Shop Products
hzdeleted_19697995

Ideas for a terrarium?

Hi there!

I have in mind for my little study desk a terrarium to house succulents. Anyone with experience with terrariums? Thanks!

• 3 years ago

Thank you! You are all around very knowledgeable. I鈥檓 intent on a terrarium as I don鈥檛 want my desk to get messy. I am going through your suggestions and will pick one. Can a terrarium have more than one plant in there?

• 3 years ago

"Can a terrarium have more than one plant in there?"

Sure!! At least to start with :-) Pick small starter plants to begin with but be prepared to do some removing and replanting as they grow and get bigger.

• 3 years ago

It will be a small to medium sized terrarium. The ones you suggested look kind of large?

• 3 years ago

鈥淧ick small starter plants to begin with but be prepared to do some removing and replanting as they grow and get bigger.鈥 Does this mean I can trim them or would I have to replace?

• 3 years ago

They can all get large in time. But if you start with the 2" starter pots of houseplants, you've got a while to go before that happens!

All plants will continue to grow.....until they die. It is never a once and done situation with planting a houseplant. Eventually any houseplant will need to be repotted to a larger sized container or divided and replanted or root pruned. Trimming or pruning to maintain a small size is seldom effective with most houseplants.

User thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 3 years ago

I鈥檝e settled on a terrarium in which there will be white sand, an air plant (tillandsia), reindeer moss and a starfish for fun :-)

• 3 years ago

Hiii! If you really want a terrarium with succulents, I suggest doing a large bowl (with drainage holes). I鈥檝e also used a round vase as a terrarium with multiple drainage layers and have had some success. They initially lost some leaves but after a couple of months they plumped back up. I have a half bowl with glass hanging around waiting for something to be planted in it.

User thanked Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b
  • 3 years ago

Thank you! Your terrariums are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I lost my green thumb (if that鈥檚 even an expression) and I鈥檓 trying to get beginner type houseplants. So far everything I鈥檝e had from the previous apartment have died. As for my current apartment, I鈥檓 not able to grow or really maintain anything without some great effort. I started off small with a floor plant (Snake plant). After reading Gardengal48 comment and doing some research, I don鈥檛 think I can sustain succulents given the layout of my apartment, and also the fact I do not get any sunlight in the spot where I plan to put the terrarium. I鈥檝e stuck to an air plant, some Japanese moss, white sand and a starfish (for fun). When I have gotten the hang of caring fir and maintaining plants here I will definitely give the succulents a try. I had my eye on them for quite awhile.

• 3 years ago

Thank you! I was in your same situation when I was in an apt. I had almost no windows. Now that i've moved into a house it's been like plant central! My fianc茅 loves it (sarcasm). Look into getting a pothos! It should do pretty well in your growing environment, I'm propagating a couple of cuttings from a co-worker's pothos at the moment. They're super easy to grow and low maintenance. Good luck! :)

• 3 years ago

Yeah, a pothos is practically indestructible (and why it showed up on my plant list) and looks downright tropical. It's not sensitive to low light levels, oddball humidity (mine survives dry PA gas heat air in winter just fine), forgetting to water (picture me looking innocent), and so on.

Dislike the vines (since you said you had one but didn't have room for those)? Just twist them back into the central bowl, and layer them into the soil. They'll re-root as new plants and break off. Or cut them away and discard them, or start new plants and stick them right back into the pot until that's full.

I don't let mine get all viney either as the pot I have it in is nice. Once the center was full, I cut them away and discard.

You can even water-root them in a nice bottle or jug and grow them that way. It's not optimal, but they're really not sensitive plants.

Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars154 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource