Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_weeres

what size is this room?

Ashley Weeres
3 years ago

We’re building our dream home and I’m looking for walk in closet sizing ideas. I want it to be big enough for an island.

New Master Bedroom Closet · More Info

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Closetopia
    3 years ago

We did this closet several years ago, and I no longer have the dimensions. I can tell you that this was a secondary bedroom that was adjacent to the master bedroom. The owner opened up a door to the space, and the bedroom became the closet for them. I'm happy to share some rules of thumb when considering how much space you need for an island. Start by keeping in mind that hanging clothing will project 24" into a space from the wall. Also note that optimal space to move around the island and not touch neither fixtures nor clothing in the process is 30" clearance. So imagine you have hanging clothing on two sides of a closet. Because of that, you've already taken up 48". Then think about that 30" clearance on both sides of the island - so you've now taken up another 60". (I've used 24" on each side when we were short on space, and it's not too bad!). Then you have the depth of the island which can run anywhere from 15" for a single sided island to double that or more for a 2-sided island. With all that said, a space that is about 10 1/2' wide is your minimum requirement to comfortably fit an island. Our company is located in the Atlanta area, and if you are building around here we'd love to help. If not, I'm happy to answer some questions for you as you go through the process. You definitely want to get this right the first time! My email is natalie@closetopia.net. Best to you in the process ahead!