Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Windows for wildfire country

Rosefolly
3 years ago

I've been researching fire resilience for houses in areas where wildfires are likely and followed each and every one of the recommendations. Not on any such list, but a feature of a house that survived a very bad situation a few years ago, is double paned, tempered glass, metal framed windows. I believe that the house in question had steel framed windows. I am only familiar with aluminum framed windows, which was what my childhood 1960's-built house had. Those windows regularly iced over every winter. They were single paned, which no doubt contributed to the problem, but I grew up with a bad impression of metal framing.

Do good, high quality metal framed windows exist? Ones that can be used in a four season climate?

Comments (6)

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Actually windows are a known point of entry for wildfires. I've been doing the research. Certainly inadequately screened vents, debris in the gutters, wood stacked against the house, gaps in the roof that allow sparks to enter, in appropriate landscaping and any number of other issues also matter. If the window frames catch on fire, or if the glass breaks due to the heat, fire can enter that way. I agree that a Class A roof, good vent screening, fire resistant siding and resilient landscaping are all probably even more important. But if you are going to do everything, windows should be considered, too.

Personally I would stop short of retrofitting windows in an existing house, though I would do as many of the other things as I could fit into a budget. Here I am considering the case of a new build, and am not yet sure just where that will be. A four season climate is under consideration, which is why I am inquiring.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Fire Rated windows are very, very expensive and typically only used commercially and or apartment type building in lot line applications.

Rosefolly thanked millworkman
  • Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good to know, thanks!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

Windows are certainly a part of the wall system, but as I stated previously, you haven't supplied any other information on the build and there are a host of other materials and landscape considerations that come well before the windows on the priority list.

Rosefolly thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Actually we pretty much already did all the other things on our present house. We even had the fire inspector come out to the house with his checklist and tell us what we needed to improve. He couldn't find anything. In fact he told us we could use our house and landscape as an example of what to do.

We are finishing up right now with replacing our wood siding with a fiber cement product. We don't plan to replace the windows here, but if we ever build a newer house elsewhere in fire country we'd consider them.

I do realize that none of this is a guarantee, but I sleep more early now during fire season.

Though we still have our go-bags at the ready.