klf2

Adding Winter Interest with Arborvitaes

KF

Poison ivy riddled some of our shrubs this summer so out they all went! At the time, I was undecided about what I wanted to put in their place, but as winter has set in, I definitely feel like the landscaping is needing some evergreen winter interest. After watching many videos from Garden Answer's YouTube channel, I've fallen in love with a few varieties of Arborvitae shrubs due to their soft-looking foliage and vibrant color:

• Fluffy (Thuja plicata)
  • Anna's Magic Ball (Thuja occidentalis)
  • Golden Globe (Thuja occidentalis)

I did a mock-up of how these shrubs would work in our current design. What are your thoughts? Are there any considerations I should make in using these plants? Is something missing, especially when summer color fades?

I am in Zone 6 and this area south-facing. We did just plant a hedge of Bloomstruck Endless Summer Hydrangeas on both sides of the house and the front door is flanked by Knockout Roses. I can't wait for those hydrangeas to fill in over the next few years! There would be room to sprinkle in existing perennials for pops of color in front of where the Anna's Magic Ball is placed in the mock-up. Clematis can stay.

With Summer Color:

When Summer Color Fades: