luluq07

tv stand help... again.

Lindsay

I have posted many times about my odd layout of a room and my tv... and I know I know it’s not suppose to be in front of the window. But there really isn’t options. We are now thinking of mounting it on the left of the tv stand with a shelf underneath and putting two chairs in front of the bay window.
My idea is to scale down the furniture in this room.
The Tv will not fit on the long hallway wall.

• gittelena

Hi there, there is nothing wrong with the placement of your TV - yes common design practice would advice you to not put the TV in front of your window but doing so in your case makes sense because it will be symmetrical and centered in front of your couch. I would remove the curtains though and just have blinds, if you are looking to change your blinds go with wide faux or real wood blinds in white to reduce the business behind the TV. Your room is lovely!

Beth H. :

life w/this room would be so much easier if that window was gone. It's basically useless since you have it covered, it offers no view, and light isn't an issue w/your other larger window. close it off.

can you start there?

all you're doing now is trying to fit a square peg in round hole.

Then you'd have the entire wall to play with.

at the very least, lose the console you have and mount the tv to the wall directly under the window.

put in some bookshelves, or chairs or benches in both corners

this is a Mis-mash of photo images, but something like this

if you had a smaller tv, you could do this, but it's built out. it would look weird next to flat portion of the wall.

close up the window and do some built ins like this, and maybe a gas insert fireplace (not shown here) with tv above it

Like this. w/the tv above

• Kim

If you eliminated that window by dry walling over it, your options are so much better. It's a rather small window and a bit high on the wall so I think it would look a lot better without it.

• njmomma

@Beth H. : gave you the best advice. A tv wall unit will look the best.

• partim

Switch the TV and the sofa locations. Put something behind the TV to hide the back of it from the entrance way. A freestanding screen. A shelving unit facing the entrance way, that's about the height of the top of the TV. Basically you want a sort of wall there that only needs to be solid to hid the TV part.

You could even extend the wall, not full height, but tall enough that it hides the TV on a lower console.

• Amanda Smith

I found this image...I think the tv integrates nicely even though it’s in front of the window. The built-in cabinetry makes it work.

• lcdsmith

What about a corner unit? Mine is dated but it works for us for the same reason

• crogs571

I would do an articulating wall mount on that wall to the left of the window. The articulating part allows you to angle the tv so it would currently aim toward the right side of the sofa. Whatever equipment you have you can do a floating shelf or two behind the TV so everything is hidden. Less is more.

I honestly, don't get the heavy wall suggestions with big built ins and such and killing the window. Makes no sense to me and makes the room quite unbalanced while removing a source of natural light. Life would be easier if there was no window? Sorry... That's just perplexing.

I would then ditch the sofa and get a sectional. Now you have more seating with good viewing angles of the TV. Do the long side against that big bay window and the short side facing the TV wall. That bay window seems perfect for plants.

That now opens up the walkway into the room from the hallway. Now, with the sofa going right up to that wall's edge, it seems like the hallway's walkway just extends all the way to the front of the sofa.

Or you could move the sofa to along the bay window wall and add a nice complimentary side chair that faces the TV wall.

Side note, get a decent sound bar and a simple mount kit on Amazon so you can mount it flush to the bottom of the TV. Subs are mostly wireless with them now so you can place it anywhere that's convenient in the room. Not looking to recreta theater, just mak watching TV more engaging. With note two, I'm guessing that's a 55" TV there now. I'd go 65". More engaging to watch TV and it won't overpower the wall. Might even be able to go 70" though the selection at that size isn't as great.

Now you can do something light and simple on the right side of the window to balance. A couple more plants, maybe under the TV even. Lots of options without crowding up that wall and keeping the light airiness in the room.

And sorry, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I've sold all sorts of AV and have done installs since college whether it was my main job or now side job for fun. And I've actually done a few similar setups at places with similar wall setups that went with an angled wall mount. So I thought I'd stick my two cents in.

And just not a fan of consoles or built ins overpowering a wall just for a TV unless the TV is to be the major focal point of the room and media viewing is to be the main purpose of the room. So to me the window negates a chunky console.

Now if you were putting a 75" TV on that window wall, I could see the ideas of built ins and building around the tv making it the focal point of the room. Could do in wall left/center/right speakers that integrate with the built ins with a hidden receiver. But I don't think you're going for all that. Hence my less is more comment.

Something like this peerless mount would do the trick. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CA7Z6ZE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_FyN8Fb86WT9R1

There are lesser known brands that will do the same thing for much less on there as well.

• Lindsay

wow thank you all so much!!! I will do some readjusting and send pics.
    I don’t think covering the window and doing built ins is something that would be an option right now

• Lindsay

I tried a few things

• Lindsay

I would get a different corner tv stand... or should I get a lower console and put it under the window

• Susan L

What about one of these big flat panel TV wall units? https://www.houzz.com/products/cabrini-1-8-floating-wall-theater-entertainment-center-white-gloss-prvw-vr~163884170. Just cover the window and pretend it’s not there. No need for a construction project.

Beth H. :

looks off balance in the corner. Do a lower console

and keep it centered under the window.

Then get some type of inset blind (like a blackout or something dark) for the window.

flank the tv w/some type of shelving (Ikea Hack) or bookcase on each side.

if you did something like this, you could hang the tv above the bench in the middle. you have storage for toys and stuff. (or you could do this w/doors on the lower parts

ikea hack. simple and cheap. your tv would hang right above the bench since it will be low (like 19" from the floor)

• Kim

Now that I see how small a space it is from the top of the TV to the bottom of the window, I think that the TV should stay centered under the window. But not on top of your current TV stand. Instead, move the TV stand elsewhere (maybe under the big window if it doesn't block the window). Then place the TV on a lower stand under the current window. It will cost very little- only the price of a used low-height stand. I really think the TV is best centered under that window.

• Amanda Smith

Yes, it looked better centered under the window.

• crogs571

Only issue doing a lower console to fit the tv under the window is you lose the ability to go to a larger TV down the road. And assuming that is a 55", wanting to go larger could be highly probable. 65" seems to be the minimum for main viewing. Many are upgrading in size and putting the 55 elsewhere. Even 70 and 75" are becoming more popular especially as many arwatching more movies a home and going to the theater less (or not at all right now). My mom,who I had to fight tooth and nail just to go to 50" from the ancient 46" I gave her, is now saying the 50" looks small. She's actually raised the pictures behind te TV in anticipation of going up to 65. Guessing the fact she's watched movies on my 135" screen and then my sister's 75" in the family room (and even the LR is at 65"), probably makes it tough to go back home to a 50" screen. Even people I've done installs for and swore up and down 55 was plenty big, have come back to me a year or two later and said they should've gone bigger.

I wouldn't put any non corner console in the corner. It definitely won't look right. That's why I'd do a wall mount and keep things to a minimum in the corner. Easy to balance out then with something in the other corner.

• Lindsay

Thanks all. I have to say my photos look a lot different then it does in person.
    I live in an old brick rancher so it’s a small space I’m worried these big shelving units will feel too heavy for the space.

• Val B

If this were my room, I would probably get a low console that fits along the length of the entire small window wall and then mount the tv to the left of the window on an articulating arm. I would then put the sofa on the long window wall and a chair where you have the sofa now. I don’t love the feel of the way the sofa is floating now - it feels like it’s blocking off the room. Then figure out some floating shelves or art to go to the right of the small window.

Beth H. :

no one is telling you to put heavy shelving units in there. they're photoshopped just to give you ideas about the look. (and you have a rather heavy looking sofa, a larger coffee table and a thick ceiling fan. balancing those out w/a wall of bookcases isn't going to make anything 'too heavy' )

I've personally given you at least 10 diff options, including open shelving, cubbies or ikea hacks. all of which are not heavy looking. (a few were, but that's if you closed off the window) the others were some Ikea which are very light and shallow. Have you bothered to even research any of them on dimensions? Pinterest has an entire heading under Ikea hacks.

That console you have, trying to fit in a corner or under the window is far heavier looking because it's out of proportion to the empty parts of the wall.

you're asking for advice and we're all trying to give it to you. If your console worked, you wouldn't be here asking for help! You can't stick that tv on one side and expect it to look good. it's not going to. If you want to ignore all of the good advice thrown at you, , it's your house and your wall!

• Lindsay

I love allll the advice!!!!! Not saying that at all.
    Just letting you guys know it isn’t a big space.
    I’m working on sliming down the console table and making it seem lighter in there. The couch is completely off... and it’s not comfortable sitting in there atm!!
    I need to buy pieces but it’s so hard to buy it before knowing!
    I love all the ideas!

• Lindsay

Ok I moved the tv to a bench to get an idea of a lighter weight tv stand

• Amanda Smith

Just make sure whatever stand you get is a good height for tv viewing. If you don’t want shelves on each side, then maybe artwork on each side to create symmetry.

• Lindsay

Do you like the tv lower?

• Val B

TV looks so odd under that little window, in my non-professional opinion. I think you said earlier that you are not in favor of doing this, but I would move the sofa to be in front of the large window and then mount the TV (without a console underneath) on the opposite wall between the light switch and the opening to the other room. You could do another sofa or two chairs on the wall with the little window (or I would personally do a sectional that spans the 2 window walls - but people on Houzz hate those, I personally find it so comfortable for lounging with my family and watching TV).

• Salina

You're not going to convince anyone that the tv will look good under that little window. It just does not look good no matter which way you try to slice it unfortunately.

• eveuchan

Why not hang matching drapes there and keep them closed? Make sure each end of the rod is at least 12” from side of window.

• Jeanne Cardwell

If you get an attractive long low console table it will look great. The bottom of our tv screen is only 6 inches from the floor and we love it, very comfortable on the neck both sitting and lying on the sofa. When you decorate the entire wall it will all come together.

Beth H. :

compared to this? it looks better.

obviously that white console thing isn't looking good because it's not long enough.

If you had an actual floating console or some other type,

and put and actual shade or blind over the window, it would better. it works because it's centered.

you could do a tall plant in one corner and some cubbies and chair in the other.

or maybe two smaller chests w/art above them.

you know what might also work? If you removed all the trim and sill from that window and did a solar shade in the same color as the wall. at least then it would visually disappear.

• S D

Hi Lindsay - I think the feel of the room might be an issue in putting the couch in front of the window and having the walkway separating the room. Your furniture and paint colors indicate that you like colors from nature and a cozy feel to the room - but you want to have interest. The proportions of the items in the room need some variety. I suggest to leave the TV under the small window for now to see how you like viewing it from that angle. I would move the couch closer to the TV and position it partially under the rug ( a suggestion from another poster) and have the rug oriented the same as the couch if possible. I suggest a bamboo screen - (for an example see the Pier 1 website) placed in the corner next to the TV (left as facing the TV) and putting your plant with the bamboo pot on the other side. A screen could be used when you want to block off part of the room. I would consider painting the blades of the ceiling fan the ceiling color- but if you do, put the blades back on the same stem - I was advised to do that when I painted mine as the blades might be warped from use and should go back the same way to maintain balance. Also, I would consider painting the closet door behind the couch either the same as the rest of the room - including the door molding or paint the wall behind the couch white to match the door. I think you need to define the borders of the room and the closet door and paint color is breaking up that wall giving it too much focus. Below the window I would have a long-low table/bookcase (not taller than the window) with a variety of plants, picture books or family photos sitting on top and the end of the bookcase close enough to use as an end table for drinks and/or a light - a piece not too deep and open legged so you don't block your heater (best if you can create your own that clears both sides of the heater). Your chair could be on the other side of the window next to the window table - also a place to put a drink. A tall light behind it (mentioned by another posted would help to define the space. A loose-skirted slipcover in a solid cover would make a nice change or a colorful seasonal throw. Lots of great ideas offered by others and a few repeated here. Before making a big change I would find the layout that is most comfortable for TV watching.

• Kim

Hi Lindsay, I like it how you have it now. Just replace that bench with a low console and I think it will look great!

• Becky

I have to say my photos look a lot different then it does in person.

I have zero design skills, but I own several of the Ikea pieces that @Beth H. : used as examples above. Those should not feel too heavy in your room. In general, Ikea shelving is narrower than traditional shelving. I personally think you're on the right track keeping the TV centered under the window. I suggest you ask the designers for guidance on what size console they recommend to replace the bench...maybe tell them the size of the TV & the dimensions of the bench as a starting point. I also think flanking the window with 2 shelving units will help balance the space.

• partim

Painting that one wall a dark colour will help the TV blend in. Then add light coloured wall art to draw the eye away from the TV. I took the colour from the adjacent room and darkened it to a darker green. I might even go darker.

The way you have it now, the contrast between the black TV and the pale wall really makes the TV pop. Not what you want. You could choose any dark colour but a dark green would tie the 2 rooms together.

• Shawna Rushford

That is one shifty tv! Cracking me up with all of it’s movements.

Beth H. :

lindsay,,,,just saw this photo and it reminded me of your space

ignore the sofa placement, but look at the little console under the window! See the shallow bookcases they have? They cluttered and messy looking, but you could do something similar.

remember I said to do a solar shade on the window in the same color as the wall? same thing they did hear. once you get rid of the shutters, it will make the window look less heavy.

blinds.com is a good place for solar shades.

• lcdsmith

Building on these ideas. A darker wall and lower console would help. Also the art idea is brilliant. The shutters match the others so would leave those.

• Lindsay

Thank you!!! Loving all these ideas.
    Beth not sure if I should go with the two high bookcase or the small ones.. we moved the couch back, where our Christmas tree was

• Amanda Smith

Is that arrangement comfortable for tv viewing?

Beth H. :

you'd need something that is wide enough to fit those areas.

or, you could do something like matching chests and hang art above them.

last thing you want are 'cubbies' stuffed with toys and clutter. that's not going to look very nice. you'd have to look around online to see what you like. measure the distance and try and find something that's at least 3/4 of the width.

or do a nice chair on the left and chest or book shelf on the right. or a large, tall plant.

diff ways to do it.

or, get a couple of these benches. hang some shelves above them. or art

couple of shallow tables. hang art. put a lamp on them. whatever

• Lindsay

Should I have a tv stand built long just for the tv or add the shelving?
    Beth, I think shallow is the key word... I don’t want anything bulky, so I have to make sure to emphasize that with the builder. WhT do you think of the ones below?

• Lindsay

And I moved another piece...

• Lindsay

So I think this works?? Think of a shallow table.. like the one in the picture Beth..

Dream Design

Greetings From Dream Design,

As per your Requirements we are suggestion you some ideas

-You can mount the TV on the window wall if you don't want to show that window and hang the pendant lights to the left it will highlight your wall

see the pic reference

Beth H. :

I like the depth of that left one. you don't want anything too bulky though.

I also like the idea of doing a floating media cabinet beneath your TV, similar to that one dream design posted in the first pic. Since you don't have a lot of room between floor and bottom of tv, it has to be proportional. a floating one might work.

I think wayfair has one like this. sits on the ground, but it's still low enough for you. look at the corner space. that's all you need. some art, a taller plant. Do put anything bulky in your corner spots if you're doing a media console like these

those other wood tv consoles you posted pics of, how tall are they?? you have to take the measurement and your tv measurement. (unless you want the tv to sit higher than the window sill)

what do you have , 12-16" from the floor to the tv? I think those that you pictured are too tall.

here's some other ideas. these are Ikea hacks

I don't know which cab of theirs this is, but they topped it w/their own DIY wood top

this would be perfect for you. get a floor lamp like this for the corner, do the low console (it's minimal and clean looking), get a few simple accessories. For the other corner you could do a simple side chair or Tall tree plant in a pot.

or like this one. do the art on one side, a plant, mirror or light on the other.

or, span the entire wall with one of the hacks like this one. simple, easy.

etagere for the corner.

simple Besta topped w/wood

Besta

this one is short enough so that you could mount it just above the baseboard heght

so this one is the Besta Eket cabinet combo. tons of DIY hacks w/these online. This would be perfect across that wall. (try painting the wall a darker color too

do the shelves off to one side. bring in pictures/art.

Ok, that's it. This is all I got!! I've said all I can say and suggested all I can suggest.

don't do bulky. I like these latest pics for your dilemma. pick one and try it.

(the Besta units come in diff colors)

• Lindsay

Thank you so much Beth!!! I will update you with what we do!

• felizlady

Having both wood shutters and Venetian blinds in the same room seems “off” to me.
    If the console will fit between the window and the left wall, I would try it there. Put the curtains back on the rod. If you keep the tv on the console, center the tv on the console:
    don’t put it into the corner.

• Lindsay

Trying to visualize.....
    I don’t like the floating shelf idea, so it’s either a long console- do I get one to reach across the entire wall ? Or just part way?

• Lindsay

Or two slightly higher sides

• Amanda Smith

A low console going across the entire wall would be great. Large artwork on both sides.

• mjd232

Following.