Software
Houzz Logo Print
traciel

Spanish bungalow walls fixer upper - Smoothing Plaster walls

5 years ago

Interested in buying an old Spanish bungalow fixer upper. How do you create smooth walls in 1925 bungalow? Plaster or demo/drywall?


Comments (16)

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    IMO remove and replace with new drywall will in the long run be much cheaper than trying to smooth those walls. The sad part will be losing those nice curved ceiling to wall joint but from what I see in your idea books probably not really your style anyway.The bonus will be you can get proper lighting done at the same time as the demolition. Can you post some pics of the exterior too .

    traciel thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 5 years ago

    Haha. I appreciate the check writing as an adult. When I bought my first home 30 years ago, my husband and I refinished hardware floors after purchasing a how to video. Not anymore. I appreciate skilled labor and craftsmanship.

  • 5 years ago

    A good plasterer should not have to do any sanding. All the guys who have ever done work for me are once and done, leaving perfect finishes.

    I'm normally not a fan of textured walls, but your house looks like the real deal and completely appropriate to the structure. It has character now, it won't after you make everything smooth and square.

    traciel thanked rwiegand
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    skim coat would look so good, and it seems from this photo that only the walls need to be fixed. if the walls had the same slight texture that the ceiling does, it would be beautiful, especially with those curves. very organic feeling. once done, I'd paint that room a creamy matte white. drywall would be so plain and boring by comparison.

    it's a beautiful house! if you like everything else about it, I say go for it.

    traciel thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    oh also, since only the walls need to be fixed, you could add a picture rail to help with the transition between walls and ceiling.

    it's really hard to hang art on plaster, so you might want that anyway. and also helps transition if you want to pant your walls and ceiling different colors.



    traciel thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    @Patricia Colwell Consulting I haven't purchased the house. Looking at possibly purchasing. Here are photos of the outside and inside.






    It is in really poor shape. Would need all new systems, etc... No heating other than small wall heater in living room, etc...


  • 5 years ago

    The curved walls definitely give the house some character. It also makes the two rooms more defined. If you want to open up that area, I can see why that wall annoys you. I would do the skimming and the picture rail, primarily to add to the adorableness of your little Spanish cottage. It has tremendous potential to be charming.

  • 5 years ago

    traciel: OMG it's so cute!!! so much charm!

  • 5 years ago

    @RedRyder I walls has the thickest rustic plaster I have ever seen in life. It might be so glaring because of they owner didnt use flat or eggshell paint. I would like perhaps painting it matt as suggested by @User would make it less disturbing. While a Santa Barbara style plaster would be preferred, it would acceptable if it was toned down like this photo


    I am dangerous now that my daughter taught me to use screen shot. lol

  • 5 years ago

    I would not do anything except buy that house and enjoy it! It oozes Spanish charm. To smooth it all out and make it look like that all white photo would take all the charm away. If you don't like the Spanish bungalow look with all its rustic charm, pass on this one and leave it for someone who appreciates it.

    traciel thanked Tara
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    that's what I was just thinking. maybe something as simple as painting everything matte. if the texture is still bugging you, add the picture rail so the transition between texture and smooth is better. it would be the simplest and least expensive solution!

    traciel thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    I second putting up picture rail molding.

    Our 1950s home had plaster walls with orange peel and lots and LOTS of holes from hanging things. I retextured the walls and ceilings (I hate orange peel with a passion) and then installed picture rail molding. In the front room we painted it to match the other molding and then in the dining and bedrooms the same color as the walls.

    traciel thanked aziline
  • 5 years ago

    Just came back from second viewing of the house. The wall texturing wasn't original because it appeared to be wall board with a heavy texture applied to it. I now know this because the wall board was peeling away from the wall. Picture frosting melting off a cake. So I assume the real wall texture is more like the ceiling. Or the white picture I posted.

  • 5 years ago

    that might be an easier fix then. remove the board, and repair any damage left behind. (although, easier said than done, IKR?) are you still thinking about putting in an offer? that house is so adorable, I wouldn't let the wall texture stop me!

    traciel thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    @User That was my thought regarding the wall restoration. However, I have decided the layout of the house, permitting issues and condition is more of a problem than the texture. The house was originally 871 sq feet and expanded to 1230 sq feet by adding a master bedroom off the kitchen. It is basically a 50 x 24 shotgun house that would take too much money to properly reconfigure so I am going to pass.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio