Software
Houzz Logo Print
axeman101

Need an architect or a structural engineer

13 years ago
When I did our basement six years ago I was given a quote for almost 20k to turn our existing half height basement into a walkout. The foundations are about 5 foot deep so we would need to excavate down and pour deeper ones if we cut 4 ft down into them to put a door in the existing ones. I skipped it but I haven't totally given up on the idea.

Now we are thinking of expanding our deck and I am wondering if there is a good opportunity to add an additional room or 3rd car garage under the new deck that also has the walkout access to the rear yard. The existing foundation wall would now be an interior foundation wall protected from any kind of frost heave issues.

We could also then potentially extend the kitchen and dining room to the edge of where the existing deck is. However that would involve removing the existing exterior supporting wall. I need to find a structural engineer or architect who can give me some idea of the cost involved, is it possible, and what is going to be the most sensible approach. Anyone know of someone reasonably priced who does good work and covers the South Denver area? Or should I be hiring a designer who then brings in their architect or engineer?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio