bac717gw

My new console table needs a new lamp

bac717

I am very slowly making some changes in the living room and started with a new piece of art. I now have a new console table under the new piece of art. I would like to add a lamp to the left side of the table, but am unsure of what will look best there.

The frame on the piece of art is a brushed gold, so maybe gold??? Or maybe something ceramic?? The console table is only 16" deep, so I'm thinking I need something with an oval or rectangular shade. That's as far as I've gotten with my thought process. I put that lamp on there to get an idea of height. That lamp is about 28" tall to the top of the finial. I think the new lamp could be shorter than that.

Sorry the quality of the picture is not very good. IRL, I see a lot more greens in the picture on the wall and it does not look that "washed out". Also, the floor color is not 100% accurate.

Console is 52" wide.

Here are a few ideas I have.

This one is 16X9X25.5

This one is 13.5X8.5X21 (and is WAY more than I'd like to spend)

• bac717

Here is a lamp I stole from another piece of furniture in the living room. It is approximately 20" tall.

Here is a lamp I found on the Anthropolgie website when I went to look at the lamp suggested by JT. This one is 22" tall. And it's not available until the end of Feb. 2021!

I can't figure out if I need something with a shorter lamp with a bulkier base or if I need something like a buffet lamp.

• bac717

This one is 23" tall with a 12" diameter shade.

need help with my new lights and black table lamp

You need to apply some "rules of thumb." Chandeliers over dining tables should center and hang 36" or less above the table top. 5-5-75 is a good rule for art and mirrors. Centers at 5' above the floor, or bottoms at 5" above furniture under them and width within 75% of the furniture piece's width. Since you have the TV hung so high, move your taller dining chest there and tuck the gear inside. Clear that wall left of the FP and hang the two photos that are the same size with one frame's width between them and centers 5' above the floor. You might hang a slim floating buffet shelf there if there is room after centering the table. Remember you need 36-48" of circulation room all around the table before bumping into walls or furniture. Try the basket trunk as a coffee table in the living room and top it with a custom cut piece of glass. Pick up a second hand end table for the black shaded lamp to sit beside one of the sofas. This chart can help you size the table right for your sofa and lamp.

Need a new console for my front door

Ditto, this is very nice

Need new table lamps in living room

How wide is the console table? I forget. The Arhaus lamps are great, but I worry just a bit about their width. 16" is pretty large. I think that is the size of the shade, so that would be the biggest point. They are 34" high, so their height is good. I don't think I would do two of those because with the stairway there (I think) it might be good to have the one lamp on the left and then mirror or art and a few accessories to the right.

Need new table lamps in living room

Shoot it posted 3 times in a row, how can I delete extras?
  • lisaam

I'd like a lamp with a fairly chunky base such as the pretty but expensive one or the last. I'd been thinking perhaps black so for that reason also I do like the last one.

bac717 thanked lisaam
  • just_terrilynn

Sorry to highjack bac717 I’ll be back for your room,

While I was looking I went over to Trouva for a glance and thought of all you animal / cat lovers here. When I first saw this I was like, dang these sites I keyed in lamp, that’s not a lamp! The light comes out of its eyes and maybe the butt not sure lol. Yours for $340. There are some cool animal/bird lights though.

bac717 thanked just_terrilynn
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24

Like Lisaam, I’d like a chunky lamp like the last you just posted. Also like the painting a few inches higher.

bac717 thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • tartanmeup

Not a pro but I love lamps and art so had to share my thoughts. I agree with eld6161 - judging by the last pic you posted with the 20" tall lamp, it's a scale issue. The proportions of the three look off in that pic. The console needs to be "weightier", the picture higher and the lamp much taller, I think. Any arrangement with a table lamp in that corner risks compromising the art, I think.

ETA: I love chunky lamp bases but I'd consider something lighter here if thinking of a tall table lamp.

What about a floor lamp instead?

bac717 thanked tartanmeup
  • lizzie_grow

I love the Anthro lamp JT posted. It fits so well with your art & makes it all cohesive!

bac717 thanked lizzie_grow
  • lynartist

I know a larger lamp will overlap the art a bit but I think it would look nice. Here are some visuals. I like the green in here, the added color looks wonderful with the dark wood and the beautiful art.

• lynartist

...

bac717 thanked lynartist
  • lynartist

Btw, the height of the art is fine! The table is fine too.

• everdebz

Don't think there's any 1 best. I'm curious what you have around the area - any gold already? Do you like a particular couple colors in the art?

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

With dark table and canopy has brown / 2 in the set / A sculptural design for any decor, with trapezoidal white shades and a sophisticated figure 8-shaped base in rich golden bronze / 28h x 17w x 9"d / bulb Type A 100W or CFL 23W

Drea Table Lamps, Set of 2 · More Info

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

taupe-y in art- so shade could be a blend - metal not a match, probably same but duller.

Millbrook Table Lamp, Antique Brass Finish, Brown Hardback Fabric Shade · More Info

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

Natural ceramic and oatmeal shade? 13.5"W x 31.5"H

dark but question about direction-- your house any rustic?

I would consider what I might buy for lower shelf -- are there any items you have in the house? :)

Carolina Ceramic Table Lamp , Multitone Green Glaze Finish · More Info

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • bac717

I really do appreciate all the suggestions and mockups!!! Gives me a lot to consider. There isn't any room for a floor lamp with just 10" between the table and the corner. Altho some of the colors in the artwork appear to be more of a pink, they really are more of a peach/light rust. I don't have anything in the house I would consider rustic and I'm not sure what I'll use on the bottom shelf. It's only 10" deep, so I'm a little limited by that dimension.

When I went to look at the lamp suggestion from World Market, I also found this one, but am not sure it's the right green.

And then when I goggled green ceramic lamp, I found these two. 22" and 23" tall.

I know they are all pretty boring, but I feel there's a lot going on in the art. Right now, I'm leaning toward something green or something neutral like the very first one I posted. I can visualize only by having the actual item in the house, on the table and that's just not an easy option! I wish it was as easy as ordering a bunch of dresses from Nordstrom and them returning them to the store!!!

• everdebz

Nah... some of tv that's on now is about the same... so don't 'worry'... ;)

Nature is full of various greens. Verdigris is as neutral as other greens, probably more so than the yellow-greens. Your lamp might be an understated support.... ?

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • just_terrilynn

Those are nice Bac. I feel your pain on the “right” lamp search. I looked off and on for lamps for each side of my media cabinet with an above wall mount TV for a few years. In the end I ended up getting two skinny spiral sculptural LED adjustable lights. It fits really well with my eclectic style. The good thing is that I can set them on mood or bright or two other choices. I think you don’t sound like you are in love with anything yet. Maybe put something inexpensive but acceptable there for now until the right lamp introduces itself.

bac717 thanked just_terrilynn
  • everdebz

Not bad at all - alot going on - I bet you've looked at, and appreciated the art... I like what I see from here - delicate, sort of watercolor look, stylized. I wear peach/ russet/ deep rose, etc. Because you brought up clothing! say a floral dress mixes greens in the pattern. Your green lamp is part of the "pattern" I'd say. Must be a way to experiment with heights w/o lamps... what if you placed an item like a box even, to see how much space it occupies..

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Love your painting. I have the second lamp (the round gold ring) at the beach house, dont recall it being $$$; maybe its a knockoff.

I like what Jterri posted yesterday w the lamp on the right. I think something rounded and with visual heft but a light color is perfect. I dont think you want something hollow.... not enough contrast w the painting if you can just look trhu it?

bac717 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • bac717

I'm going to try to head out today. Maybe I'll find something inexpensive but acceptable. I would have to say that the first lamp I posted, in many ways, fits the description from mtn - something rounded and with visual heft but a light color. The only difference is that it's oval instead of rounded.

• bac717

I was out today and brought home the green lamp from World Market. I may have a shade at home that I can use and just need to find the right size harp. As soon as I have it set up, I'll get a picture to share and get your thoughts.

• bac717

Here it is and for $60, is sure beats $529 for the gold key hole lamp!! This is a shade I have at home. IRL, it is not as white as it appears in the picture with the lamp on. Overall height is 24". Thoughts?????

• lizzie_grow

I think it looks great!!!

bac717 thanked lizzie_grow
  • lynartist

Nice!

bac717 thanked lynartist
  • Jinx

Love it, great choice!

bac717 thanked Jinx
  • bac717

Thanks!! It's kind of a boring choice, but then again, there's a lot going on in the art on the wall, so maybe this is the way to go. I may want to find a different shade. Maybe a drum shade that just a little bit shorter. I just love to over analyze everything.

• bbstx

If you have one laying around, try a harp that is 1/2” shorter. Either way, it looks good!

bac717 thanked bbstx
  • lizbeth-gardener

I like the lamp, but don't think the shade works. I like the shape of the shade in the first post of this lamp. It's a bit bigger with a slighter taper. If you have a good lamp store in your area, they are usually very good at helping you find the right shade for your lamp. Love the painting!

bac717 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • aktillery9

I think it looks great! I agree with lizbeth.... I think a different shade that is a bit more modern and sleek would look good.

I adore your painting!

bac717 thanked aktillery9
  • bac717

Thanks!!! I, too, feel the shade needs to change. DH, tho, as usual, feels the shade is just fine! There are several shops in the area that specialize in lamp shades, so I should head over to one of them and take a look. I am thinking that maybe more of a drum shape might work on this lamp.

BTW, the art on the wall is from Crate & Barrel.

• maggieq

Always enjoy your lovely home. Lowes has a number of budget shade options - may be worth a stop.

bac717 thanked maggieq
  • aktillery9

Here is a link to Lowes lamp shades. They have a ton of options!

Lamp Shades

bac717 thanked aktillery9
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24

That looks really nice!!

• bac717

I stopped by Lowe's this afternoon and didn't find anything in the store, but will take a look on line to see if there's anything in the size I think I need. Thanks for the responses and the link!

• everdebz

Hey...your eye level when camera took pic lower/ at lamp's middle - seemed fine. I think it's called the socket that showed just a little.

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

Do you really hate current shade?

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • bac717

No, I don't hate the current shade, but I know I can do better. I think it needs to be a drum shape that's a little shorter.

My DIL had a 30% coupon for World Market, so I was able to go back and save $18. I know a new shade will cost a lot more than that, but might be worth it.

• lynartist

I don’t think a drum shade suits this lamp. I would suggest going to a lampshade shop but this lamp is not very pricey and a good shade will cost more than the lamp!

bac717 thanked lynartist
  • lynartist

You may be able to find something online but only if it is returnable. Fitting a shade can be a bit tricky which is why I prefer to take the lamp shopping with me.

bac717 thanked lynartist
  • bac717

You are absolutely right about the cost of a good shade from a lampshade store, lynartist, as well as it being much easier to choose a shade when you have the lamp with you! I have so many other things I should be focusing on, especially at this time of the year. I should put this project on hold, but you never know when I may just run out one afternoon to the shade store!

• everdebz

Run, don't walk,,, only kidding. lyn's post has my eyes thinking that the shape of entire table is like your shade... don't do the drum imo.

bac717 thanked everdebz
  • lynartist

Exactly everdebz; and buy a beautiful finial for the top to give this lamp a more upgraded designer look!

bac717 thanked lynartist
  • Peppapoodle

Very pretty!

And I don’t mind the current shade w a slightly shorter harp. But also like what Lynnartist has done relating to the curve of the console leg.

bac717 thanked Peppapoodle
  • bac717

I have replaced the harp with a shorter one I had around the house and am using a finial from a lamp I'm currently not using. Not big changes and probably not very noticeable in this picture, however. So, for my "investment" of $42, I think it looks fine.....................for now. (I hesitated to post a picture because you can hardly see the finial or the difference in the height of the shade, but here it is anyway.)

• lisaam

It looks like it's always been there- in a nice way

bac717 thanked lisaam
  • aktillery9

I agree with Lisa. It looks perfect!

bac717 thanked aktillery9
  • bac717

Now, I just need to figure out what to put on the lower shelf, altho, it's not a priority right now. The shelf is only 10" deep.

• lisaam

I'm sure that you'll find something nice for the lower shelf eventually. The 'product placement' on the top is perfect. Nothing makes me happier than "the center is reserved for God".