Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosine

Kitchen backsplash niche

5 years ago

What are your design thoughts for niches above a kitchen range? I have a 48” range and would like to have this niche for a few oil bottles and a salt bowl.




Comments (28)

  • 5 years ago

    Should you be reaching across a hot stove top for salt and oil? And have you considered how difficult that area will be to clean? I would not do this.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Just a really silly idea but then IMO so are accent walls behind ranges unless you have a huge Tuscan kitchen preferably in Tuscany.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I have to be careful when I reach across the range to clean the back splash because I have accidentally bumped the knobs on the front of the range and turned on the flame. I would not put anything I needed to reach for regularly in that location. What about pull outs on either side of the range to access your oils?

  • 5 years ago

    The oil will not be happy with the extreme heat it will get. I did a pot filler behind my 48" , it looks really nice to have something there.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Consider the number of times you wipe down behind the stove. In addition, you’ll have to clean these as well. In looking at inspiration kitchens, you won’t see very many niches and for a good reason. Store oil and salt on a tray nearby (see below) but if it was to create interest, boards are cute and not a permanent decision and can be easily moved when cooking.


  • 5 years ago

    Not safe. I wouldn’t put anything there and if you’re remodeling, don’t do this “niche”. It’s a hazard and a dirt holder. What’s wrong with leaving it blank? Just have a gorgeous backsplash that is easy to clean and elevates the look of your kitchen. If it’s part of your current kitchen, just ignore it or put something non-flammable and non-edible back there.

  • 5 years ago

    i had a pot filler in my last house that I didn’t use. My sink in the new kitchen will be close enough that a pot filler is not necessary. I was thinking the niche would also add some dimension to the large backsplash space above the 48” range.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I understand, we all use our kitchens differently. Yes, the space behind a 48" range is large...spend extra time on getting that design right. Good luck! ....Do you have windows near by?



  • 5 years ago

    My mother in law has a straight across shelf, which I think works really well, is easy to clean, and either way, getting injured does not seem to be an issue. If you look on Alice Lane's instagram, they use the shelf idea frequently. Good luck.

  • 5 years ago

    No windows or open shelves on the wall. Just tall cabinets. My husband (with long arms) loves cooking and he likes having things within arms reach.

  • 5 years ago

    Oils should be stored in cool, dark locations. Heat and sunlight degrade oil causing it to turn rancid as it oxidizes, causing "oxidation rancidity."

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6218649/

    https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/store_olive_oil_to_avoid_spoilage_and_maintain_nutritional_quality

  • 5 years ago

    Not exactly on topic, but why do you see wood cutting boards behind a stovetop that will get greasy and dusty? I tend to use cuting boards near a sink.

  • 5 years ago

    Niche behind the range is dated. The reasons it became dated have been mentioned in this thread - having to reach across hot pans and pots, and the heat from cooking ruining what is kept in the niche. I'd add that a niche adds cleaning chores that no one wants - the bottles and jars in the niche will get greasy and spattered and you have to clean them. And, instead of just wiping a flat plane of a backsplash to clean it, now you have 4 additional surfaces and corners that will need cleaning, and you'll have to reach far to do it.

  • 5 years ago

    Do the tall stainless backguard with warming shelf if you want “interest”. You’ll need a backguard anyway.

  • 5 years ago

    We have a stainless warming shelf above our range top although I don't put any bottles on it as it isn't solid. We use it every single day especially with the hood warming lights. A shelf like this would be much easier keep clean than the niche and shouldn't block flow to the hood if you do your high heat cooking on the front burners.

    St. Francis Woods Residence · More Info


    Bleeker · More Info


    Magnificant Historical Home Rumson NJ · More Info








  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    so these are what you like?






    I happen to like how they look. but from a cooking standpoint, bad place for oils and spices. (unless you go through a bottle of olive oil in 1-2 weeks!)

    If you don't use the stove a lot and like the look, fine.

    if you remove the oil bottles before you cook, fine.

    Just like any stove backsplash, it will get greasy w/use. I actually keep a wood cutting board propped up against mine just to make cleaning easier. (I have marble tile)

    I love the look of this one. the marble is stunning, the shelf is high enough and you can place the delicates off to one side.


  • 5 years ago

    I though this was a really cool idea and helps address the splashing/mess from cooking. This was a kitchen featured in several houzz articles.

  • 5 years ago

    Plus you may be able to find some high quality remnant pieces to use to create the sliding doors.

  • 5 years ago





    This is what I am envisioning. I really don’t mind a quick daily wipe down. Good point about the dated niches of the Tuscany kitchens. I am going for a clean, minimal backsplash with a niche to give some dimensional interest. I may have to keep the oils off the shelf- but should be able to add pretty salt/pepper bowls. Also, I can just leave the niche empty and let the Miele range take the spotlight.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    you could, but that defeats the purpose of having the niche! would look weird empty.

    but if you just want something simple and clean for your shakers, you could do a simple one.










    or do something like this and display diff items


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I just about spit my smoothie out when I saw the price of those gorgeous swan bowls!...ok, I see now, they are not the $500 set ;)

  • 5 years ago

    Where did you see the swan bowls? Please.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Well those swan bowls will either be greasy or the salt will be stuck together because of condensation from cooking. No niche.

  • 5 years ago

    It looks gorgeous Rosine! That backsplash is 😍😍😍

  • 5 years ago

    Love the niche!!

    rosine thanked Mary T