had the virus in early Feb. DH either didn’t get it or was asymptomatic which could make sense given his blood type.

• roarah
    3 years ago

Years ago I read a book about how to eat for your blood type and it was well known medically that certain virus, autoimmune diseases and cancers effect different blood types differently it is nice to see it is still prevalent now.

C I am so happy you are recovering take care. Xo

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Outside, it's bothy O's, positive and negative that help prevent Covid. Today was the first time I even knew there was an 0+. lol We did our blood tests in 10th grade biology so I'm surprised I forgot!

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Here's an interesting and easy to understand site for the different types of blood. If I'm correct and I plan to find out, my blood type is rare. I don't like that.

List of blood types and what they do

• roarah
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Oakley, AB is the universal blood recipient so if you need a transfusion you are lucky. O is the universal donor. All blood types can use O but O patients can only receive o blood... so sometimes being AB is lucky too.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

I have never heard of anyone only losing taste or smell for a couple of days. I still don't have mine back all the way. Everyone I hear about having this symptom, are complaining how long it lasts.

Is it weird I don't know my blood type? I asked my doctor the other day if she knew and she said the only way to find out was through donating blood and of course to take a test for it, that was very expensive. I thought I remembered my birth certificate having it on there-I need to look at it and see.

Oakley, I'm not trying to make light of the subject, but your grandkids are going to be fine. I don't think it's healthy for anyone to be so scared about kids.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

Trailrunner - I had no idea you were sick. I hope you and your family have quick recoveries with no lingering effects.

O negative is universal donor.

This is the first I've heard that O blood types are less likely to get covid and if they do it's a more mild case.

Olliesmom - I'm 67 and have no idea what my blood type is.

My son decided to donate blood for a sick friend and it was discovered that he was O negative - universal donor.

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

Trail, I didn't realize you were sick, either. Glad to hear you are improving and hope your taste and smell return soon . It will be interesting to get your DH's antibody test back. The blood type theory is also quite interesting. I'm sure we will be learning new things about this particular virus for a good, long time.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

I also did not realize you were ill. Glad you are feeling better and hope that you continue to improve!

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I have only heard of o+ being at less risk for covid. Oakley, I think your DIL can count her lucky stars that's all she's dealt with. Especially with so many people hospitalized and/or sick for weeks with this virus.

• Trailrunner D
    3 years ago

DH was negative so the O blood type is holding true and DIL is also O and her test was negative but my son and grandson both got it and I had it so they both had plenty of chances to get it as we were careful but certainly not excessively so at either household.

I hope everyone stays safe through the holidays.

thank you EVERYONE for the positive thoughts ❤️

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

I'm sorry I can't seem to link this article, but go to hms.harvard.edu. It is an article about a study Harvard did in July of this year on Covid and blood types. They found there is no difference in the severity and mortality between blood types. They did find that people with type O blood who are symptomatic were less apt to test positive, while A and AB were more apt to test positive. More study needed to find the reason for this

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Ollie, with all due respect, put yourself in our shoes. Imagine your precious grandchildren (or your own young children) quarantining in their mothers house from being exposed from someone else, then their mother gets Covid. Then do research on kids and Covid. In the beginning of the virus everybody said kids do just fine, and most of them do, but more than they thought didn't do fine. Don't forget, our little town just lost 4 family members in a row from Covid. No, I can't stop worrying.

I've been snapping at DH over the mildest of things. I said something to him today that I've never said to anyone except my brother when we were little. I said, "Oh shut up" and walked away! lol DH understands, he's stressed too.

DIL said her taste and smell was much better, but not gone. She thought she was getting better the other day when her fever left, but it came back all day yesterday, and today it's gone again. Covid is like a Cobra, it can strike hard anytime during your "mild" case. It's the most unpredictable virus ever.

This is day 5 of her illness and the kids are doing fine so far. I bet it's that O blood! I do hope the fatigue doesn't linger for months like it does with many other people.

Hematology dot com says the opposite of Harvard. I don't think anything is concrete but they're obviously keeping record of the blood types and Covid outcome.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

That's the thing with covid. It's not a new virus but it's different enough and has evolved into a pandemic that scientists and researchers are continually learning new things about it. What we knew in March has morphed into new knowledge through our experiences. New knowledge may come out with the advent of the vaccines resulting in new directives. We just don't know and anyone who says that they do know is not paying attention.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Oakley, Olliesmom and members of her family have had Covid.

Blfenton, you are so right. And each case can be so different! We learned of another friend in the last few days who has Covid. His wife and daughter (young teen) had it earlier. The daughter barely had more than a cold. His wife felt pretty rough for a week or so. That was several months ago. Now he has it. He felt bad for about 10 days before going to ER (isolated himself downstairs once he started feeling bad). Now he has both Covid and double pneumonia :( Had a bad night last night and if his breathing/oxygen doesn't improve, they are talking of putting him on a ventilator. So sad.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I honestly find it appalling that there are people who seem to think that children are safe from the more deadly aspects of this virus. The death rate may be low compared to adults, but those children are still dead. Even one is too many.

Children can be asymptomatic - and now it is understood that approx. 60% of infections are spread by those without symptoms.

And the lasting effects of having had this are only barely beginning to be learned.

I am very sorry for everyone having to deal with this. It is frightening - and anyone who believes otherwise is being dangerously foolish.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

I think there are only, very few people that needlessly get overly dramatic about the Covid death rate in kids, whereas, it is very, very rare of that happening. I think certain media tries to REALLY scare people. I would be more concerned if they had underlying conditions, but if that were the case, those kids should stay home, IMO.

Many of my son's friends have gotten it and they are high school teenagers, which are more susceptible of having worse systems, and they have all faired just fine-most of them being asymptomatic. The younger kids are suppose to be mostly asymptomatic. I know many college-age kids too, that have had it.

carol, regarding lasting effects. What lasting effects are you talking about? I'm definitely not saying it hasn't happened, but I went for a lung/heart X-ray, due to an elective surgery I'm going to have, just to make sure, since I had Covid, and it came back all clear. I don't think it ever got into my lungs anyway, but I just wanted to be sure, before going under anesthesia. The only thing that I still have is still not 100% of my taste and smell. It did take me awhile to get my energy back. Why are people touting and scaring people about lasting effects, when there hasn't been enough time to even know if that is real or not?

eta: I did have a friend, not a real close friend, die of Covid the other day. Wonderful, wonderful family, and it was horrible. It breaks my heart. She had diabetes. I would for sure stay at home, if I had diabetes, or any other underlying condition.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

Lasting effects for some are real and if people are unaware of that then they're not paying attention. Google Covid Long-haulers. Mount Sinai hospital in New York has a separate department dealing with those who are suffering from the long term effects of Covid.

Getting covid and becoming a long-hauler scares me, regardless of the low chance of it happening.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

How comfortable it must be to be able to dismiss unnecessary deaths as not worth caring about.

Also, judging millions of other folks' experiences by one's own isn't very meaningful or accurate.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Carol, I think that is a bit out-of-line. I'm pretty sure I can speak for everyone in this group that no one wants to see even one death! From what we are told, by experts, and what we are seeing - at least in my area - children do seem to have much lighter cases. Schools are in session here and I only have heard of one pocket area where they closed for a day or two - due to teachers being sick and lack of substitutes. I know several older kids (tweens/teens) who have had Covid with little to no symptoms. I know of a few families with little children (pre school age) who have had minimal (cold like) symptoms. To be honest, I don't know any elementary school age children who have had Covid. I have asked several friends if kids in their children's classes/schools have had covid and the answer has been no, other than my dental hygienist said one child in her son's grade tested positive. No other children came down with it as a result. So no one is saying children are Safe but they are very unlikely to be as hard hit as an adult, especially adults in a high risk category. Of course, there may be exceptions to that and I'm pretty sure each and every one of us here do not want to see that happen, nor dismiss even one death.

• bpath
    3 years ago

My cousin's son has it, and has symptoms. He's 15. So he is isolating in his room; the rest of the family is home-quarantining. Lots of precautions.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

Exactly, Tina. You said it much better than I did.

I figured my son would get it at some point, but I was confident he would be okay, if he did. Science is telling us, 99.97% of kids will be just fine, if they get it. My son has no underlying conditions, so I wasn't really worried at all. I AM very worried about kids giving it to adults with underlying conditions and the elderly.

carol, I am not dismissing any unnecessary child death, AT ALL! I am listening to CDC on their findings. I just gave my experience on what my family and friends have had-I know it's not the "be all, end all", but it is really silly to be so scared about something with VERY, VERY little chance of it happening to kids. Some people are very dramatic, and I guess I should realize people handle things differently.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

FWIW, those mildly or not at all suffering infected kids can transmit the virus to others they come in contact with, who may not be so fortunate.

The point is to control and try to contain the spread of the virus. Young children aren't even required to wear masks here.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

Carol, that's my take on it too. Yes, kids are resilient and for the most part will be fine, statistically speaking. But what about their bus drivers? Their teachers? Their grandparents? That's my bigger concern and one that is being overlooked in this thread.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

We've discussed that in other threads and again, I think people here are aware of that and are concerned. There are many here staying away from their grandchildren, etc.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Blfenton, the long term consequences are why our sons are being so careful -- both in their 20's and both musicians -- who need their lung health to continue. That, and they worry about us. Lung problems, heart problems and strokes are nothing to take lightly.

Olliesmom and Tina, one of my sons is a teacher (choir director) and my DH falls into a couple of higher risk categories, so we;ve been watching this kind of across the board. Before Thanksgiving, due to soe events at my son's school, I went to look up cases in Texas by age. I was very surprised by what I found. These are Texas fatalities (ETA and cases -- not sure what that means) by age as of last week. Maybe some of our politicians who have been talking about older people are going to die anyway should be looking at this -- we are losing more young people who should have had their whole lives ahead of them and even more who were in the prime of their lives. This was in a spreadsheet -- I'm afraid that when I post, it may collapse again, but I hope you can see what I'm talking about.

ETA NOTE: I apologize for the confusion, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what my state thinks they are reporting. This is clearly not what I thought it was -- we are over a million cases and made the news as the first state to cross that mark, but we have somewhere around 21,000 fatalities at this point -- about a third of this number. So these numbers are not all deaths, but then do appear to show a greater number of infections in younger people, who are believed to be a significant part of the transmission. I did see fatalities only last week and it was surprising that the highest numbers were 20s to 50s. That may reflect older folks staying home or taking more care, but it definitely shows it isn't just letting old people who will die soon anyway. They really say that. SMH Anyway, I want to clarify to the extent I can -- I do not want to contribute to misinformation.

Age Groupings Number %

<1 year 229 0.4%

1-9 years 1,125 1.8%

10-19 years 2,952 4.7%

20-29 years 12,443 19.9%

30-39 years 13,380 21.4%

40-49 years 11,852 18.9%

50-59 years 10,257 16.4%

60-64 years 3,754 6.0%

65-69 years 2,533 4.0%

70-74 years 1,532 2.4%

75-79 years 974 1.6%

80+ years 1,547 2.5%

Pending DOB 15 0.0%

Total 62,593 100%

ETA: the link if you want to verify -- It is Case and Fatalities by Demographics -- under the public school cases. https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspx ETA again -- these are not just fatalities and it is not total cases. Texas is continuing to make information less and less clear. I apologize for the confusion.

Trailrunner, glad you are feeling better. Hope the DS chef soon regains his taste and smell. My nephew lost his but it returned.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Very intersting Lascatx! I knew Texas had a high rate. Here in TN, I had previously found a great Covid map which even showed number of males/females, by race, etc. I didn't bookmark it and I can't seem to find it again! I did find some info on our Dept. of Health site (state). Like you, the highest rates are ages 20-60. I think this is because so many in that age group are still participating in "group" activities, whether it be parties, etc. (college students particularly), work, etc. The highest percentage of how covid cases were spread, was community, but the next highest was nursing homes or other medical facilities. I have heard of at least two break-outs in long-term care facilities. Figures jumped again in ages 80+. Ages 0 - 10 had a very low incidence. We have just in the last week or so had our highest incidence rate :(. Obviously people are not staying in. We were out twice over the holiday weekend (out as in the car) and I was really surprised at the number of gatherings at homes. I hate to see the rates in the next 2 weeks. Most counties in our state have mask mandates (we do not have a state-wide mandate) and I do see alot of people wearing masks, although I have not been out in a public area the last few weeks (other than the drs office). During the time period of 3/22 - 5/23, our state did a good job in the rates dropping drastically!! This of course was during our lockdown period - I can't remember what the exact dates of lockdown were. But, of course, as things have opened up, the rates have steadily risen, to even higher than spring/summer. What does that tell us???

• hcbm
    3 years ago

Lascatx, Thank you for that data. I am looking for some break downs by states to complete a small project. I took a close look at that chart, as the numbers for fatal cases seemed strange. Those numbers are for both fatalities and new cases for the week. There is a different chart for deaths only and that is not broken up by age, but by county. There may be another chart that is only fatalities broken down by age, but I haven't found it yet.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

That must be what I saw last week and couldn't find. I was thinking things had changed that much not realizing it counts new cases too -- that is strange. I will try a different route and see if I can find the earlier one. I wasn't sure if it was statewide or by country, but the numbers in the 60s were much lower, but there are some terrible hot spots -- especially El Paso.

Houston had a spike this spring and managed to bring it down. Cases are back up but from what I have heard, not as bad so far. I expect that will change soon. I am in one of the outlying counties and our county judge has said he won't impose any restrictions. Our numbers stayed lower in the spring =-- probably due to more people who could work from home in the suburbs, but I'm afraid we may have higher numbers than spring soon. I think folks are relaxing and having a false sense of security if they haven't seen a serious case. Over the weekend there was a story about a Texas man who hadn't been concerned about COVID 4 months ago. He just had a double lung transplant made necessary by COVID.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Lasting effects from Covid has been talked about repeatedly on the news.

Latest from the CDC People are afraid because they hear stories from real people who went from perfect health to death. And all the lung transplants on young people!
    We try not to catch the Flu but if we do we really have no need to freak out because we don't get our legs amputated from the flu.

Almost 3,000 kids, 10-19, died from Covid in Texas. Now to me, that is one helluva lot. It's unheard of.

The CDC issued their final report on the regular flu for the 2019-20 flu season for deaths of children. I didn't find a list of ages but it doesn't matter when you compare it to the deaths in the list above for Texas. 166.

Those numbers don't even come close to Covid's. You darn straight I'm scared for everybody because Covid is like a crapshoot. The flu is bad but not like Covid.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

We try not to catch the Flu but if we do we really have no need to freak out because we don't get our legs amputated from the flu.

Not only that, but there are good antiviral drugs to treat the flu.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Oakley -- that may not be an accurate understanding of that those figures represent. They keep changing the way they report figures so it is confusing. Sometimes feels like they are trying to keep things fuzzy. I know we were the first state to hit 1 million cases, but the number of fatalities is probably closer to 20,000 than the 62,000 in that list above. My point is that young people are at risk. Not everyone in any age category will die or even be in the hospital, but the virus spreads easily and can be devastating in enough people that we can't keep up. A week or so ago, I was watching the news and one of the stories was about a woman who lost her sister to a heart attack -- one that should have been treatable and survivable, but there were no beds in the hospital. Her sister didn't even have COVID, but she died because of it. I still haven't found the earlier report -- but I am going to look again tomorrow.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

People can have the same serious complications from the flu such as pneumonia, blood clots, heart damage, cytokine storm, kidney damage, sepsis, etc.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

"Almost 3,000 kids, 10-19, died from Covid in Texas. Now to me, that is one helluva lot. It's unheard of."

Even for as big as Texas is, 3000 kids dying of Covid, is not true. All I could find was 34 kids between the age of 0-19. Which I thought 34 was a lot. But, in reality you have to know, that even if a teenager dies in a car wreck and has covid, asymptomatic, they mark it a Covid death. So, no one can be sure of these numbers.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Lascatx - you had the right document, but you added the number of cases by age group instead of the deaths. The deaths were on a different tab and from that same document is as below:

ETA: I think the data may be a little out dated based on the number of cases shown. Maybe it just refers to active cases. I don't see a date on the document. Even though the site says 11/27 I'm not sure the case count matches with that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Someone on the other side posted that in ND, it is now one in every 800 people in the state have died of covid.

• amyktexas
    3 years ago

The document says it is updated weekly, last update was 11/27/20. It is an excel document and it is important to select the correct tab when looking at the data. On a positive note, flu cases are incredibly low so far this season, which is great news since it does kill children in higher numbers.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

I didn't find a tab for fatalities only -- and I edited my original post to note the error. I spent some time on each of 3 days trying to find the data I found a week earlier and I cannot find it. Texas and my county seem to be trying to blur the information so people will not be alarmed even as numbers climb. They started the changes when cases were spiking in the summer and it seems to continue. Also, so much outdated information comes up (lots of May and June data for some reason) and I don't have the time to sift through and try to find it again, but there were more deaths in 20-29 yr olds than 60-69 yr olds. And deaths among children when we keep hearing they don't get sick. That was my point. I can't explain the figures or make sense of them, but I didn't want to take it away with discussion linked back to it. I made an assumption that the figures had changed so much because of El Paso and other hot spots, but I should have questioned it. I leave it now as an example of how muddled some of the handling of public health information has become. I don't know what they are trying to convey opr why they would combine those figures -- deaths are active cases, so even that doesn't seem to explain it. I wish they would give it to us straight.

Anyway, just yesterday, another 20 yr old joined them -- no other health concerns. And he probably believed he wouldn't really get sick. My boys are both 20 somethings. I am not ready to lose one of them. I'm glad they are taking care, but I do worry about the younger one who is teaching in a school where many are not as careful.

This thread was about Trailrunner and her family -- Since the Texas data is mush, can we stop guessing what it is supposed to mean and get back to talking about Trailrunner, her family and our families? I'm sorry for the diversion and the fact that my point got lost on garbled data and took over. That was not my intent.

• Trailrunner D
    3 years ago

@lascatx thank you!! Yeh I was going to suggest the title be changed or amended... we are no longer an item of interest 🥴 ( can thread title be edited after all this time?)

• lyfia
    3 years ago

lascatx - I don't think the Texas data is mush. The total deaths appears to track other numbers very closely that is reported. The case numbers though isn't clear how it is reported.

I do hope trailrunner and her family all recover and feel better asap.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling