Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_573804045

Help me know where to start with a big project??

5 years ago

Hello all!


We have a two-story home in Vancouver that is only about 25 years old but was poorly designed and corners were cut. It needs to be upgraded to function (and be safe!!) for our family of four (2 toddlers) + pets. We'd like to renovate the kitchen (which includes removing a major load-bearing wall on the main floor), change flooring throughout the house, and reconfigure the owner's suite upstairs, including moving walls to expand the ensuite bathroom and closet. We also need to replace windows and doors throughout the whole house. Really soon!


I'm overwhelmed.


Questions:


We can't afford to do all of this at once. I'm tempted to hire a local design firm that is super artistic and whose work I absolutely love to provide us with a plan for the whole thing, but I'm at a loss about how to budget for the entire project if we start with a designer instead of a design-build firm or without talking to an engineer or architect. Do I reach out to an architect? A builder? A design-build firm for an estimate to compare? The design firm provided a very loose quote and I don't have a sense of whether its out of range because I can't tell what percentage of the total project should be dedicated to design.


Thanks for any insight! I am seeing such a range of advice on how to begin this process! I love design from afar and creative use of colour, function and flow is really important to me.


Comments (9)

  • 5 years ago

    In my opinion, I would go with an architect. They have the most overall experience for your project. Get referrals from trusted neighbors, friends, family, pastor, lawyer, etc. Tell them everything you've told us, here.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Plus....start a spreadsheet to list all that you need done with their priority, budget, materials and anything else you can think of.

    - We'd like to renovate the kitchen (which includes removing a major load-bearing wall on the main floor)

    - Change flooring throughout the house

    - Reconfigure the owner's suite upstairs, including moving walls to expand the ensuite bathroom and closet.

    - We also need to replace windows and doors throughout the whole house.

  • 5 years ago

    @elaine thanks for this advice. I’m going to do this! @shirlpp thanks! I’m so lost on how to calculate the labour and materials and permits but going to give it my best shot!

  • 5 years ago

    Permits and materials are (I think) their responsibility. Just try to put together some sort of realistic budget.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Hi, Amanda,


    First, let's agree on some terms. Homeowners have budgets for particular project scopes. For example, we'd like to do this and that and our budget is x dollars to do it. Contractors provide estimates of the cost to perform the defined scope of work. The feasibility of implementing a particular project involves a comparison between your budget and the contractor's cost estimate. To be clear, the contractor has no control over your budget and you have no control over his/her estimate for a given project scope.


    Now back to your question. Architects and designers are great resources for, well, design. However, if you want to get a handle on costs, you'll get a more informed answer from a design/build firm or from a remodeling contractor. I suggest you start with some concept sketches (not a fully detailed set of plans, but not a napkin sketch either) which your contractor can use to develop preliminary cost estimates. If your budget and their estimates are reasonably aligned, then proceed with detailed design, engineering and final estimating work as needed to get you to a fixed price contract for each project. If not, you'll need to either defer portions of the project and save more or alter the project scope to bring it within budget range.

  • 5 years ago

    @charles this is extremely helpful. I think that part of my sense of overwhelm is I fear our entire budget (~$225k) could easily be spent on the kitchen if we are not careful. Trades are $$$ here. I really appreciate the suggestion to draw up a couple of sketches and interview a firm or contractor. Only then can I add the design fee to some estimates and get a sense of what is possible.

    If you’re still here, I’m also wondering if design firms typically involve their own architect or engineer if they are producing detailed CAD drawings of everything as part of their design product. I will reach into to this particular firm to ask, but just wondering if you have a sense.

    Thank you!!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Design/build firms will typically have designers and/or architects on staff. Ditto for design-only firms. Typically, both will hire out any engineering to a local engineering firm.


    Remodeling Magazine publishes a Cost vs. Value report each year that reports national and regional pricing for a variety of remodeling projects. It should provide some cost calibration for you. https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2020/

  • 5 years ago

    @charles thank you!! I am thinking the design/build firm route is really a convenient way to go for our project, given the layout reconfigurations. I’m attached to this design firm, though! Is it common to approach a design-build firm for an estimate for the whole project, but negotiate using another firm’s design? Thanks!!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Design/build firms typically work off their own plans, but they may be willing to work off a plan you provide. One of the advantages of a design/build firm is a single point of accountability.
    If you provide the plan, you may find the need to get out your checkbook if errors or omissions are identified at some point during construction.