Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann23941

Is anyone willing to help me select art?

Ann
10 years ago
I recently posted a dilemma about my dining room table and several people suggested new art to replace what is currently on my wall. I might do that. Here are pictures of the current room and art. The table stays - I just had the top distressed and refinished a darker color. The rug stays - it was expensive and for now, the light fixture is also staying. The current art is 37" wide and 32" high. I'm thinking of about 46 wide and 38 high and maybe a canvas since glare is a problem in this spot. I've included pictures of rug color and drape color (sage/celery from Restoration Hardware).

Comments (233)

• PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry. I deleted my comment, wish you hadn't seen it. I just think it's a lovely piece on its own, but I can see you have plans for it and I really don't want to spoil your plans. You obviously have great taste.
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Hey, Ann! Haven't looked at everything yet, but I will. I don't know if I can add anything, but I just wanted to say "hi"!
    Ann thanked jen046
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Hi Jen.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gosh Maguire, you shouldn't have deleted your comment - it was a fine and useful comment! It's actually got me thinking if I should have her paint two smaller paintings (independent but coordinating with the one I've got) that I could just hang as a group of 3 on that wall without trying to make an overall shape. You know, kind of like mforr's living room post above. I appreciate the ideas very much and as I mentioned, the artist is too busy to tackle my additional work for a couple months, so I can give it some thought. What does everyone think about just a group of 3 paintings rather than a tryptic? And, if that's a better way to go, what sizes and arrangement would work well with the 30" square?
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I am not good with stuff like that Ann but hopefully someone will chime in.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Angela. I'm wondering if maybe I should start a new post showing just the pictures from today of the room with the new art and explaining that I plan to purchase one or two more pieces from the same artist to fill more of the same wall. I could also throw out the tryptic examples for discussion and see if I get more ideas by opening a new discussion. I actually love the new art and think it will work great - I just need to know the best way to "complete" it.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I think so Ann.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK, I'm off to bed but maybe I'll try that tomorrow morning. I can also browse Houzz pictures and create a new Ideabook with art arrangements.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Yes me too, goodnight.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I think that either way will work, but you need to go with what makes you happy and fits with your vision for that wall. If its truly what you want, then it can't be wrong. :)
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    Ann are you starting a new post? Will you put the link here?
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maguire, I think I'll start by searching Houzz pictures looking at multi piece art arrangements. I might end up starting a new post but I'm now thinking it might be a pretty boring, specific post that might not get many comments :) I think the posts that get attention are the broad ones like "help me decorate my bedroom". Then everyone jumps in regarding bedding, lamps, art, drapes, furniture arrangement, etc. etc. "What size pictures and how should they be arranged with this 30" picture?" could be a pretty uneventful post :)
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Don't worry Ann we will be here for you. Hope all is well.
    Ann thanked armygirl1987
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Angela! Yes, I'm doing fine. Hope you are having a great time. I'm very excited to see your new bedroom stuff arrive! I'm still waiting on my two bedroom lamps - ship date was a bit uncertain since they were being shipped from the manufacturer. Hopefully they'll arrive early this week. I'm having fun with my daughter's new house right now. My 7 and 5 year old granddaughters have matching rooms with window seats. I ordered custom bench cushions for their window seats and desk chair pads to match. They are also getting new Pottery Barn shades for the windows (from their other grandma), and a new PB rug and duvet cover for one of them. Everything except the shades arrives Tuesday. I think their rooms will be adorable.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Make sure you post pictures Ann.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will try to remember to take some pictures of the girl's rooms Angela.
    So, I did decide to try a new post about the art. Here it is.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/dining-room-art-discussion-continued-and-updated-dsvw-vd~612711
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bet this new post will have very few comments - pretty boring - I'd skip right past it :)
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Don't say that Ann, if I have to keep typing foolishness just to out it back on top.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's actually gotten a bit of activity - certainly not a spell binder though :)
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Put it*
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Whew! I'm up to speed now. Fascinating conversation, spurring an interesting debate. As the daughter of two amazing artists (who could never figure out how to sell their art, and now, of course, I won't), I'm a huge fan of original art, even if it's by a promising armature.

My son is trying to break into the art world as a metal sculpture, and since I am a lawyer and have a business background, I'm doing what I can to help him. Maybe the blind leading the blind, be we're having a good time.

My son just found out about a great non-profit workspace for Seattle area artists, and they often have shows are studio space tours. Maybe, Ann, now that you are a fine art collector, you will find something like that locally. It's such a great resource for struggling young artists (or even not-so-young struggling artists).

Also, another idea is to haunt the local second hand stores, garage sales and Craigslist. Believe it or not, I've seen some beautiful pieces out there that I could have gotten for a song. If I only had more wall space! If nothing else that's a good way to score some cheep frames!
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    Buy Local! There are lots of artists out there with no way to advertise... and if you have a local art league or community art space, you might go there and see what originals are out there to be had. Even meeting with an artist that might do a commissioned piece to your dimension requirements. Another thought.. I just looked at the new Restoration Hardware page and there are some really cool things. One is a large map looks like a vintage map of the layout of Paris. Expensive but it's very nice eye candy. Many neat ideas on the pages of wall decor. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?cm_sp=global_top_nav_store-_-dynamic_menu_item-_-NA&categoryId=cat1701067
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    Some of my originals that I spent about $400-$500 on each.. Local art league is the best resource. Most local artists are members and happy to invite you to their studio. I agree with the fact that using a famous print from a well known artist ( Monet, Manet, Van Gogh, etc.. ) is a waste of a good wall. You want something unique to you and original art is not that expensive. I have a rather large menu I got in France that I had framed and it's large and perfect for a dining area. That would be an idea and just a good framing business can do wonders. The menu cover, then the menu and photos of the restaurant staff. I also like multiple art work in one space.
  • silverscreenstar
    10 years ago
    I vote for arrangement number 1. If you select the second one, the lower painting, yet to be created by the artist, will be obscured by the chairs and table in the dining room. Remember, not to hang them too high, which is probably the most common "mistake" people make with their artworks.
    Ann thanked silverscreenstar
  • silverscreenstar
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    @hurst visual solutions: I really like your choices! Very nice...however, IMHO, you ought to move BOTH paintings in the photo appearing in the lower right room with the dark coloured wall. I say this because, the lower artwork is somewhat obscured by the lampshade. Also, I don 't know how often you use this light, but the heat from the bulb could adversely affect the painting. The painting above it, and slightly to the left, of the lower one, is too high and too poorly lit to be enjoyed. It appears to be almost in the dark. You can't enjoy what you can't see! Hope that's helpful...
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the recent comments. I know it's a long discussion, but I did find and purchase a painting at a local art show that I like very much. I posted pictures toward the end of this discussion (and started a new discussion about it :) The painting I purchased isn't quite the size I want for the wall, so I've commissioned the artist to paint two more complimentary paintings - thus the new discussion about what the best size would be for the two more. Here is a link to the new discussion in case you are still interested.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/dining-room-art-discussion-continued-and-updated-dsvw-vd~612711
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    @silverscreenstar - the photo gives a bad view and an illusion they are closer to the lamp than they are. It's a good 8" and there is no heat at all. Thanks for the observation.... This is a TINY guest room I did and it's in the basement where the prior owner installed ( ugg ) drop ceilings.. So, the top painting is about 10" from the ceiling you don't see. That's why it's all so tight. There is room for this drop leaf table on the left, a twin bed and then a tall marble top plant stand on the right. Making it very tight. Here are photos of the finished room.. a before for fun!
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    10 years ago
    I would definitely GO BIG!
  • PRO
    Nandita Arts
    10 years ago
    New and original artwork available.
  • PRO
    Nandita Arts
    10 years ago
    Check out all available artwork at nanditaarts.com Gallery.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've already found my new art - but thanks.
  • PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    10 years ago
    Ann, I remember well these pictures and your bamboo plant. Glad to see you held strong onto it. Yes. It's good luck. I wish I would have got my mother's lucky silk plant. :) Hope your golf trip in Phoenix was fun with a happy par. I think your selection f/ the local artist is beautiful combination with your rug. Adore that rug! I remember your suggestion of a triptych wall. Thank you for posting the link updated!!! You made an excellent choice ~ agreed how very well they relate to one another. I love the view of pics showing the sloped ceilings. Now, we can see it as well as feel it! Just beautiful.
    Ann thanked Sheri Wilson Fine Art
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Sherischart! I'm enjoying my new art very much. My plant/tree is just a ficus rather than bamboo but it's healthy and grows like a weed which works well with my high ceilings.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Hey Ann. how are you. Have you done any Christmas decorations yet?
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just great Angela, how are you? You'll laugh at me but I was scheduled to have Xmas Eve here this year but my daughter asked if we could all come to her house instead (it's very close to here). I said sure and decided to not even put up a tree - so no decorations at all this year:) Terrible, I know. My living room chairs are scheduled to be reupholstered in early Jan. so I'm getting excited about that project. How's your daughter's room? Is it finished?
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I am good, getting ready for graduation on Saturday. Just took out decorations out of the shed and will put it up tomorrow if I find the time. No my daughters room is not done, still need to put up curtains and then paint the bookshelf. I put another dilemma up about the book case.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/finishing-up-a-room-dsvw-vd~765357
  • G S
    10 years ago
    I thin the bigger the better with the art - as long as it doesn't get bumped by someone in a chair. One thing that sticks out is the pot used for the plant - I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned it - but a nicer pot in a different color could make a big difference.
  • Ashley Bell
    10 years ago
    Ann--I just read through most of this. I, too, support your buying original art, or creating something. I have some pieces that are worth a lot, but did not cost a lot initially, and have bought almost all of my "good" pieces on lay-a-way from galleries or artists (including a Warhol that I paid off over 6 months--originally paid $3650 in 2000, but now worth about $40,000!!! I bought it because i loved it, but the increase in value is a bonus!). But I also have original pieces that were good, but were purchased at flea markets and antique stores. My criteria for buying is whether or not I like the image the first second I see it, and every time I look at it after that...for bigger purchases, I look at it, think about it, and go and come back the next day if I am still thinking about it, and to see if I really still like it. So every piece I own is something I love, and is still interesting to me years later. You have to live with it every day, so it should be something you really like! I am a huge fan of pop art (everyday objects displayed in a way to showcase their beauty, usually outside of the context of their original purpose--my summary, nothing more academic than that!), and bought some Mexican wrestling posters a few years ago (just printed on newsprint, as they were meant to be glued en masse on walls), that I had matted and framed. The posters costs about $8, the framing about $200 (could have been done a lot less at a DIY place, but I used a box frame and had the posters dry mounted on foam-core, and I live in NY!). The final pieces: Priceless!!! I don't think traditional pop art would work in your space, nor does it make sense with your taste, but just an example of the types of things that can be done for affordable, interesting, original pieces for your walls. All that to say this: it looks like you went in that direction (original art)! yay! Collecting local artists will help you get to know the artists in your community. Most will work with you on paying for the pieces. Most will welcome studio visits. It's so great to own pieces from artists that you know, and can ask a million questions about the piece. To me, it makes it more interesting, and gives each piece meaning, and depth. Plus it's a whole new interest! The other thought that I had when I first saw this posting, is that you might consider moving the console table from in front of your half-wall (I think it's in front of a stairwell), and put it as a buffet/serving table on your dining room wall. It will also "anchor" the space, so that a smaller painting or grouping would not seem to be floating on a huge otherwise empty wall. That way you are not wed to a giant painting (either trying to find one, or trying to find a place for it later if you move or buy a different piece of furniture for this room). Good luck! Your space and pieces are relatively stylized and neutral, so the visual/emotional "texture" of original art (paintings and maybe a ceramic bowl or vase on the console, if you move it), will make everything very interesting and more complex and layered, without being too cluttered. Does that make sense? I also like very simple lines and very little detail in textures, but I layer the shapes, so that it is not too visually simple to take in, and therefore, boring (this is a hard to put into words--easier with visual examples!!). Just looking back at the pictures that you posted, you could move that console table, take the leaf painting/photo (it's in the pic with the live bamboo in the copper planter), hang it horizontally above the console (or maybe even vertically as it currently is (not sure of the measurements and scale), and take the glass bottles from the washstand piece (next to the bamboo rods), and put those on the console table in an offset (to the left) grouping. I think that would look great with what you already have! Sorry to go on and on, but I think this is a very solvable problem. I also second what someone said above about buying a more interesting planter for your ficus--maybe something bigger, with more texture. .Good luck and please keep posting photos so we can see the evolution of this space!! p.s. love those kitchen countertops!
    Ann thanked Ashley Bell
  • PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    10 years ago
    Ann, should have remembered FICUS because I neglected mine after my kiddos were born. I must purchase another. Maybe that'll be my x-mas tree next year. Hah!? Anne, I thought I'd get out of the tree but not this year. 2nd x-mas w/ g'baby. :) (14 mth old) He is getting used to their tree. They put up the tree and then the lights until he got accustomed to it. And the next day this is how he decorated the tree. (see image) I hope this makes you laugh. Have to share. Armygirl , I'm taking a gander at your daughter's room.
  • PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    10 years ago
    Do you think he has a future in Christmas Retail Clothing Window Designs?
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sherischart - after reading Ashley's comment just above, I now remember I did put a picture of my silk bamboo plant (from the living room) in this discussion. No wonder you remember the bamboo plant:) I love your grandson's decoration! That's a fun time, my granddaughters are a little past that age but not by too much.
    Thanks for your comments Ashley. I did buy some art from a local art show (though the artist is from Georgia and we're in Colorado). The piece I liked was too small so I commissioned two more to add to it. It took her 6 months since she had a busy nationwide art show schedule, but I got the finished pieces recently (pictured below). I could move the antique library table from the hall to the dining room but I rather like the openness of the dining room and it's kind of narrow - the table might make things a bit crowded.
    Angela - I did bake cookies with my granddaughters (pictured below) - does that count for Xmas spirit? Do you see the Xmas duck - one of my granddaughters requested that so out came the Easter cookie cutters.
  • PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    10 years ago
    Ann ~ so inviting to see sugar x-mas cookies again! Thanks for posting and too, telling me that I wasn't having one of those "senior moments". Ho-ho-ho. On the note of rearranging furniture. Do not do as I do and invision the room gaining an extra 2 feet and miracously expand. Can't tell you masking tape has saved my back and decisions of furniture placements. And don't forget when arranging paintings to save time too. (see attached image)
  • PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    10 years ago
    Pass the cookies please. :) Just one.
  • Ashley Bell
    10 years ago
    LOVE IT!!! It's great to see the room from this perspective--it's much more open than I thought. It turned out wonderfully...Now that I see the room from this angle, it's clear that you are not hurting for wall space (we always are in NY!), and that room can handle huge pieces. That said--I like what you did--it's looks terrific!
    Ann thanked Ashley Bell
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Hmmm-cookies is not enough Ann but spending time with granddaughter is priceless.
  • dnomsed
    9 years ago
    Is there a way for me to inquire of Jolina Anthony? I love her work but have several questions. Her pieces posted on Houzz, Etsy, Art.com, etc all invite direct questions but I am unable to get an accurate address or response.

I am totally redoing a living room which currently is a big blah and I love her work...just need to ask her a couple questions. Please, help,

Thank you.
  • dnomsed
    9 years ago
    I am the person who asked about contacting Jolina Anthony, artist in Germany. My direct email is BarbTsuchida@comcast.net. Thanks.
  • dsebak
    9 years ago
    I like your art do you have non glare glass in the frame if not I would try that if you love your art. I would then look for two more objects or pieces to compliment this piece, I also like groupings of three like one of the other comments.

What about 2 Rectangular mirrors on either side this will balance the wall and add depth to the room.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Old post

• PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    9 years ago

August 12,2013 Posting ~ this was a fun creative collaboration! Great ThrowBack Thursday it is. Maybe Ann will pass the Christmas Cookies again. :) (grins)