Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_440482336

the abyss of a foyer

5 years ago

I need help with what to do with this foyer area. I love the wallpaper but it’s damaged. I’m artsy but timeless. I like the unexpected but in a timeless classic way. I have considered doing wallpaper only on the upstairs hall, stair walkway and the bottom part where the door is and leave the left and right walls to paint only. Any ideas?! I plan to refinish all the cypress wood. They will NOT be painted. I want to stay true to the time of the original architectural elements. I love blue greens. I have considered oyster bay and something like that in color.

Comments (25)

  • 5 years ago

    No advise. Just want to say what a great project. There are many talented people here who are great with wall paper.

  • 5 years ago

    I would remove the wallpaper while you are refinishing the stairs, Paint all one color then decide on a new wallpaper and where to put it.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Definitely remove the wallpaper and paint! (I would never put up wallpaper - ever.)


    I think you would find Oyster Bay to be very dark in that space. I would lighten it up - Sea Salt would be nice.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Highly suggest not splitting up some walls with paint vs wallpaper In the way you mentioned. Hope the ideas below help and let the craftsmanship be appreciated.

    1. Paint choice will compliment the wood and just painting will save you a ton of money and work (once you have removed what’s there, you’ll thank me.)

    Create impact by injecting your creativity in decor choices in hall and with a gallery wall on the staircase.








    2. If deciding on Wallpaper, consider only using on wall heading upstairs and go bold. Paint everywhere else and have fun accessorizing the space.


    Dark or light, depending on how you want entrance to feel






  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It’s an “abyss” because it was designed for functionality and I would keep it that way.

    Personally I would remove the table and especially the table lamp. I would put a full or 3/4 length mirror on that wall and would probably go for an old fashioned coat and hat rack, either attached to the wall or free standing. And a key rac. I’d add a prriod chair so people could remove or put on shoes.

    I would have two rugs, ond good sized one horizontal at the door, and another reaching from the start of the stairs to the rear closet. Maybe something like this



    Surya ART-249 Artist Studio Area Rug, 3' 3' x 5' 3', Camel/Charcoal · More Info


  • 5 years ago


    Benzara BM07627 Rustic Umbrella Stand With Engraved Details, Set Of 2, Brown · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    What a great house.

    I'm not sure I'd split though..if you can afford, I'd wrap the wallpaper around. Then smaller pattern..I mean something akin to what you have now(pity I can't see it, must be fab)

    If some of the walls only..frankly I don't know which I'd choose. Need to think. But then yes, bigger pattern, very bold. I wonder if only one wall-a mural can work? Then it makes sense it's one wall only. I'd choose the one opposite the door then.

    again- I'd prefer to wrap allover, but it's a very big project.

    as for wallpaper itself-I'm a big wallpaper lover, you know as well as me these are so personal. So many gorgeous ones-yet one falls in love with something specific. Start a board here or on Pinterest, if you haven't yet. I have a whole board dedicated to wallpapers etc. Even though my own house is really not suited to them.

    Or if you just paint allover-it's still such a gorgeous entry, with all these details..right paint, and mirror, and light, and art -it'll be breathtaking, wallpaper or not.

  • 5 years ago

    I really like the idea of a bold wallpaper to make it more current. The boldness would set the style and provide a very strong impression when entering. I see this photo is from the listing, are the other objects still there? The table, lamp and mirror?

  • 5 years ago



    Grand Hotel Key Rack · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    I just wanted to chime in and say this kind of project makes my heart skip a beat! I love cypress wood and yours will be beautiful when refinished. Good luck and I'll be following along.

  • 5 years ago

    Not a terribly helpful comment, but your home reminds me of my old one.

    our walls were hand painted with bronzish trefoils.

  • 5 years ago

    Your woodwork is lovely!


    I think it would look great with wallpaper (and you've gotten some great suggestions), but my preference would be to paint it and bring in interest and color with artwork. But then, I love artwork and love shopping for and acquiring artwork, and am close to having more artwork than really fits in my house.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I have an idea, but before you go any further with this renovation, is there any chance the wallpaper is original to the house? Victorian era loved wallpapers and murals.

    Would you take a close up of the paper?

    Is all the paper damaged? Could some be removed and that wall painted?

    If the damage isn’t extensive, could you hang art to cover?

    What is carved in the newel post?

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for your suggestions. I like them! ESP the gallery wall!

  • 5 years ago

    Anna-this was from the listing so it’s bare now.

  • 5 years ago

    Judy- this home was built with salvaged architectural finds. It was built in the early 80’s when wallpaper was all the rage. I love the wallpaper and do have a roll. I plan to use it elsewhere in the home though. Thank you!!

  • 5 years ago

    The jewel post carving was from the previous homeowners friend. It’s an oak leaf

  • 5 years ago

    Only you know how damaged the wallpaper is and where the damage is.

    One of the reasons the foyer looks like an abyss is because there is nothing on the stairway walls.

    Why not put up some artwork or family photos?

    There is nothing wrong with the hallway table, that is an appropriate place for a table.

    I can't see the lamps well, but the lamp shades are very-old fashioned.

    It's one thing to like tradition, it's another thing to have your house look like granny's.

    If you need light in that hallway, then keep the lamps, but replace the shades.

    I would prefer sconces on either side of the mirror.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It isn’t that I don’t believe you, but the house does not look like it was constructed in the 80’s. Salvage would be pieces here and there. How would anyone find a staircase so intact it could be reconstructed.

    Any chance you misunderstood? I was sure I was looking at an 1880’s Victorian.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for not painting beautiful wood.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with the all or nothing school of wallpaper. Just a thought; unless the view behind it is unsightly I'd take the door off of the hinges that is directly behind the hall table to open the sightline. If you like the look you can easily repair the molding. I think it would brighten up your foyer considerably.

  • 5 years ago

    Judy- I didn’t take it that you didn’t believe me. That is the common reaction. This house looks like it was built in the early 1900’s. It’s amazing. They salvaged for 10 years prior to construction. We are currently renovating it. The entire staircase was rescued cypress from somewhere in Alabama. All the wood trim is from a sugarcane plantation. And I have 5 pages of historical architectural elements used in our home. Including 8+ stained glass windows directly from France and Missouri. It’s amazing!! I even have a door from an old French quarter bar room!!

  • 5 years ago

    Loobab- Good point-once I have them painted (because I think that’s what I decided on) with a gallery wall it will look beautiful. Thank you!

  • 5 years ago

    How wonderful that they kept detailed documentation on where items where purchased.


Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio