Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Need advice to hide concrete wall

Peke
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We live on a lake, and our front door faces the lake. We would like to partially hide the concrete wall, but not block the breeze. Tall evergreens would block the breeze. The lower wall is about 2 ft tall and the Spirea hides it. The crape myrtles hide part of the wall in the summer, but not in the winter. The drooping Spirea is light pink, the upright Spirea is white, and the crape myrtles are raspberry colored.

The Spirea can be replaced, but I want to keep the crape myrtles.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Comments (17)

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

Appears that any of the evergreen viburnums would work. Of course if you want to keep the CM, they'd hide them too. Or at least much of them.

Peke thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • callirhoe123
    3 years ago

Need a picture with your house and the lake to see how things fit together. What is the structure on the concrete pad?

Peke thanked callirhoe123
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

...and we need to know where you are located.

tj

Peke thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Some sort of native shrubbery would be great, but also painting the concrete would help. A medium sage-y green fits in most everywhere.

Peke thanked nickel_kg
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    3 years ago

What exactly are we looking at?...your backyard? What is that concrete monstrosity? What is up those steps? Someone else's property? Need more expanded pics to get a broader idea of the property and what we're dealing with. Is the area in question full sun or part sun? Good drainage? Do you irrigate here?

Since you can grow crape myrtle, I assume you are in zone 7 or warmer? A specific location would be extremely helpful. Somewhere in Oklahoma?

But I would think you'd want something reliably EVERGREEN there.... like a holly, pieris, euonymus, osmanthus, rhododendron, viburnum, laurel, nandinas, camellias, etc etc.

And we'd need to know if deer are a problem.

Peke thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back here. That area gets full sun and faces the east mostly. No shade all day long on the concrete.

The rock wall is on two sides and faces the lake. It has a pool and concrete deck on top. It is ugly, but this is the country. The stairs go from the boat dock to the front door.

The front door IS technically in the back yard. The massive concrete wall is a porch/patio on the top. Oklahoma has clay soil usually. It is on a slope so drainage is good. The gutters drain through that large PVC pipe in the concrete. I can paint that for sure.

We live in southeastern Oklahoma. Deer and rabbits are everywhere. The deer sleep in the grassy area closer to the road and they are always near my carport and cars. No fear in them, at all.

I thought about azaleas or rhododendrons, but they would not hide the concrete in the winter. Plus, it gets full sun. I guess I shouldn't worry about the winter because not that many people are using a boat in winter. That is the only way they could see the front of my house.

On the upper slope, I have low growing dwarf crape myrtles. The taller crape myrtles are called Pink Velour. On the lower wall, I don't want something that has to be trimmed all the time like a hedge. I thought about nandinas, but there is probably something better. It needs to be no higher than 2-3 ft tall. Some type of fountain grass might hide the wall, but I am not sure about using it.

Picture of my front/back yard with the rock wall and pool. Stairs are where the lower sidewalk is.

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Front/back of house before we had new siding installed. New siding is horizontal like it should be. Old siding was part vertical and part horizontal. Some redneck's idea of making it "fancy"?

The front door is on the left side of the picture where the concrete patio is (and the massive concrete mess). The stairs are there too.

I can't get a picture of the entire house because when I stand by the lake, all I see is rock wall and roof. Those picture windows are now double hung windows. Not one window in the house opened! All picture windows.

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Back yard that faces the road and driveway. No doors and only two windows. The carport area and left corner get most of the afternoon heat from the sun.

I will worry about landscaping there later.

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The concrete wall and patio when we first bought the house. The fountain has been moved to the patio in the corner so we could plug the motor in.

The copperIsh/green looking things that hold the rope are not bolted down. I knocked one over one day, and it was like watching dominos fall...every single one went over the concrete edge. Took me forever to get them back up to the top, and they are heavy. Not very safe so we will bolt them down once everything is finished. I thought about building a pergola with wood railings, but we get too many snakes and I want to be able to see them quickly.

The house has blue siding with khaki and off white trim. The gutters, carport, and garage doors are tan/khaki. That gray door is my front door, but we have added another door on the patio that goes into the garage.

Weird angle on this picture. Only the left side of the house is showing. The right side of the lower level is hidden by the rock wall. All windows have been changed. There used to be three picture windows in that upstairs room, but they walled it up for some reason. Now there are 3 double hung windows on the lake side and 1 on the carport side.

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pool deck by master bedroom. New siding going on.

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pink velour crape myrtle color.

• Tim Wood
    3 years ago

Red Wall® Virginia creeper - Parthenocissus quinquefolia would be perfect for this application. https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/parthenocissus/red-wall-virginia-creeper-parthenocissus-quinquefolia

Peke thanked Tim Wood
  • diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 years ago

If it were me, I might consider a big rambling rose - all that sun and warmth, to a person with a shady, woodsy yard, is a perfect place for a rose, scrambling over it. Doesn't do much for winter scenery, but are you out there much in winter?

Also, not sure what the budget is, but could you re-face it with rock to match the wall?

You have a unique house with some unique challenges, but that sitting out and enjoying that view must make it all worth it!

:)
    Dee

Peke thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Tim. I will look for them when it is time to plant.

Diggerdee,, it is definitely a unique house. The upstairs over the garage is built in the shape of a parallelogram for some weird reason. The carport can handle 3 vehicles plus a riding lawnmower side by side. Essentially, the upstairs is wider than a 3 car garage. They built it as a 1 room enormous master bedroom, plus a bathroom. We had only two bedrooms downstairs plus the large room upstairs. Too big! Our contractor turned it into 4 rooms upstairs. The other master bedroom (downstairs) has those three bay windows. Excessively large, but it does hold about half of our remodeling crap.

I had roses there, but my husband vetoed them because he kept getting scratched while he mowed.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 years ago

I was thinking of having the roses actually ON the concrete. Obviously they have to be planted in the ground lol, but train them to ramble up and over that concrete up to the roped-off area. If you make the bed large enough you can mulch it, train the roses away from the grass and over the concrete, and scratching can be kept to a minimum lol!

:)
    Dee