Software
Houzz Logo Print
gsweeney55

Should I paint?

5 years ago

Hello. I have a very small guest bathroom. It is dated with beige tile, toilet and tub. Right now a complete renovation it out of the question.

Is there anything I could do to make this look a little more appealing? Currently the walls are beige and the vanity and frame around the mirror are all the same color. I was thinking I need to either paint the walls, or perhaps paint the vanity and mirror a darker color? I’m showing a picture of the granite which has browns beiges and some gray in it. Would a gray vanity work?? Or should I go with the medium brown or dark brown? I’m really not good at visualizing these things so I appreciate any advice.

Comments (37)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    First of all, I think ur bathroom looks pretty nice! Your vanity choice is great and the tiles look pretty good, they are a bit dated, but nothing offensive. The wall color looks fine to me, but what I would do is get your tub/shower combo reglazed. It looks to be an almond color that really dates the room. reglazing is also very inexpensive and only costs around 500 bucks, but would really update your shower. In addition, you could paint your vanity like a dark brown almost black, but I really dont think it needs that.

  • 5 years ago

    Your walls are not beige - they are off-white. Painting the walls would make a big impact. Please do not put anything gray in here - that would not do anything to improve the room. How about blue? https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6800-something-blue

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I like it too! But then, beige is my thing.

    I would pull a deeper color from the granite for the walls.

    Although your curtain is cute, maybe you are tired of it. Something new to look at might be just what you need.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I was recently trying to help my sister with travertine floors in her new home. They are EVERYWHERE! The yellow lighting in your bathroom makes it difficult to see the actual colors of your floors/granite (especially the granite since the natural light from the window is farther away). My sister was doing a “whole house” makeover - so found some photos from Carla Aston - she has beautifully designed rooms on her website. She uses some blues that are really pretty - navy and grayish blue. She also has a color pallet incorporating charcoal grey. Maybe you could use one of these colors on your vanity?

    https://carlaaston.com/designed/oh-travertine-what-do-we-do-with-you-now

  • 5 years ago






  • 5 years ago




  • 5 years ago

    You love colors....get new towels and a larger rug in a COLOR you like. Maybe add a new shower curtain in that color. That’s enough until you are ready for a more complete renovation. Don’t paint the vanity gray with all that beige. A guest does not spend much time in the bathroom contemplating your decorating skills. If the plumbing works and everything is clean you are fine for now.

  • 5 years ago

    I love the Carla Aston color pallets. I hadn’t thought about blue and I don’t know why because I love blue. Could I go with a deep blue for the walls? Or for the vanity. Here is s better picture of the granite.

  • 5 years ago

    If we reglazed, would I do the same color?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    oh no I would go for a white color, like your standard white tile, its a timeless color that will always look good. But I would also recommend you change out your shower curtain as well to something with blue accents and perhaps a blue hand towel

  • 5 years ago

    something like this





  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    also your sink looks very almond beigioush in color (and not in a good way either) so if you do get your shower reglazed ask them to reglaze the sink as well as it would probably be a vry nominal charge and most tile reglazers are willing to reglaze sinks.


  • 5 years ago

    I didn’t know about reglazing. I would love it white. Then the only thing left the beige/almond color is the toilet which we could easily replace. I am going to look into this. Thanks.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I like dark blues/moody blues. I am not a fan of royal type blues - but others are. I think felizlady is correct - I wouldn’t paint your vanity gray. I do think that if you painted your vanity one of the blues you like, and you add some colorful towels/rug/wall art - and replace your shower curtain - it would look very nice.

    Here are some ideas:





    FYI - the app works well - the top vanity is painted with Naval and it selected that color paint.

  • 5 years ago




  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    If you use color snap (I think that’s right) - Sherwin Williams - it will generate paint colors. We can use this to find a paint color that matches the blue you like for your vanity. With respect to using a dark blue on your walls, I have seen many comments from actual professionals who have suggested dark paint on bathroom walls before. I hope some experts will share their opinions re: this issue.



    We can do it with the other color pallets from Carla Aston. If we use these, we can generate colors which will work specifically with the blue vanity color and your tile.

    Apparently, Caviar goes with all of it!

    FYI - your the very first post where I’ve suggested colors - I am an attorney - so obviously, not an interior design expert by any stretch of the imagination!




    Re: glazing your tub/sink - I’ve seen many blogs where someone has done this - BUT - from what I’ve read on Houzz from professionals - it doesn’t wear very well. I wouldn’t want you to spend $ engaging a company to glaze your sink/tub + $ replacing your toilet, if it will only last for a short time.

  • 5 years ago

    Don’t spend money on reglazing anything. Save your $ for a reno. Meanwhile, embrace the beige by pulling a darker color from the granite and repaint your walls. Replace your shower curtain with a bold patterned one, keep it drawn shut and you’ll barely notice the tile. Finally, replace the lights with brighter bulbs.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I wouldn't spend the money to re-glaze anything. Beige is perfectly acceptable for the tub and sink as long as it's clean and undamaged. The problem is that all your soft finishing touches are also beige. In my opinion, navy is nice but I'd want to go with a lighter blue, maybe an aqua or teal - something with a little more personality/originality like in dmac's last pic in their first post above.

    Try replacing the shower curtain, towels and rug, maybe get a new mirror in a beautiful frame, then see if that's enough to get you out of your funk. If not, paint the walls. Your vanity appears to be a nice, clean white - I'd be reluctant to paint it.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you all so much for your time and thoughts. I didn’t know about colorsnap. I’ve used PlantSnap so same idea. Very cool. I’m liking the idea of bringing in blue with accessories. And inexpensive start. Thank you again. 🤗

  • 5 years ago

    Take a look at the color Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams.


    Sea Salt is the color paint on these walls.


    Village Park Eco Home · More Info



  • 5 years ago

    I love Sea Salt - painted our upstairs that color. It's extremely changeable based on the light in the room - direction, time of day, etc. I think it's best in an area that gets some natural light but not super bright. I agree it would be nice in the bathroom since you have a window in there!

  • 5 years ago

    Sea salt is beautiful. Thank you riverscox25 for letting me see what blue would like like in there.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I'd leave the walls white and paint the vanity dark grey. go for one that has a slightly warm undertone, with a satin finish. it will make the tile and granite appear lighter. paint the mirror frame to match the vanity.

    once that's done, play around with some new towels, shower curtain, etc. possibly a color like sea salt or mint green and white. I like to go for solid color towels and rug, and a pattern for the shower curtain or otherwise it's too busy.

    what does your faucet and light fixture look like? upgrading those might make a pretty big impact, and it's relatively easy.

    I don't like the style in this pic below, but I do like the colors. the grey vanity works well with the granite counter and beige floor. your granite and floor are less busy than this one, so I think it'll look even better.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It's up to you but If I were you I would opt to reglaze the tub in addition to the other suggestions above as you say it is a guest bath. I have no idea how often that shower is in use but it is a guest bath that must not be used very often which will lead to a longer lasting finish. The average reglaze done by a professional will last 10 years, which imo is well worth the 300-700 dollars. Another thing to consider when making your choices is when you want to do a full reno on your shower, and if you plan on doing one in the next few years, then reglazing might not make any sense but if you don't then a professional re-glazing could be a very good option. BTW reglazing can be a durable finish it just depends on who you choose to do it, how often you clean it, and how oftern the shower is used. But i have seen trends in reglazing and generally if you go with a reputable company you should get a good finish lasting years to come. As long as you get a reputable company that knows what their doing you should be good.

  • 5 years ago

    First, change out lightbulbs to 4000K....available on Amazon. That will cool down the yellow in the beige everything! Funny, I too have a small guest bathroom with floor tiles very similar to yours and I have been thinking about how to update it. I am going to replace my white vanity with a wood one to bring contrast with the floor. And I think navy as an accent color will liven it up.....mine and yours! I would stay the heck away from grey as that will only muddy everything. Please post pictures when you are done!

  • 5 years ago

    I tried playing around with the color tool on the Benjamin Moore site. I think I like the idea of a darker blue on the walls. This isn’t quite the shade, but I think it makes a difference. What do you all think?

  • 5 years ago

    I love Carla astons style

  • 5 years ago

    I would stay away from painting the walls a dark blue as it could make the room look smaller, i would try to bring in blue accents like maybe painting the vanity blue, or bringing in a shower curtain with blue accents or a new hand towel.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with Jainag. I still like your original idea of painting the vanity dark grey. it will make the countertop and floor look brighter. you can bring in color with a new shower curtain, towels, etc.

  • 5 years ago

    After looking at lots of pictures on Houzz, I’m also thinking of a dark brown/mahogany color for the vanity. But can’t find the right brown on the paint sites. Then I could bring in blue with shower curtain and towels.

  • 5 years ago

    Painting the walls of a small bathroom in dark color will make it appear smaller. Might be OK for a tiny half bath where people go in, use the toilet, wash their hands and leave, but not where the room is used for longer periods of time, i.e., bathing, dressing, & morning vanity tasks (brushing teeth, combing hair, makeup application). The previous suggestions to change the light bulbs to a whiter color are good--they'll brighten up the space. I'm not a fan of the blue you showed yesterday--almost teal, but not quite. A lighter shade of this color might work. But I like the idea of leaving the walls and shower, toilet and sink the almond color and finding a shower curtain you like that doesn't clash with the countertop and has a design in almond, blues and other colors (maybe a darkish brown that would look good on the vanity, though is painting the vanity necessary? Is it showing wear? Or are you just tired of all that beige/almond? Painting wood is lots of work and it's hard to get a good finish--lots of sanding, priming and at least 2-3 coats of paint). Next add towels in the blue color of the curtain design. Painting the vanity gray would only add to the dated feel of the room; however, perhaps a darkish brown might work--but you may find it won't be necessary once you have your new fabrics in the room. Several years ago I read an article about what items should be bought first in a renovation--before painting and woods. First is the primary print you like. e.g., curtains, or rug or a large upholstered furniture, etc., then use those colors to decide wall color, other fabrics, flooring material, etc. Once I started using this method, the rooms I've done have fallen into place MUCH easier--and faster!

  • 5 years ago

    Your bathroom looks like it’s well care for and in very good condition. You could replace faucets, lighting fixture and pulls to an oiled bronze finish.

  • 5 years ago

    @reginagayle. Thank you for your comments and ideas. I think I am just bored with the almond/beige colors. I hear what you and others are saying about maybe all I need is to bring in some color with shower curtain, towels, etc. And we will change the light bulbs. Here is a shower curtain I found that I like. I may buy it and go from there.

  • 5 years ago

    @Jainag. Do you remember where you saw that shower curtain you posted?

  • 5 years ago

    Mainstays Hadley Blue Waterproof PEVA Shower Curtain, 70x72 - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

    Here it is it's price is EXTREMELY reasonable and I think it looks great!

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks. I’ll take a look.