Software
Houzz Logo Print
emilie_vellacott

Door hardware - worth spending on knobs and levers?

5 years ago

Currently building a home, and trying to decide what type of door hardware we’d like. I’m loving Emtek knobs and levers with rosettes but the high price tag makes me nervous... should I bother investing in that or going for more affordable nice hardware such as Schlage or Weiser... would love opinions. I don’t want to have regrets!

Comments (15)

  • 5 years ago

    Go with Emtek. Our architect specified Emtek but as I was out of the country a different brand was used. I let it go because a lot of stuff was happening all at once and I needed to pick my battles. I am replacing all my hardware this spring.

  • 5 years ago

    I went with Emtek and happy I did. The weight is just right and feels good in the hand. I wanted a modern look for this house and this style fit the bill. Expensive? Yes, but I’ll never need to replace. The returns were easy to do if you order through your local store. It would help us to help you if you told us what the style of your house is.

  • 5 years ago

    Only worth spending if you appreciate them. I do and did. But most people could care less. ( I can tell when I occasionally see what the vandals who have bought my homes do to them subsequently.)

  • 5 years ago

    @Sammy, I had so much fun decorating this home! We have a few punch list items left to complete and stories to go along with a reveal.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    To your quandary, @Em, I say if it makes you happy and you can afford it, then, of course it’s worth it! It’s really like anything else in life, no? Besides, Emtek is what I would consider to be a sturdy, upper-mid-range in price but high-level in quality, brand. Yes, it’s more expensive than Weiser or Schlage, but it’s not Rocky Mountain Hardware-level expensive. Bottom line: I think it’s money well spent. Regarding the doors themselves, make sure you “splurge” on solid-core, even if that core is MDF. My house has the basic molded, six-panel-style doors with simulated wood grain and I really dislike the way they feel. You can’t even slam them that’s how light they are! 🤬😜 Replacing them—and all the hardware—is on my to-do list for this Spring. My kitchen doors, including two pantries, already got the upgrade when I remodeled the kitchen, and the difference in how they look, but more importantly, how they feel, is night and day.

  • 5 years ago

    You can’t even slam them that’s how light they are!

    And if you throw a temper tantrum...

    !

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    You touch your door knobs multiple times a day, get the best you can afford. My last two personal homes and most of my clients homes have emtek throughout. They are worlds different from entry level hardware.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Current house came with Emtek that are now 20 years old. Majority of the knobs and levers are now loose/wobbly. Have had a couple of locksmiths, contractors, and my very handy father, look at them, take them apart, and there is no fixing them, only replacement. The front door Emtek set broke last year and there was no fixing that either. It was replaced with a new one.

    The question is, would a cheaper brand have lasted less, more, or the same?

    If I replace, I might look at Baldwin. Our previous house had Baldwin and they felt more solid, better quality, than the Emtek.

  • 5 years ago

    We have Emtek in our primary house and our weekend house. All have held up great.

  • 5 years ago

    We have Emtek and they look lovely but they are not holding up to the wear and tear of our three kids. The front door and the garage door in particular the handle sags. We have tightened several times. They look amazing and all the other ones are awesome.

  • 5 years ago

    I was disappointed our builder used Schlage and didn’t want to pay the price for Emtek like i had in my condo. 2 years later and I can’t tell the difference EXCEPT for the exterior doors. Those I wish I had splurged on better quality

  • 5 years ago

    We have Emtek round knobs and round rosettes In flat black. Levers are more aging friendly but I like knobs..so I chose knobs.


    they were a little spendy but are better quality than the bravura I used in my last house which were just as spendy. Thought about Baldwin but at some point you have to stop hemorrhaging money and I think this may have been my point.


    no little kids other than frequent grandchildren visits. They have held up very well so far.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    We have Schlage and I love them! Make sure you order them through your builder. Don't buy them at a big box store I think they get a deal on mass production of a cheaper style. I have some pretty crystal Baldwin knobs on my daughters closet door and they are fabulous but very pricey. We didn't have the budget to do that for the whole house!

  • 5 years ago

    Here is our Schlage hardware.


    We did a lever for the garage entrance since I’m carrying groceries in.