Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta E 2020 ...........

Lets see some Es today

SorryNotSorry

Comments (41)

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    3 years ago

Empress Wu started to thrive only after I cut down an apple tree next to it and it gets more light.

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    3 years ago

I got ’Eskimo Pie’ 8 yrs ago and it is really slow grower - but so beautiful!

’El Nino’ is another favourite, standing here in front of young ’Blueberry Muffin’

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    3 years ago

Yes I did click on the picture :)

Onto the E's

Earth Angel

Emerald Ruff Cut- I love this one but the slugs do too.

Emerald Tiara

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    3 years ago

Part 2

Empress Wu

Empress Wu

Eternal Flame

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

Elegans in the ground, but turning yellow/green in too much sun - hopefully she grows a lot in that location and then the tree starts to give more shade. Either way, I just love Elegans- have to smile and sigh every time I look at her.

And I’m pretty sure that is Erie Magic in the pot next to her (unless it’s the funny NOID that I rescued last spring).

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    3 years ago

Earth Angel

Elegans

Empress Wu

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I fell for it too!

EMPRESS WU

EL NINIO

ELVIS LIVES

EMERALD ROUGHCUT

EMMITT ARMITAGE

EYE DECLARE

ELSIE’S SMILE. Potomac Pride seedling that I named after my late wife.

• mae (zone 5b On)
    3 years ago

English Sunrise in the spring

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

All beautiful.

I dream that my Elegans will become as gorgeous as all of yours.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Elegans is the best. She blooms in the spring while she is serenely blue.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Earth Angel, 3-4years old. My biggest hosta.

May 8, 2020

Just emerged in early April (note that Brother Stefan to the right had not yet unfurled). 4/18/20.

6/25/20

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

I did the math and I'm staying home 😀..the happiest photo is great..it made me smile 🙂..my Empress Wu is declining so I didn't take pics..I'm moving it before it disappears..I have lots of Elegans..lots of seedlings in the path..I've heard others say their Elegans have lots of seeds too..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Electrocution in white pot.

Etched Glass right after arrival fall 2019

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Earth Angel and Electrocution

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    3 years ago

Elegans doing her thing

• mbug_gw
    3 years ago

I clicked 3 times......

Only 2 E's.....

Earth Angel 6-6-20

Envy 5-13-20

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    3 years ago

Nicholsworth, my empres Wu did the same thing. Actually split into three separate crowns. One died . I moved the other to to more sun and they have grown very large in just three years.

3 years ago

sunnywood..good to know..I should've known better..I had a fantasy that Wu would be gigantic and even though it's planted in back I could see it from the street looking through my side yard..but the area is shady..it surely has tree roots..I'm mad at myself for not moving it sooner..but life is hard Lol..

• hosta_maker
    3 years ago

Emerald tiara streak

ephemeral lace

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

My only E worth a photo, Elegans. I’m drooling over the lovely Emerald Rough Cuts I see here. Mine is struggling . I put it in a pot. Hope it survives, it’s such a lovely specimen.

Sherry

• beverlymnz4
    3 years ago

Well, here they are again.

Electrocution

Earth Angel

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

I was never great in math, so I can’t imagine who thought up the travel destination gimmick. And that happy picture is just sooooooo cute and happy......love it!

laura, love your Eskimo Pie......that one is new to me and good thing you removed the apple tree because your EW is looking great!

beth, Empress Wu in bloom is so pretty and I am waiting for my Eternal Flame to get as big as yours.

windymess, I love Elegans too, it’s one of my biggest hostas and your funny little NOID looks like my funny little NOID, haha.

peren, oh my, hard water spots, tsk, tsk! :-) Your El Niño and Emerald Rough Cut are real beauties.

sunnywood, your hostas look great...... I like yourEmerald Ruff Cut and admire the color of Elsies Smile. Never seen her before but she’s quite beautiful!

Nicholsworth I also clicked the “video” haha! It must be nice to have a lot of Elegans!

shadow are those Elegans seedings under the mama plant?

mbug——I envy your Envy! Your Earth Angel is beautiful!

hosta_maker, Your Ephemeral Lace has great coloring

sherrygirl, the color on your Elegans has such lovely color, is it early in the season?

Debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Here are my few Es:

Debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Couple more:

Emerald Tiara

Debra

• old_dirt 6a
    3 years ago

Yeah! I'm going to Australia (with today being E's, it's what I got in math).

Envy

El Nino

Electrocution

Eye Candy

• old_dirt 6a
    3 years ago

A few more

Easy To Love

Elegans - Not this year

Empress Wu - Disappointing year, not near what it was last year - maybe more sun?

Earth Angel - still only one shoot after four years :(

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Elegans

3 years ago

oursteelers..well the Colts won 🙂..in the playoffs but we're nervous Lol..

I love Elegans..do you get seedlings?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

nw, I think I must do something wrong. I’ve never gotten a seedling from any hosta and I wish I would! The only way I get babies is by ripping them apart :(

haha, I’m always nervous! Most of the games I have my eyes closed at crucial times. Their two SuperBowl winning seasons since I’ve been a fan we had to buy the DVD’s so I could see everything. Good luck to you guys!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Debra, yes my Elegans was an early season photo.

Nicholsworth, I get seedlings every season from my Elegans.

Sherry

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    3 years ago

Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

And here's my lone 'E', a couple of pots of 'Earth Angel'.

Pieter

ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida thanked Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    3 years ago

oursteelers..I have one thought..are you extremely neat? Lol..if the scapes are clipped before they bloom (my neighbors clip all scapes as soon as they appear) you wouldn't have seeds..I really don't know much about seeds..

sounds like you really enjoy the games 😂😂😂..I tell my husband..relax!..whatever happens happens..it'll be ok..🙂

Sherry..are the seedlings just too cute?..I hope to move some of my bigger ones..

Pieter..you got me 😂..I tapped your "video" ..

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    3 years ago

I KNEW I'd catch somebody, sorry 'bout that but I just couldn't resist after the monkey one...

Pieter

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 years ago

Paula, the jokes are great. I especially liked the happy pair and the destination one. Yes, I clicked on the other one too!

I have two Earth Angels. This one is in a pot.

and this one is in the ground.

El Nino wasn't growing well for me in a pot. I trimmed back the euonymus bushes (on the right) and voila! there was a place to plant it now!

I didn't get a good shot of Elegans this year. I think the leaf on the right got damaged by falling branches. The other leaf was attacked by a cutworm. I found him!

Here is Emerald Necklace, upper right. (I don't like where my husband sticks the solar lights!)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Hmmm, maybe I’ll try to leave the scapes up longer. For me they are an “easy” chore. Just grab a pair of clippers and snip snip as I wander through the garden but I do often leave them on the ground as a compost of sorts

3 years ago

oursteelers..like my neighbors I like hostas without the scapes too..but for pollinators, fragrance, seeds etc I resist the urge to clip..

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    3 years ago

The Empress.

We have 2 of them, one in the ground and this one in a hypertufa pot we call Empress. Why call the pot Empress? Well, it's like this. My wife and I manufactured an assortment of hypertufa pots and offered them for sale @ a local nursery and to make identification and pricing simpler we gave names to the different styles. This one just told us its name was Empress.... We have 2 of these pots in our front yard, each of them bolted to a rotting tree stump.

Pieter

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 years ago

Oursteelers, I have tended to cut scapes off in the past because I found them to be unattractive---especially the long leggy ones. But since I learned that the birds like to eat the seeds, I have only removed a few stalks prematurely. I didn't get seedlings until I left the scapes for a longer time. I have seen seedlings from Elegans, Blue Cadet and I am not sure where the other few have come from. It's fun to see them in the spring. They're just so tiny and cute.

Very attractive hypertufa pot Pieter!

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

Earth Angel has so many different faces and they all look great. One of my first Hosta but has been getting smaller the last couple years. I think its an issue with bacterial leaf blight. It looks so delicious after unfurling.

Extasy in the middle

Envy is such a good name for that Hosta since I don't have one (yet). Eskimo Pie looks good enough to eat. Elsie's Smile is a winner. Emerald Ruff Cut did great for me the first couple years, then just completely tanked. Maybe it will bounce back next year.

• dianefw
    3 years ago

Two of my E hostas taken in September. Elegans has been producing offspring heavily for years. Some appear to have crossed with Paul's Glory. Round leaves, light colored. Will be interesting to see what they look like as mature plants.

Earth Angel is relatively young. Was just put in ground this year.