Software
Houzz Logo Print
artsfan

German cabinets from formkitchens.com? Thoughts on melamine?

5 years ago

These are the kind of simple but sleek cabinets you see in European homes, yet I’m not finding much here on melamine. Anybody have cabinets from formkitchens.com? Or melamine from anywhere? DH ‘s eyes brighten when I mention not needing to assemble...

Comments (12)

  • 5 years ago

    When we built our house, the builder grade cabinets were melamine boxes (made to look like wood) and wood doors. They held up great, no issues with warping or sagging. If you happen to scratch them, there is no repairing, no buffing, no refinishing, etc. I can’t speak to the brand you are considering, but wanted to share my experience.

    artsfan thanked megs1030
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It’s not Chinese. Unless I’m missing something, the cabinets are designed in and imported from Germany. https://formkitchens.com/performance

  • 5 years ago

    artsfan did you make an appt to talk with Forms Kitchen? The reviews I've seen looks pretty good. Usually I would baulk at melamine, but my neighbor got a very high end German kitchen, Siematic and it's awesome. Of course that is top of the line. But if this is even half as good, it could still do the trick! I just wonder how the wood look stuff looks in person... that's a tough one to pull off.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank artsfan!
    I completely get it. It’s tricky ordering from overseas during these crazy times too.... it’s so easy for things to get delayed. It looks like a great company, but having a local cabinet guy throw some together is the other option I’m considering.

  • 5 years ago

    @hapahaole just to clarify, I ordered the same German cabinets. I just ordered from a local shop that employs people and pays taxes in my city. My understanding is that the German factory (Nobilia) is running pretty well because it is highly automated.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Melamine is an amazing product that is extremely durable. Most companies producing German kitchens (Bauformat, Nolte, Bulthaup, Etc) are all using sustainable products, like melamine to create their kitchens. Some of the newer technology has 17 hour water resistant cores. Plus, most German kitchens are on leg levelers so water isn't ever really a threat.

    artsfan thanked Modern Kitchen Pros
  • 4 years ago

    Since this thread popped back up...

    European melamine is usually different than North American melamine. In Europe they often use formed or infused melamine, which adds melamine as part of the wood binder. In the U.S. we typically use coated melamine, which is much cheaper, but only has a melamine surface coating. The difference is typically significant.

    The only place I have found melamine infused plywood in the U.S. is from a marine lumberyard, as it is still used in boat building.

  • 4 years ago

    So they are not melamine at all. Nobilia described them as lacquered laminate. The doors are postformed front coated with UV lacquered PET foil. The horizontal edge is a polymer? 🤷‍♀️ We have had them for a year now and they still look new. Not a long time but I’m happy and love the customized interiors. I know many here on houzz are very negative re foil but what can I say.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    What about the carcass?

  • 4 years ago

    “Side panels 16 mm thick, both faces melamine direct coated.” “Carcase front edge and shelves coated with PP thick edging 1.2 mm. Extremely resilient and impact resistant.” Apparently 1 out of 3 German kitchens is made by Nobilia.

Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio